Booked first trip to France and the planning begins (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning all, ive just booked our first trip to France for 15 days. i know i have seen on here people posting routes but i cant find them, looking for some alternatives as if the weather is good we will stay closer this side if not travel down to the sun, nice views,cycling,wine and beaches. any recommendations would be great. :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Love planning, spend weeks or months planning, then once across the water tend to abandon plans for better things. Still love the planning though, part of the fun I think. What really happens is we get to the part of France/Holland/Germany we fancied then make it up as we go along. Heading straight south to the Med is almost certain for sunshine, we did this one year, a cold summer here I think, and got to Sete a day and a half after driving off the ferry, and that was with a caravan! Hot and sunny, just what we wanted.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Morning all, ive just booked our first trip to France for 15 days. i know i have seen on here people posting routes but i cant find them,

Maybe here?

looking for some alternatives as if the weather is good we will stay closer this side if not travel down to the sun, nice views,cycling,wine and beaches. any recommendations would be great. :)

Don't mess about with English-style weather if you're crossing the Channel, you can be in Poitiers in a day from Calais - the weather south of there is generally more pleasant than north of there. We all have our favourites obviously, but from what you describe I can heartily recommend the Charente-Maritime region, especially round the Ile de Re, the Ile d'Oleron, La Rochelle and La Palmyre. The islands are excellent for cycling and their south west facing beaches are good fun.

The Atlantic coast south of the Gironde/Bordeaux is certainly dramatic but is a bit much of a muchness all the way down to Biarritz, ie big flat wild beaches and loads of dunes with pine forests behind them, dotted with the occasional resort. I don't mind that but others may prefer more variety.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Planning might be part of the holiday fun for some but we have found that it's better not to be too rigid.
Check out the weather, I use Metro France, and head towards the best and warmest.
If you use aires or don't travel in the peak holiday season you won't need to book ahead. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

Richard.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The only thing we ever plan is booking the crossing - usually the tunnel using Tesco vouchers to save some money for the food & wine!

Denise

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Planning might be part of the holiday fun for some but we have found that it's better not to be too rigid.
Check out the weather, I use Metro France, and head towards the best and warmest.
If you use aires or don't travel in the peak holiday season you won't need to book ahead. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

Richard.
That is the plan but we can both get a bit stressed and find having a plan, even if nor followed makes us feel more relaxed

Upvote 0

fraefreuchie

Free Member
Sep 24, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 510
Exp
since 2014
There is a really good all year round ACSi site in Nantes which is the gateway to the Loire (wine ) or the Vendee ( wine, beaches and microclimat) La Rochelle is a good destination for a 15 day trip from an unspecified port of embarcation.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Our first trip to France in the MH we planned and we booked campsites , as we didn't feel confident. However we realised we didn't need the big family sites with pools etc and often found small municipal ones or Aires in towns with restaurants markets cafe s supermarkets and all you need.
Now we plan a rough route look for Aires and aim for places or towns of interest.
One major bit of advice we got from a fellow MH on an aire is don't try to do to many miles a day enjoy the shortish drive and then stay a day or to if somewhere seems nice.
Enjoy!! And Bon Voyage!:france:

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our first trip to France in the MH we planned and we booked campsites , as we didn't feel confident. However we realised we didn't need the big family sites with pools etc and often found small municipal ones or Aires in towns with restaurants markets cafe s supermarkets and all you need.
Now we plan a rough route look for Aires and aim for places or towns of interest.
One major bit of advice we got from a fellow MH on an aire is don't try to do to many miles a day enjoy the shortish drive and then stay a day or to if somewhere seems nice.
Enjoy!! And Bon Voyage!:france:
Spot on @Anthea M.
We try not to drive for more than about 3 hours in a day and aim to arrive at an Aire in time for lunch.
That way you get a choice of pitch and then have time to explore in the afternoon.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back