Bodywork finish on a Hymer A class (1 Viewer)

hymerhobo

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
Having been quoted 800 quid to repair a small dent and a hole (courtesy of motorist who reversed into the side of my B694 two years ago in a carpark when I was away from the vehicle) I took the decision to do the work myself. Now, after a long process involving Plastic Padding, fine filler, various grades of wet and dry, etching primer, acryllic undercoat, and finally several coats of Fiat Biano 210, the result (I'm relieved to see) isn't too bad. The colour match is surprsingly good, and after a final go with 1200 grade, the finish is pretty flat. However it isn't quite as glossy / smooth as the original. So before I get the T cut out, can anyone tell me whether A-classes generally have a coat of laquer on top of the paintwork? Many thanks ...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont know the answer .but i normally use two pack acrylic .polish from a gun finish. only use wet n dry if there is a sag or run . best not to wet n dry ,sometimes can have a slight orange peel but it settles down after a while. get agraphic done if it bothers you. talk to a sign writer shop .they do nice little disguises if you tell em what you need. or put a sticker.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no expert on paintwork but i do know if something has a laquer coat and it gets damaged, in time the laquer will start to 'lift' and you will see it.

final coat and a final 1200g wet'n'dry rub over....no wonder its a bit duller.:RollEyes:

final coat, leave for a week to really harden then gently 'T cut' it.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The outer body panels are made from pre-coated aluminium sheets it not a normal paint finish as we know. All you can do is try different finishes until you get the best match.

I would have thought a levelling spray would be your best option they are like a clear coat with a slight tint designed to blend in old & new paintwork not normally available from retail outlets need to go to paint supplier that supplies body shops.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back