Oct 2, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Hi I don't know if any one else has had the Swift modification to the door,
This involves removing the door gas strut and repacing with a cheap and nasty plastc door retainer this is fitted to the skirt and the bottom of the door. the door now obstructs the window so you cannot have the door and the window open at the same time. you now need to apply a great deal of force to engage and to release the door.
I have allready heard of one owner who has had the skirt detatch.
I had the mod carried out last week and allready on the first trip out the door is not shutting properly and is catching on the area where the clip is.
I am not at all happy with this situation I have emailed Swift and got a very unsatisfactory reply I have just sent a further email to them and await a reply.
Bill Harris

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Frankly having this gas strutt removed and a plastic clip put in place in my opinion is a load of crap.The strutt serves the purpose to stop the door flying back against the bodywork.On my desk i have 4 letters from Swift telling me of a recall..surely 1 letter was suficient...then contacted dealership who ordered a new door(not needed)...On the day it went in the fitter spent 3 hours re alinging the hinges/locks/frame without removing the gas strutt and i've ended up with a door that closes/opens with one finger...the problem is causesd from movement in the bodywork not a faulty gas strutt.

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Dave,
I've just had a complete new door fitted with a new frame. The new unit appears far superior to the original E560 door. It closes better , the lock now works, the blind is better, and it still has a gas strut at the top. Who's a lucky boy then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
You done well Geoffm...from the fitters advise it takes 8-9 hrs to fit these new doors because the new frame has to be altered to fit the body that has moved then the door has to be altered to fit an uneven frame...not like when it is new and things are level/upright(supposeabily)..changeing a door unless it is delaminated will not alter by removing the gas strutt....Swift are making a big issue Re gas strutt when only re alingement of the door catches are needed...OK you have done well by having a new door:thumb:...imo if it's not broke dont fix it.....I still have a brand new door and frame in it's box that might go on fleabay:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back