Bonfire night campsites south west. (1 Viewer)

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Hiya all,
Just looking for a weekend away on bonfire night. Do any of you have any ideas of places to stay that we could be near a firework display? Ideally in the south/south west.
thanks 😊

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure of the campsites nearby I think you may have to drive, but the village of Blackawton in south hams has a great bonfire and firework display if you like a bit of drama. A fire is lit in a large metal gate thing in the village pub car park and then about 4 people carry it through the village with everyone following on behind.

this is taken into A field just outside the village where a very large bonfire has been constructed (one year it was a huge dragon, about 60 foot tall, red glowing eyes and flames coming out of it’s nostrils) and the fire procession is used to start the fire. Of course, major fireworks ensue, there is a large hut in the rec ground where hot dogs, burgers, chilli and baked potatoes can be bought and a great time is had by all!! Take wellies as it can get muddy.

it attracts many and they have a few fields set up for car parking.

also, there use to be a lively smallish bonfire at the elephant’s nest pub just on Dartmoor at Mary Tany near Tavistock but that was years ago…was the sort of,place you could have asked to stay in the car park if you had a meal…

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Longleat used to do a light show. Not fireworks but pretty spectacular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Love2stay in Shrewsbury have a fireworks display on the Saturday night. It’s fully booked currently but keep trying and you might find there is a cancellation.

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Cheers. Fancy a nice little site somewhere that could give us a nice evening from the moho.
Keep the ideas coming cheers

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
St Ives in Cornwall has a fabulous NYE display so I'm sure they will have a November 5th display.

Stay at Ayr Holiday Park on top of the hill and watch from the comfort of your van :)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
St Ives in Cornwall has a fabulous NYE display so I'm sure they will have a November 5th display.

Stay at Ayr Holiday Park on top of the hill and watch from the comfort of your van :)
Janine, have you seen the price of this site?
It is really expensive, absolutely the best, lovely site and St Ives is magic but you must be willing to pay the prices there 😉

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Shrewsbury showground.
FB_IMG_1632915288211.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've an Incinerator ( like a Galvanised dustbin !about 15 quid from ALDI ) That I burn all our personal paper work, Bank statements and the like. that's getting full, so I'll be setting fire to that soon.

You can come and watch if you want, ! Fireworks you say?

Well IF! I set the thing on fire when the neighbour at the back has a line of washing out, you'll see fireworks alright!:doh:

On a more serious note , before Covid , we stayed at a Camp site on Bodmin Moor , honestly can't remember wether it was 4 or 5 year ago , or the name, something lakes. They had this huge thing made of pallets, some sort of animal, "Beast of Bodmin Moor " comes to mind.

Anyway they were going to set fire to the thing the next weekend , Unfortunately they were fully booked so we couldn't stay to watch. They did say it was an annual thing, hav'nt a clue if it's still going , or even when?
Might be worth a try.??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back