Bolting stuff down? (1 Viewer)

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
New to motorhomes and I'm looking at getting a Nespresso machine. All the machines have a removable water container and a lid for the water container that just sits on top.
I was wondering what do people do about bolting things like this down? Or do you need to?
We will use the Nespresso machine a lot while traveling. Pulling in to make a cup of coffee for the road so this is not something I want to have to pack away or drain after each use.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I suppose it depends where you want to leave it. Ours has a dedicated shelf with a lip and a socket above - the Nespresso machine stays put. If you don’t have a similar shelf can you find somewhere where you can wedge it in place when travelling?

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Nespresso machine and I worried about it staying put on the ledged appliance shelf. Tried heavy duty Velcro adhesive strips on the base but they didn’t hold it.

The best solution was to fill the shelf with the machine and a sliding draw capsule box and then insert two lengths of pipe lagging foam between them to wedge the whole lot in place. This stops movement and rattling. Turning the storage box around for travelling stops the capsules escaping.

If you are sensible then things generally move around less you imagine when travelling. I have several straps and braces that I found I didn’t need. Filling a space works well.

When wild camping and making coffee without EHU I use a Nanopresso. It takes Nespresso pods. Heat the water and milk with gas. Froth the milk with a battery whisk. I own and have tried an inverter to power the Nespresso (1460 watt) but after initial successes I experienced low voltage warnings and became concerned about battery damage. I’ve not used the inverter with my latest batteries.

The Nanopresso is less convenient than just pressing a button, you have to be gentle with the pump to not generate too much pressure in the capsule and it has to be stored clean & dry or mold will develop but it works well and is truly portable. Hand luggage.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our Nespresso machine has a hole in it's base that looks ideally suited to making something that fits inside and fixing it to a shelf.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
Ok so it seems people are finding a nook they can wedge the coffee machine into. That makes sense. I don't think I have a handy spot already for it so I might have to think of something. Might be better off designing a bracket of sorts for it I can use to bolt it down to the counter. I don't really want to drill the counter but that might be the best option everything considered.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I use a stove top coffee maker, less fuss, nicer coffee in my opinion, and a lot cheaper using grounds instead of pods.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used to wrap a bungee round our era bean to cup coffee machine and It stood on a shelf above the fridge when travelling. The bungee attacked to two hooks we put on the wall

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
It always makes me smile when I read about toasters, electric kettles etc. Now each to his/her own, I am not being judgemental but what is wrong with using gas for all of these things?
When we travel we use gas to heat a kettle of water, we use gas to heat a Vesuvius coffee maker, we eat local bread or if desperate for toast you can buy a device that does work on gas. (Used it once!)

What's not to like? It also gives you the best of both worlds if you have no electricity and means you don't blow fuses on French campsites when you plug the kettle in!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
Yeah I don't do campsites so dodgy French leccy isn't going to be a problem. When hooked up I will be on 13 or even 16A and when traveling I have 200A from my alternator. I have the batteries and the inverter to back everything up.

Like I said, this is for while on the go.

What's not to like. Well, I boil the water on the hob, I pour it into my travel mug. I pop in a Nespresso pod and even though I'm stirring like a lunatic the flipping pod just won't dissolve. That, I really don't like that. Happens every time!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't really want to drill the counter but that might be the best option everything considered.
One way to avoid drilling the counter: I have a microwave with feet that are fixed by screws into the base of the microwave. I cut a piece of 9mm ply, and used longer screws to go through the ply, the feet and into the microwave base. Then it's a matter of finding a way to fix the plywood.

I screwed two 2x2cm hardwood battens to the ends of the ply, and a couple of small scews horizontally stops it moving anywhere. Use nice veneered ply with a few coats of varnish and it doesn't look too bad.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I use a stove top coffee maker, less fuss, nicer coffee in my opinion, and a lot cheaper using grounds instead of pods.
+1. No plastic pollution, you don't need hookup or inverter and you get the chance to try local small coffee roasters / blends if you want. Often in a cafe if I have a really great coffee ill ask to buy some of their beans.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another vote for stove top - by which I mean Moka.

However if you need to fasten your chosen electric device to a kitchen surface (after fixing to plywood / aluminium / stainless it can be done with car body tape. It's the black double-sided stuff used to attach badges, trim, etc and is impervious to pretty well anything. It will not let go and only small patches are needed.

Upvote 0

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
We have a Nespresso machine and I worried about it staying put on the ledged appliance shelf. Tried heavy duty Velcro adhesive strips on the base but they didn’t hold it.

The best solution was to fill the shelf with the machine and a sliding draw capsule box and then insert two lengths of pipe lagging foam between them to wedge the whole lot in place. This stops movement and rattling. Turning the storage box around for travelling stops the capsules escaping.

If you are sensible then things generally move around less you imagine when travelling. I have several straps and braces that I found I didn’t need. Filling a space works well.

When wild camping and making coffee without EHU I use a Nanopresso. It takes Nespresso pods. Heat the water and milk with gas. Froth the milk with a battery whisk. I own and have tried an inverter to power the Nespresso (1460 watt) but after initial successes I experienced low voltage warnings and became concerned about battery damage. I’ve not used the inverter with my latest batteries.

The Nanopresso is less convenient than just pressing a button, you have to be gentle with the pump to not generate too much pressure in the capsule and it has to be stored clean & dry or mold will develop but it works well and is truly portable. Hand luggage.

Just got a Nanopresso off my lads for my Birthday, only tried it once but seems decent

I wanted to take the trusty Bialetti with me in the MH but SWMBO was worried about the coffee grounds.... I may invest in the Nespresso adaptor (though I don't currently use the pods) or the Barista kit to complete the set

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Unless you have a very large battery bank or keep the engine running a coffee maker is an excellent way of buggering (technical term) your batteries.
I see 150 amps being pulled out when I put ours on and it’s only a small one.

Fortunately I now have a pair of sturdy lithium batteries which can take the load.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This stuff is awesome and saves drilling any holes.
I keep the various widths - depending on what I'm fixing and how permanent I want it to be.

Upvote 0

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
I LOVE my coffee and have a Nespresso machine at home but in the MH, having tried 2/3 options which included taking the machine with us once (on campsite with EHU) but NOTHING beats the Mako pot that sits on the hob........and the smell from having the fresh ground coffee in the MH is wonderful too image.jpeg

Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
We went the Moka pot route for coffee making, small, light weight and can be used on gas, electric or bbq. But on the other hand we also have a microwave.........heavy as hell!! Its just depends on what you like and how you like it ;-)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back