Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
Always get great advice from you Funsters so could you please provide some further help:
Presently north of Bordeaux but planning to now travel on down South. Got plenty of time so prefer to travel on non toll roads suitable for our large Fifth Wheeler rig. Plan to cross border and travel along the north coast of Spain into Portugal . Any advice regarding routes, aires and suitable campsites greatly appreciated.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Lots of threads on here detailing how to avoid the tolls south of Bordeaux.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Worth paying tolls around Biaritz area as roads are a nightmare for any larger vehicles(y)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Personally don't like the coastal route. Its a great drive from Bordeaux down through Langdon, Mont de Marsan, Orthez then over the Pyrenees to Pamplona from St-Jean-Pied-De-Port. All non toll and some great scenery.

Its a little slow going with a big set up, we've a 10m van towing car transporter trailer, we've traveled that route all times of the year and over the mountains hardly any traffic. We normally stop at the aire at Mont de Marsan and then go straight over and stay a few nights at the aire just out of Pamplona.

Which ever route you take have a great time.

Shawn

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would advise staying on the A63 toll road for the last 3 toll booths and crossing the border on the toll road and staying on the AP-1 toll road until the A 15. All non toll from there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As you have a large rig, you may be a little restricted in your choice of routes into Spain.
The road from St John Pied de Port has several tight hairpin bends which are fine in my 7.2 metre fixed body. Further south is a long free tunnel. The Spanish side is fine but several blind hairpins on the French side, make this uncomfortable for many drivers, although large trucks use this route. As mentioned above, the main roads in the region of San Sebastian would certainly be my first choice with a fifth wheeler. Your SatNav should be able to find a route avoiding tolls.
I am not sure whether you can use Motorhome Aires but Vitoria and Burgos both have good reasons architecturally to visit them.
If you stay in northern Spain, the weather can be depressing, with high rainfalls.
Install Camper Contact or Park4night both free without frills and the choices for stopping over are huge.
Good Luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back