BMW file new design for wireless charging of bikes (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
A new patent application filed by BMW has revealed that the German automotive giant is exploring mobile phone-style wireless charging for electric motorcycles using the bike’s stand.

While wireless ‘inductive’ charging through a pad is usually slower than charging through a socket, it is a convenient option and one that could potentially be built into garages, parking spaces and even street parking areas.

However, previous efforts to develop inductive charging have generally focused on electric cars and they have been complicated by the body of the car being too far off the ground for the current to reach. Rubber tyres rule out charging through the wheels.

However, the humble motorcycle stand can help solve this problem for electric motorcycles because it is naturally in contact with the ground. By building a receiver into the stand, wireless charging could occur whenever the bike is parked over a charging pad.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My understanding is that wireless charging consumes far more power than cable-connected charging. If we're going electric for the sake of the environment, wasteful, inefficient charging is a counterproductive step IMHO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A new patent application filed by BMW has revealed that the German automotive giant is exploring mobile phone-style wireless charging for electric motorcycles

They can can patent it but I recon it will never be satisfactory. Far too much power needed for charging and too inefficient. You would thinking in terms of a powerful induction hob in the ground and that would be a slow charger.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't know about efficiency but mobile phone contactless charging is as quick as hard wired in my (very limited) experience.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Quite a lot apparently:

Just had a look at the Harley LiveWire, nice bike with a different sound :giggle:. We could get away without waking everybody up when onsite somewhere! Not in a hurry though as priced at £29k, times two so £58k! Won't be doing that soon :LOL:

Mick

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just had a look at the Harley LiveWire, nice bike with a different sound :giggle:. We could get away without waking everybody up when onsite somewhere! Not in a hurry though as priced at £29k, times two so £58k! Won't be doing that soon :LOL:

Mick

Hmm so for those who have a spare £30k and fancy a bike, an electric Harley or one of these:

1578662744283.png

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Perhaps they are obtaining the patent to stop the competition doing it?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
My mate has been doing some testing in the US, on Electric bikes. Range is a big issue.. by the time he gets to somewhere decent to ride , he has to turn round and go home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back