LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We stayed at Camping Monmar at Moncofa [about 45 miles down the coast from Bonterra Park; and then moved to Camping Allegria at Benicarlo. Monmar is nice BUT the Xmas Rally with enforced Santa jollity encouraged us to move on to Allegria.The latter has a 'super pitch' section with gated access to the beach walk into Benicarlo. Quite delightful if you can cope with geritric German roadtrains of electric bikes. The Germans just cannot grasp that the cycle lane is on the road, so diplomatic incidents were sparked on a few occasions ...

Steve
That's because in Germany in general they have separate cycle lanes next to the road not in the road.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
That's because in Germany in general they have separate cycle lanes next to the road not in the road.
Ah, but they're in Spain and the markings are quite clear ... And riding at speed when th gap between cyclist and pedestrian is less than 18 inches is a] dangerous; and b] asking for a confrontation.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We stayed at Camping Monmar at Moncofa [about 45 miles down the coast from Bonterra Park; and then moved to Camping Allegria at Benicarlo. Monmar is nice BUT the Xmas Rally with enforced Santa jollity encouraged us to move on to Allegria.The latter has a 'super pitch' section with gated access to the beach walk into Benicarlo. Quite delightful if you can cope with geritric German roadtrains of electric bikes. The Germans just cannot grasp that the cycle lane is on the road, so diplomatic incidents were sparked on a few occasions ...

Steve
We were at Camping Monmar every winter from 2014 until 2018 on the C&CC winter rally the stewards were Dawn and Steve Cash
Really liked the area and it good for easy cycling on the cycle lanes up through the Orange groves.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Ah, but they're in Spain and the markings are quite clear ... And riding at speed when th gap between cyclist and pedestrian is less than 18 inches is a] dangerous; and b] asking for a confrontation.

Steve
I totally agree, nothing to do with Germany, if in Spain then follow the Spanish rules, itā€™s very simple.

Iā€™d have been tempted to knock them off if I felt my wife or I were in danger of being struck by a cyclist.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We were at Camping Monmar every winter from 2014 until 2018 on the C&CC winter rally the stewards were Dawn and Steve Cash
Really liked the area and it good for easy cycling on the cycle lanes up through the Orange groves
We were next door but one to Dawn and Steve in 2018/19 and they are a pleasant and fun couple. It's just that I don't do the 'it's Xmas, so let's be nice until we get to 6th January when we can revert to the normal crabbit character', which is why we steer clear of the Rally! That's when we know it's time to move on, exiting stage left and look for the next place of peace and quiet and beachside walks by the Med.

But the wander through the orange groves [turn left out of the site and then first left off the main road] into Moncofa is rather pleasant. Will be nice to return and catch up with people we met, when QR Codes & Jag Passports are but a distant memory!

Steve & Elaine

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We've been at Bonterra about 4 or 5 times in January and rate it very highly. Weather wise, we have had rainy and windy days but very few. You can get out and about most days but if it has been a sunny day, we find it gets cold as the light starts to go (about 5pm) but then stabilizes once dark.
We usually manage to eat outside the MH most days We've only seen the slightest hint of frost one morning and that was on metal surfaces but was gone by 10am.

Its a very hand site for all amenities and being so close to town there is a lot open.

IMPORTANT.
If you want to book, do so online at their own website. You can pay the 25( or 33?)% deposit by bank card and the balance when you leave.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We were next door but one to Dawn and Steve in 2018/19 and they are a pleasant and fun couple. It's just that I don't do the 'it's Xmas, so let's be nice until we get to 6th January when we can revert to the normal crabbit character', which is why we steer clear of the Rally! That's when we know it's time to move on, exiting stage left and look for the next place of peace and quiet and beachside walks by the Med.

But the wander through the orange groves [turn left out of the site and then first left off the main road] into Moncofa is rather pleasant. Will be nice to return and catch up with people we met, when QR Codes & Jag Passports are but a distant memory!

Steve & Elaine
Were you in a caravan back then , we were in the row behind but right down at the bottom very close to the wee toilet block .

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Were you in a caravan back then , we were in the row behind but right down at the bottom very close to the wee toilet block .
Year 1 [2018/19] we were in a Gobur Folding Caravan, next door but 2 from Steve & Dawn [forgot that they had 2 pitches, one for their caravan and the second for the meeting tent. The next caravan/motorhome pitch was occupied by the Scot who had the enormous flagpole and a Saltire flying at about 25 feet!

2019/20 we were in a 16 year old Swift Charisma Jura [Knowe Park Dealer Special] but on the top part of the site, next to Baz and Tina in their super posh motorhome. They were 2nd pitch down on the first service road that faces the Bar/Social Club some 50 metres further down.

Steve & Elaine

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I totally agree, nothing to do with Germany, if in Spain then follow the Spanish rules, itā€™s very simple.

Iā€™d have been tempted to knock them off if I felt my wife or I were in danger of being struck by a cyclist.
I did stop the Road Train on a couple of occasions by leaning my right shoulder towards the rider; it was too close for them to risk riding at speed at such close quarters. I just wanted to make the point that the cycle lane was 5 metres away, that riding at people on an electric bike was dangerous, and pedestrians have priority on footpaths.

