Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
North East England
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
We are newbies
Does anyone have recommendations for books for converting a panel van into a camper please?

Also are there catalogues for accessories such as lighting, sinks, cupboards and appliances etc

We are newbies embarking on this journey :D

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Probably a good idea to go to the NEC show in October. One or two of the exhibitors do have catalogues of their stock to give away but there's much to see in the way of ideas as well.

OP
OP
Deekay64

Deekay64

Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
North East England
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
We are newbies
Thank you for the replies. We’ve been looking for a show but thought we’d missed this years!

Jimmy says the links are exactly what he’s looking for

Thanks again

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What are you converting? Please take photos as you go along and post them for us all to follow your progress. Welcome to Fun.

OP
OP
Deekay64

Deekay64

Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
North East England
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
We are newbies
What are you converting? Please take photos as you go along and post them for us all to follow your progress. Welcome to Fun.

We are currently sourcing the van. He’d like a Merc Sprinter but we saw an Iveco yesterday which was impressive.

We’re not ruling out anything at this stage though as long as it’s long wheel base and high roofed with reasonable mileage

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Wanting to know more about the workings of a motorhome, I bought this: -
"Build Your Own Dream Camper Van for less than £1000 - That s including the cost of the van!"
Contains some really useful information. You can preview it on Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We are currently sourcing the van. He’d like a Merc Sprinter but we saw an Iveco yesterday which was impressive.

We’re not ruling out anything at this stage though as long as it’s long wheel base and high roofed with reasonable mileage
If you are thinking on a transverse fixed bed, check the internal width allowing for the insulation.

Fiat Ducato is one of the few that has enough width for a transverse fixed bed, hence being popular with many convertors..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
for fresh water and waste tanks, pipes anything to do with plumping and a host of other products . CAK Tanks
i found them the most difficult people to deal with it was easier and cheaper to get tanks made than order from caks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my advice for anyone contemplating a self build
go out and buy six tape measures and a box of a hundred pencils

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Have got the two Wickersham books build your own and the manual and various parts after my own build if interested...07989094355 or through site .Reguards Chris

Pugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
Luton Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
For help with the technical stuff, I bought an e-book from vandogtraveller, who documented his own build with circuit diagrams, lists of parts and how he connected the,. Some parts I thought he could have done in better ways, but for £10 it was invaluable when I started my first van. http://vandogtraveller.com/van-conversion-book-from-van-to-home/
Most of the stuff is also on his online blog for free, but supporting his efforts was worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back