Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Want to go to Spain January and February and thought be best go to Santander but would it be best to book early or leave it nearer the time ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Think you might already be too late - price already on the way up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
kickstart

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Booked it tonight £35 deposit and £723 to pay November, booked the cruise rather than economy with inside cabins both ways, I recon it will be better than driving down through France in January and probably as cheap.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Looked last night at booking for mid Sept, return Dec, best price I could find was for Bilbao, £1097.

I keep seeing posts stating that it's just as cheap as Calais/Tolls/Fuel but it doesn't cost me almost £1100 to do the drive.

I looked at booking this in April but it was still coming up at around £900 booking several months in advance.

Do you Costa Verde cruiseline fans have a secret button to push to get a greatly reduced prices?

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Going Boxing Day coming back 28 Feb.
Tunnel is £203 return. 8m Motorhome.
Fuel return to Beni is around £360 @ 1.2€/£
So total is around £560.
Don't pay tolls, not rushing, takes around 3 or 4 days each way, depending on how we feel. Lovely drive , loads of nice FREE Aires. Super fresh food/ bread/cheese/wine, on way at super cheap prices. Love it. Half the price of Ferry and (for us) much more enjoyable.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i go to spain in nov come back next year the ferry is 424 quid return from plymouth . i cant drive down through and back up for that . i like the spanish route . mind i am a travel club member .
oh mine is 10mtrs

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
we are going in november.GWG which route do you take please?
Calais to Rouen, maybe stop at Pont-de- I'Arche Aire just over bridge right in town nice shops etc.
Down through Chartres, Chateaudun (Aire in Carpark next to Chateau)
Pointers, Angouleme, (Aire at Roullet, just south of Angouleme)
Past Bourdeax, there are 3 toll booths between Bordeaux and Spanish border. Just drive off junction before and drive round them.
Over Border, loads of stops in this area. Turn 1st left and up N121 to Pamplona. Zaragoza, usually stop at Carenina, quiet Aire by sports hall, or noisy Truckstop.
A23 to Valencia, then coast road N332 (not AP7) to Beni.
Lots of other Aires in France but less options in Spain. Although some street parking Aires in Pamplona and Teruel. (We no like)
Nice relaxed Drive rarely go over 65 so good economy.
Tough Life

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You could of used my discount kikstart!

Never mind.

Yes, it will get more expensive as you get nearer. We have 10 single crossing booked on the Spanish route from now until next November. Some less than £200 each way with our discount.

But, I have just had to do a last minute booking, going the only dates available in August. 1 way car, back in motorhome £1,000 total. The same crossings booked now for next year are 1/2 that. But will go up as time passes and its a supply and demand system.

TM

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Book early and then you have a choice of cabin. It never gets cheaper,,have you got a discount code? BUSBY.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I always book ferry to Spain, although I have driven through France because of ferry cancellations. Much prefer the ferry, but I think the discussion is pointless. Those who prefer to drive and take several days, and say it's cheaper - as though that clinches it - well, fine. I prefer the ferry, and for me that's fine - less stress. But neither of us is going to be convinced by the other, so let's just allow each to chose which suits them best and leave it at that.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Past Bourdeax, there are 3 toll booths between Bordeaux and Spanish border. Just drive off junction before and drive round them.

In the past I have avoided all tolls but this year I will avoid the first two and pay the ransom for the final stretch to the Spanish border. That particular section off the toll route has tended to take a lot of time.

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
I always book ferry to Spain, although I have driven through France because of ferry cancellations. Much prefer the ferry, but I think the discussion is pointless. Those who prefer to drive and take several days, and say it's cheaper - as though that clinches it - well, fine. I prefer the ferry, and for me that's fine - less stress. But neither of us is going to be convinced by the other, so let's just allow each to chose which suits them best and leave it at that.
Er ? Its a discussion, thats what forums are for !! If you don't want to join in, fine.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
With due respect I think my point is that this particular discussion, which has been rehearsed ad nauseum, will get nowhere. There are those who will "prove", quoting various figures, that one way is better than another, largely due to price. People have different priorities, different preferences and I don't think either group are going to be persuaded. Same with toll roads vs non-toll roads. Those who prefer not to pay will go on the N roads, those who don't mind paying and like the convenience (and greater safety) of the autopista will go that way - and never the twain shall meet.

