Boat A Home (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
just wrong .......was my first thought, then just maybe ? no, it`s wrong.

And strictly for a calm lake use I would have thought, wouldn`t want to be in that in a swell !

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thought's ?

A chap on the Lancaster Canal has one. Driven by an outboard, it all folds in half to become a trailer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

xyz

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Funster No
Exp
Awhile
In Germany they do things differently. You can hire a pontoon contraption with, typically, a 15hp outboard that you then park your tin-tent/motorroam on and go cruising
MB sunset-1-2.jpg
MB sunset-1.jpg

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Id quite like one.. I wouldn't want anyone to know I had one though.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Id quite like one.. I wouldn't want anyone to know I had one though.

I've met women like that, too

Tempting to say that it would be uncomfortable and even unstable outside of calm waters

However, there are a lot of the broads cruisers around, and they're pretty usable (and very comfortable)

Finetime1.jpg

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've met women like that, too

Tempting to say that it would be uncomfortable and even unstable outside of calm waters

However, there are a lot of the broads cruisers around, and they're pretty usable (and very comfortable)

Finetime1.jpg
But if you can find one to tow behind the van you've a third lot of cutlery crockery etc etc to buy and maintain..

xyz

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Funster No
Exp
Awhile
If you own a boat cutlery & crockery maintenance is the least of your worries ....

Me and 'er in Berlin

Attachments

• P1060874.jpg
    P1060874.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 48

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A bit expensive at around £70,000 for the smallest one but then again I suppose a boat isn't necessarily that cheap!

I quite like it, although it's more a houseboat than a boat.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Not a new concept I remember 55ish years ago my step-farther had something similar called a flat -a-float on the Norfolk Broads. They never took it out tho just used it as a houseboat

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I like the idea but it looks odd in or out of the water and you are restricted quite a bit with water!
I also like a boat to look like a boat-with a pointed bow (front that is) !!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its not a standard boat and isn't meant to be, it's a catamaran - you can tell this by the way it fits onto the trailer - so should be quite stable in use when stationary or on calm waters which is what these types of watercraft are meant for. The design allows for a more 'square' structure and isn't therefore restricted by the curves of a standard boat and means it can also sit 'on' the water rather than partially 'in' it. If I was in the market for a 'craft' to use mainly on calm waters which gave me good living space I'd certainly have one. It's a cross between a leisure boat, canal boat and houseboat but with the advantage of being able to take it out of the water easily (subject to having a vehicle capable of pulling it!). Although it can be used as accommodation out of the water I anticipate it would spend the most time on it but at least you can still use it when it's not so if you got to somewhere and didn't want to 'launch' it that day you'd still have some where to eat, sleep etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not a new concept I remember 55ish years ago my step-farther had something similar called a flat -a-float on the Norfolk Broads. They never took it out tho just used it as a houseboat
Here's the "Flat-a-float" ... make sure you have your volume on as the commentary is great ... especially the reference to how easy it is to steer!!!!

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/home-a-float

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can it be A framed:xeek:
Silly boy it has a trailer ... otherwise you'd scrape the bottom!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I hear that Autotrail are building a version !!!!
I did actually wonder if someone like Romahome might go into business building these ... seriously!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Something went wrong there

Been "boaties" for more years than I care to remember. Seems like these vehicles are neither one thing nor another

Up for sale now

Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Something went wrong there

Been "boaties" for more years than I care to remember. Seems like these vehicles are neither one thing nor another

Up for sale now

Link Removed
Ah ... what some term a 'Noddy boat' I believe! :xgrin:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Here's a houseboat if you want one similar to the 'Flat-a-boat' ... just needs the engine I think.

Link Removed

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As an RYA Instructor and having owned and sailed many types of boats from 12' to 45' around Europe for more than 40 years I can think of few places where one could or would be welcomed to launch such a hybrid, never mind finding a slipway/marina in Europe with access and a parking space for the tow vehicle and such an enormous trailer. Launching and recovery would be restricted to calm days into water which ideally has no tide or current.
It is clearly targeted for canals (if it isn't too wide for U.K. locks) and the U.S. market and the great lakes of Canada. Perhaps the Rhine or Rhone would be accessible but I doubt that it would make much if any progress against the current in those rivers, therefore the trip would have to be downstream and someone would have to take the vehicle and trailer to where one expected to end the trip. Boats have appropriate engines and one pointed end for good reason:rolleyes:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
That "noddy boat" has seen us to Gibralter and beyond a
Yeah, we used to nod quite a bit at people as we made our way out of the estuary on our trips over to Gibraltar and beyond. We even wave to some of the lucky ones :xrofl:

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
There used to be a vessel known as a "Caraboat" which was essentially a caravan that would float. The most recent one I saw was on the river Thames at Oxford, that was a few years ago as we are no longer boating. Not sure when they went out of production or if they were a commercial success but an interesting vessel / caravan / trailer - call it what you will.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back