Body Shops in Lothian and Borders (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hi fellow funsters its now been several weeks since I bought my Hymer s650 and many on here gave me some sterling advice before the purchase. All of you were right on the button about what it would be like to drive and what to look out for in the body. For the funster who said it would be noisy you were correct and yes it is but for me that's just part of the character. Another said it would be slow - again yes it is but I can cruise along the motorway at 60 without any problem which is more that acceptable for me. Even going up the fairly steep hill on the A68 on the way from Edinburgh to Kelso presented no problem to it. As for the body someone said to look out for spongy plywood at the back underneath the lockers and unfortunately that is present as is some rust underneath the passenger side door step (this would be the drivers side of it was a left hand drive but it is imported and made into a rhd.) Neither of these issues looks serious but I don't want to leave them to get any worse.
This brings me to the main question. I could probably attempt to fix both these problems myself but the Hymer is our investment in adventure for when we retire in a couple of years and I want a proper job done rather than the probably hash up I would make of it. So does anyone have a recommendation for a body shop in the lothians (or further afield as I would be will to travel) who could tackle the damp repair and the welding for the rust?
I have already tried Lowland Motorhome and Caravan Services at Newtongrange but they won't look at anything over 20 years old. I've also contacted K & I Ltd at Eskbank and three times they said someone would call back but they never did. I will try again with them but it would be good to have another recommendation in case they don't pan out.
Cheers Martin

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I think Puddleduck may use them ?
I've just called K&I and they apologised for not getting back to me. The person who knows about Hymers isn't at work today but he's been emailed and will get to me at some point.
The receptionist said that they have expertise in Hymers so am feeling hopeful that they can help me.
Always good to have some alternative's though.:giggle:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Jock Borthwick body shop Newtown st Boswells trading estate 01835 822122 , mainly commercial vehicles but do motorhomes. Also servicing and major repair work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could try Mill Garage Duns
Not used them myself other than for hire a couple of times
Thanks Garfield. I'll give them a call if K&I can't help. Duns is only an hours drive away so wouldn't be a problem.
I think Puddleduck may use them ?

I use Mill Garages and have noting but praise for them. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I use Mill Garages and have noting but praise for them. Highly recommended.
Thanks Puddleduck. Was down your way last weekend staying at a CL - Crookhouse farm. £12 for a lovely location. Trees on the farm were laden with apples just ready for eating.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks Puddleduck. Was down your way last weekend staying at a CL - Crookhouse farm. £12 for a lovely location. Trees on the farm were laden with apples just ready for eating.

About 16 miles from us :) You could have stayed here for free (under 7m or 7.5m long only- depending on how good you are at going round tight bends) - and you could also have picked apples and had fresh eggs.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Jock Borthwick body shop Newtown st Boswells trading estate 01835 822122 , mainly commercial vehicles but do motorhomes. Also servicing and major repair work.
Forgot about him
Have used for servicing before
Also https://caravan-fix.com/ near Galashiels

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
About 16 miles from us :) You could have stayed here for free (under 7m or 7.5m long only- depending on how good you are at going round tight bends) - and you could also have picked apples and had fresh eggs.
My wife and I would love to take you up on that. We're around 7 metres long.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
In my previous reply I forgot Munros in galashiels next to aldi, although auto electricians they do mechanical repairs etc, but not body work!

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
There's a YouTube channel that may interest you called Herman the Hymer. The couple mainly do travel logs but he also shows some "how to" vids such as repairs / upgrades. Might be something there for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
There's a YouTube channel that may interest you called Herman the Hymer. The couple mainly do travel logs but he also shows some "how to" vids such as repairs / upgrades. Might be something there for you.
Hi Dram - have had a look at his youtube channel and he does one where he repairs the rear floor just the same place where mine is rotting. However he has a very competent looking person helping him with lots of tools and a garage. I don't have the confidence to do such a big job on my own.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back