Steve

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Year 1 [2018/19] we were in a Gobur Folding Caravan, next door but 2 from Steve & Dawn [forgot that they had 2 pitches, one for their caravan and the second for the meeting tent. The next caravan/motorhome pitch was occupied by the Scot who had the enormous flagpole and a Saltire flying at about 25 feet!

2019/20 we were in a 16 year old Swift Charisma Jura [Knowe Park Dealer Special] but on the top part of the site, next to Baz and Tina in their super posh motorhome. They were 2nd pitch down on the first service road that faces the Bar/Social Club some 50 metres further down.

Steve & Elaine
I remember a Gobur van being there although we didnā€™t converse with everyone one in the rally so dont think we actually met
As for the guy next to you with the flagpole was he an ex military policeman and his wife was good bit younger

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I remember a Gobur van being there although we didnā€™t converse with everyone one in the rally so dont think we actually met
As for the guy next to you with the flagpole was he an ex military policeman and his wife was good bit younger
Small world! The windstorms at Monmar did buffet Gobby the Gobur, but were as nothing compared to the more open pitches at Camping Allegria! Quite unnerving, being able to reach over the top of the wall and get my entire hand in the gap 'twixt wall and ceiling!

Steve & Elaine

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone there needs to walk the prom and look at all the Villas that are classics & from a time of gay abandon when built by the rich and locally famous for partying. They are named and have a lot of history to them, which I think is on plaques on the garden wall. There are similar villas, but fewer, in Navajas just off the A23 not too far away which is another nice place to camp, especially for the via verde.

The cycle ride along the via verde to Peniscola is a very pleasant trip too, or a good walk for those able. It runs directly behind the campsite & can be accessed with a key from reception.

Not sure what the issues are exactly with the water in this town but you have to get drinking water from a special tap on the campsite & locals get it in big containers at the water fountain on the way into town, like a bandstand, unless theyā€™ve done something about it in recent years.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Anyone there needs to walk the prom and look at all the Villas that are classics & from a time of gay abandon when built by the rich and locally famous for partying. They are named and have a lot of history to them, which I think is on plaques on the garden wall. There are similar villas, but fewer, in Navajas just off the A23 not too far away which is another nice place to camp, especially for the via verde.

The cycle ride along the via verde to Peniscola is a very pleasant trip too, or a good walk for those able. It runs directly behind the campsite & can be accessed with a key from reception.

Not sure what the issues are exactly with the water in this town but you have to get drinking water from a special tap on the campsite & locals get it in big containers at the water fountain on the way into town, like a bandstand, unless theyā€™ve done something about it in recent years.
Never had any bother with the water.We use the water from the taps on the pitches.Have done for years..BUSBY.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Never had any bother with the water.We use the water from the taps on the pitches.Have done for years..BUSBY.
Iā€™m pretty sure when we first visited this site, about 2013/14 the site staff said we must use the special drinking water tap, which I seem to recall was near the toilet block, and not to use the pitch tap for drinking. We adhered to their instruction.

Then when in the town we saw the rather ornate water stations near the roundabout and saw droves of Spanish arrive in cars & on foot and obtain water in large food type water containers & take them away, presumably home.

We saw the same happen when we last visited Benicassim around 2018.

We have seen similar public water fountains with multiple access taps in Mojaca but had no idea why at the time.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Iā€™m pretty sure when we first visited this site, about 2013/14 the site staff said we must use the special drinking water tap, which I seem to recall was near the toilet block, and not to use the pitch tap for drinking. We adhered to their instruction.

Then when in the town we saw the rather ornate water stations near the roundabout and saw droves of Spanish arrive in cars & on foot and obtain water in large food type water containers & take them away, presumably home.

We have seen similar public water fountains with multiple access taps in Mojaca but had no idea why at the time.
We stayed at Camping Allegria, Benicarlos on a serviced pitch with a water supply [non potable] andsink. Drinking water was supplied from a separate tap at the end of the run of pitches. There is a Pumping Station/Processing Plant about 500m from the site, so perhaps the non potable stuff comes from that Plant.

Steve

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Can remember using a site near Olivia years ago and the tap labeled Aqua Potable was at the opposite end of the site to our van.Was filling my container up one day when the owner of the site asked me why I was filling up so far from my van.I pointed to the sign.He smiled and then informed me that there was just the one water pipe entering the site and all the water came from the same source..šŸ˜„ Not the case everywhere.BUSBY.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Can remember using a site near Olivia years ago and the tap labeled Aqua Potable was at the opposite end of the site to our van.Was filling my container up one day when the owner of the site asked me why I was filling up so far from my van.I pointed to the sign.He smiled and then informed me that there was just the one water pipe entering the site and all the water came from the same source..šŸ˜„ Not the case everywhere.BUSBY.
would that be kiko park

Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1986
We have found the weather in the south east of Spain consistently better in winter than other areas including Malaga

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
A bit further south in Murcia province you will find the driest of all the provinces and the temperatures are just a bit warmer. A few of the members live there & we once did for a short time. Lovely place to be

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back