Boardband, Yes I've spelt it right! (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi MHer’s

I am coming to the end of my broadband contract with Virgin and I was wondering if you good people can help me decide. I’m thinking of going to BT so I can use their Fon system which I understand it can be used in the UK as well as some parts of Europe with an amplifier.

I tried to search for a Fon box to link to my router but can’t seem to find any and BT don’t supply them anymore, unless you go with them for broadband.

So I would like to know from you chaps if you have heard any reports or used this system when you are away and if so how you rated it, or if you think it’s worth going with them to get this possible extra way of connecting without paying.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have used FON when away - good in populated areas as one would expect. Where there are plenty of free wifi spots available anyway!!

You need to be quite close to the BT wifi router to pick up a signal so it can look a bit suspicious if you are standing or sitting outside a property with a FON router for a while. I have had someone ask me what I was up to. :)

You can't rely on picking up a FON signal. I have a plug in dongle thing for the laptop that works far more often than BT's FON is remote areas.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You need to be quite close to the BT wifi router to pick up a signal
Hi Puddleduck
I think you can get better signal if you are at a distance from houses with one of these, or so they say
IMG_9017-2-288x455.jpg

Have you had the option of using it abroad or not.
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, they work. We haven't been abroad as I have elderly parents who panic if I need to get a plane to get to them. They were bad enough when we were in Norfolk!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you have found out Fon no longer sell their stand alone router so you have to go to BT. We find Fon very good in France and have some success in Spain & Portugal. Some members appear to have problems with logging onto Fon with a BT account, we never have any problems but we are not BT customers and have the separate Fon router.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
but we are not BT customers and have the separate Fon router.

Hi Lenny
Someone said a while ago I might be able to get a Fon route from Spain, I was put
Off as I didn’t know if I could register it with Fon or BT or whoever you are meant to register it with.

If I could get a second hand one do you think I would be able to use it.
By the way it’s nice to hear that you use the Fon system fairly regularly and in Europe.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Here is one site I've found,
Link Removed

Here is one I found on Ebay what do you think?
Link Removed

Best Wishes Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't know if you could register it, I think when I bought mine a code was supplied with it you used together with the serial number to register and setup an account on their website.
The American routers look different to the European ones maybe they are the older version, if they have been made for the American market I think it would be unlikely you could register them in Europe.

Your best bet would be to find a S/H European one and buy only by if the seller will pass on their Fon account details to you, they could change the password first if needed.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We bought a Fon router a while ago then had BT broadband, so, we have the choice of both networks.
At the moment, we are using an iboost system to pick up a Fon signal from a couple of km away. It's a brilliant system, but doesn't work everyywhere.
You don't walk around with a Fon router trying to pick up a signal, you pick up Fon or BT wifi on your device as a wifi network.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We've had a new BT router, the high powered one advertised by some plonker hanging from a helicopter, and I notice that FON no longer seems to be on it though it was on the old one.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I notice that FON no longer seems to be on it though it was on the old one.
Hi Reallyretired That does not sound too good, so it sound even if I join BT I won't be able to use the Fon network. :sick:
Best Wishes Tony

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just had a look at the BT site no mention of Fon with any of their current products.
All BT routers still have a second open access wifi, that the public can use. That actually annoys me, because you don't actually realise you are hosting a public network until you delve into the settings!
Anyway, I believe they are still offering the service, perhaps under a different name?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
PC Pro Customer Satisfaction scores:

We won’t provide the full scoring as you should really buy the magazine for that, but here’s a rough summary of the overall satisfaction scores.

PC Pro’s 2016 Best Broadband ISP Survey

1. Zen Internet (95%)
2. Broken Link Removed (79%)
3. Broken Link Removed (76%)
4. Broken Link Removed (60%)
5. Broken Link Removed (59%)
6. Broken Link Removed (57%)
7. Broken Link Removed (55%)

Strangely I'm with Zen. Zero complaints about them from me over the last 5 years. I find it hard to understand why anyone would choose any of the 'big' providers.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All BT routers still have a second open access wifi, that the public can use. That actually annoys me, because you don't actually realise you are hosting a public network until you delve into the settings!
Anyway, I believe they are still offering the service, perhaps under a different name?
I got the impression that is for a BT Hotspot and they only allow you to access BT hotspots not Fon

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I can't comment directly on the question asked but would warn that BT have the worst Customer Support of any company we have dealt with. (Our problems outlined in threads elsewhere on the Forum).

We used BT hotspots in U.K. But we're happy to lose them in order to get better customer service.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I can't comment directly on the question asked but would warn that BT have the worst Customer Support of any company we have dealt with. (Our problems outlined in threads elsewhere on the Forum).

We used BT hotspots in U.K. But we're happy to lose them in order to get better customer service.
Totally agree that is why I stick with Plusnet, they may be BT owned but operate independently and their customer service is excellent.
I've had a few run-ins with BT they swear blind the fault is your end it's your equipment and they will charge £150 to come out if it's your and all the time the fault is at their exchange.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
You may regret moving from Virgin based on speed, I had to call out virgin twice once for a box fault and once for weeds in the connection box outside no charge !!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use SFR Fon when in France using our BT broadband details. It's not always easy to pick up but if you are anywhere near houses you can usually pick it up with a wifi booster.

Denise

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was not happy about the amount BT was charging me, so I phoned them, got a cheaper rate and my speed boosted from around 20Mb/s to 50Mb/s + the new router. They're not all bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back