And I was joining in by saying that really it's a non-discussion. If you disagree, then fine. No problem.

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
Geejay.
It was just people offering their own experiences ! The only one trying to "prove" or "clinch it" was you. Its not a competion. You can learn a lot from reading other opinions. Doesn't need to " go anywhere".
If you want ad nauseum, we can talk about brexit, or gassing, or A frames. ??

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no far better to talk about gas bottle filling adaptors from ebay.
the money you save can pay for the ferry.

Reactions: GWG

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
Recon my Staffie could do Gas bottle filling
He's been on the marrowbones again !!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well i actually used to enjoy driving through france , used to see otters swimming in the river at perigeaux , then across to sarlat. and on to gourdon stop by the lakes ,enormous fish swimming around in them , then down through toulouse and on to axe le therms . see hot water running down the streets . and on to andorra .
lots nice parking on the way .
but now i travel later in the year so find plymouth santander great . 20 hrs and i,m there . miss the weather in france and visit canyons with griffen vultures flying around . on the a lake with thousands of cranes migrating south . have seen about 30,000 birds there . but they tell me 50,000 is normal.
then on to the med .
every one does their own thing . i do miss france but in november i find it too cold wet and spain just a bit nicer .
mind its all part of an adventure . have a happy one thats the main thing . if your not happy try something different.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We've just booked Santander going out in February, Bilbao coming home in May. We have a pet friendly, 4 berth outside cabin for £940 return through Camping and Caravanning club.

The ferry we are going out on is being refurbished from 12th February until end of March, so anyone wanting that time frame should get in touch soon!

Ginny

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We've just booked Santander going out in February, Bilbao coming home in May. We have a pet friendly, 4 berth outside cabin for £940 return through Camping and Caravanning club.

The ferry we are going out on is being refurbished from 12th February until end of March, so anyone wanting that time frame should get in touch soon!

Ginny

I go out mid november,,return early feb,, less than £600 with outside cabin,,de lux with telly going out. Only 5.2 metre van and member of Brittany Club.

OP
OP
kickstart

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Well we are looking forward to it now, hope it will be a mild winter and an easy drive down, just received All the Aires in Spain and Portugal and see it has some campsites in it so thats my reading for the next day or two, we normally don't like booking sites, but rather driving and having a look when we get there but it sounds like it gets quite busy January and February and it might be best to book a few sites beforehand ?

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
There are a lot of sites that close for winter, so you may not find it easy to book, even if you know ? How far you will drive each day. Aires are not busy in Jan you can always get a spot. Although some water may be turned off, so carry enough.
If you use Aires you can vary how far you drive according to the weather etc. And they are free ! (France) As usual you pays your money and takes your choice.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Re your original query, BF operates a dynamic pricing system, so the earlier you book the cheaper, the later and the more the berths fill up, the dearer. So, if you can, book early.

Re sites, I believe the coastal sites can be busy but many of the inland sites in Spain, which we use, are quiet.

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Book early and then you have a choice of cabin. It never gets cheaper,,have you got a discount code? BUSBY.
Can you please tell me what the discount code is for.

Linda and nick

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Can someone help us with the best route and places to stay in france through to Spain as we are planning to go for Xmas and New year,

Would be very much appreciated

Linda and nick

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We always book months in advance because we like an outside cabin and a large dog kennel. And getting everything we want has previously proved to be quite difficult at the last minute and I really don't fancy a dog smelly,I mean dog friendly,cabin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back