Bodywork damage Carthago? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Does anybody know what the cover is on the bodywork underneath the fridge vent, is it original or a panel to cover damage. And why only 1 fridge vent when its a separate freezer one?
carthago 2.jpg

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I don't know but wonder if it could be service access panel to get to the burner.

Yes a possibility that, thanks although other models of this era I have seen just have the fridge vent without the panel underneath.
Could it be bodywork damage covered up?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Normally the burner access is through the lower grille. Could it be the drop vent for a gas compartment, not sure how this is done with a double insulated floor

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Burner should be the other side of the fridge, and Bl---y stupid if they built it without decent access.

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't see why it matters , if it's to cover damage it's a very thorough way to do it.
It could be to cover a space left from something that had been fitted and now removed or it could just be an additional vent or something previous owner has fitted
You know how folk like to add things

Maybe a fridge fan or something

Either way it looks tidy enough I wouldn't let it effect my purchase

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Dealer emailed just now, its the toilet venting, very strange, why there. It was the only thing I could think of though.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Don't see why it matters , if it's to cover damage it's a very thorough way to do it.
It could be to cover a space left from something that had been fitted and now removed or it could just be an additional vent or something previous owner has fitted
You know how folk like to add things

Maybe a fridge fan or something

Either way it looks tidy enough I wouldn't let it effect my purchase

To be sure the panel would need to be unscrewed to see what is behind though.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Dealer emailed just now, its the toilet venting, very strange, why there. It was the only thing I could think of though.
Is it possible that the dealer may have mis-understood your question? I think the toilet will be further to the rear and beyond a shower cubicle. The toilet vent could be through the cassette access door but I'd expect it to be through the roof.
The cover is intriguing, but would not bother me. It is quite large but may seal a smaller hole that was put through to the cupboard under the fridge, possibly for a TV aerial connection of some sort. I'd go take a look for myself.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's a good place to fit a BBQ outlet if only because of easy access to the fridge gas supply.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sometimes that 'gas' cover conceals a water outlet for an external shower, too. Maybe something larger was installed above. If the OP goes to inspect, perhaps all will become clear and they'll let us know...

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
As the cover appears to be screwed in it is not intended for regular use. My guess would be:

1. It covers a hole previously used for an appliance adaptor box. e.g. BBQ point, external power point etc.

2. Looking at the location of it and the layout of the van it appears to be on the join between the fridge and the shower. Could be the shower tap needed to be changed and rather than dismantle the whole shower room an access hole was cut to get to the tap and connections.

On a general note the fridge is very high up with a cooker under it, will the heat from the cooker affect the fridge and more importantly with the freezer so high you (or SWMBO) is going to have to stretch for the ice for the G&T

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
535SL8.jpg
So could a thief, force the window open and hand in door open, easy...(n)

We had a Bessacarr caravan a few years ago that had a similar window on the door, security didn't appear to be an issue, after all its very similar to any other window on the vehicle. Its reasonable to keep a motorhome secured against the opportunist thief, but a determined criminal will get in anyway.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
As the cover appears to be screwed in it is not intended for regular use. My guess would be:

1. It covers a hole previously used for an appliance adaptor box. e.g. BBQ point, external power point etc.

2. Looking at the location of it and the layout of the van it appears to be on the join between the fridge and the shower. Could be the shower tap needed to be changed and rather than dismantle the whole shower room an access hole was cut to get to the tap and connections.

On a general note the fridge is very high up with a cooker under it, will the heat from the cooker affect the fridge and more importantly with the freezer so high you (or SWMBO) is going to have to stretch for the ice for the G&T

Yes I agree its a hole cut into the bodywork for some reason, would have to unscrew the cover to find out what's happened.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't think this model will have a 'flat floor'. There may be a step (or two) from the living area up to the 'galley'. If an oven is present, I'd expect it to be on the other side of the van.

(in response to #26)

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Hi
See your earlier post as the dealer seems to have explained it is a vent why dont you ask him to remove and take photo
best of luck euro getting weaker!

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back