Free Member
May 9, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
autosleeper
Exp
new
Hi there, as relative newcomers, we are planning to head up to the Lake District for about 10 days on May 21st. I've seen some very helpful ideas about sites but can't get a handle on whether we need to book ahead? Would prefer not to if possible. Any ideas from you more experienced travellers appreciated.

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Hi - We live in North Wales and have been visiting the Lake District several times a year for many years. We don't like big sites (either commercial or Caravan Club) and prefer to stay on the Caravan Club CLs but they do get booked up in peak time. There are not that many of them - considering the popularity of the area - and they take only 5 vans. So strongly recommend booking if that's the sort of site you want (You need to be Caravan Club members). Don't know about the bigger sites. Enjoy anyway - make sure you take water proofs!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you will find that many sites are already getting booked up for the summer. It may be possible that you find a space turning up on the off chance, but I would suggest you at a minimum phone the sites that interest you to avoid disapointment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I,ve been trying to book into the Lakes area for Whit week without any success and to be honest I found the prices even for the CL,s and CS,s stupid, eventually got fixed up privately outside Barmouth, I,m beginning to wonder about the use of the CC and CCC.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Trying to tour the Lakes without booking is a no, no. It appears we have to book. a year in advance to tour there. There is an Aire of types at Ambleside which is ok and only a short walk from the town. Better tour Lancashire which is very similar, cheaper and less touristy.
After 25 years in both major clubs I to am fed up with them. You can never get booked and they are just raking it in from members. How about motorhome fun starting a petition to allow more Aires.
We are off to France next weekend for 9 weeks and haven't made any bookings. Never need to and if a site is busy or full they always manage to fit us in, no jobsworth wardens or holiday site people to quote rule books.
Enjoy wherever you roam.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back