Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm just about to part with my cash and order a set of external windscreen covers ready for the winter. I saw a van in Kent with a bonnet cover on and wondered if anyone on here has one and if so do they help to stop draughts etc or do I not bother?

Link Removed

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm just about to part with my cash and order a set of external windscreen covers ready for the winter. I saw a van in Kent with a bonnet cover on and wondered if anyone on here has one and if so do they help to stop draughts etc or do I not bother?

Link Removed

I got the Taylormade long windscreen cover which covers the bonnet vents on my 2010 Boxer. This keeps rain water out of your engine bay and in my opinion is quite sufficient without the need for the bonnet cover.:thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I have no idea whether it will stop drafts but you will know if you have a draft because you will feel it as you drive down the road. Depending on the age and design of your vehicle I think you will find the engine compartment is quite well insulated and air tight from the cabin.
as for external screens I have some but not used then yet (Silverscreens) but from what I have read they are the better option.

Interested to know what others think though:thumb:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
It's the longer screen covers I'm going for. Have to be an improvement on the internal screens as my cab is so draughty we nearly froze our butts off last winter :cry:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The difference having a silver screen and the vent bib on in the winter makes a heck of a difference . We use ours all year round , and the Mizar GTL living is fully winterized too. The bib stops drafts from the air vents.
If i was living in a MH i would most certainly have screens and bib.
We dont have the bonnet cover.
I have seen folk use old quilts in -12 plus temps when we were in Aviemore last New Year. But they had older and different models to ours. I dont think we need one with ours. But if you think you do and your moving around alot , a silver screen bonnet cover , would be easier to pack up than a soggy old duvet:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
My van's 11 yrs old so I'll see how I get on with just the external screen.

The long one you propose getting will do the job fine, the biggest benefit you haven't mentioned is that it will prevent condensation on the inside of the cab windows I was amazed this time last year we were parked up with the screen folded down, as the sun went down the windscreen suddenly started to mist up, I rolled the screen cover up and almost immediately the condensation cleared.:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the taylormade long outside screens and the difference is amazing, you can feel the heat building up as soon as you put them on.
We were at Skegness last winter and had them delivered to the campsite were were on and that night had a lovely warm cosy night.
We did though in -17 last winter put an old duvet on the bonnet as well as i read that an engine( somewhere on here I think) had frozen in the extreme cold so just to be on the safe side did that.
And we found that the condensation doesn't build up either, which must help keeping damp at bay in an enclosed space.
ps. we turn to heating control (on dashboard) to enable air circulation and not to bring cold air from outside so that cold air doesn't enter the cab through the vents ( if that makes sense?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back