Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
having recently had an attack of "bad-back-itis" i decided to buy a new a-frame, which mounts directly on the rv, and so never has to be carried. lindy-c kindly shipped one for me from the US, as none of the dealers i found on the internet would ship overseas. i collected it on wednesday, and discovered that i could easily swap the ends which attach to the car with those on my chris cox frame, as the bolts are the same diameter - different lengths but easily packed out with washers. i used it for the first time yesterday, and was delighted with the result. first, no frame to carry. second, because the arms are telescopic, it is easy to position the car for attachment. you then drive forward and the arms automatically lock at full length. of course, this frame does not have brakes, but i have been using a brake buddy for several years, so no problem. the only downside is the cost, but still a lot cheaper than trying to get my back fixed.

special thanks to linda, who trusted me enought to order an expensive non-returnable item without a deposit. and james, for his advice on fitting.

des

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Congratulations on the Blue Ox. That's the way many of us Yanks do it. Lifting a fixed A-frame is for the birds. There are two major/competing brands of tow bars, both very good: Blue Ox and Roadmaster.

I happen to have a Roadmaster, but I think you'll be equally pleased with your Blue Ox. You did buy one that's rated for at least the weight of your car, right? I assume you were able to get a base plate to fit your car?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Bought my RV at auction and went in Jag XJ6 there.

Had this style of frame on in under a minute to tow the XJ6 home and no brake assistance whatsoever and the bus handled it easy with no brake issues at all.

I really rate them:thumb:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
... tow the XJ6 home and no brake assistance whatsoever and the bus handled it easy with no brake issues at all.

John, it's not a matter of how the coach "handles"; it's an issue of the ability to stop safely. Having no auxiliary brake on the toad is endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and buy/install an auxiliary/toad braking system.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
John, it's not a matter of how the coach "handles"; it's an issue of the ability to stop safely. Having no auxiliary brake on the toad is endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and buy/install an auxiliary/toad braking system.

This was in the States:winky:

In the UK I use a Chris Cox BRAKED frame:winky:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
It's just as unsafe to not have an auxiliary brake in the US as it would be in the UK :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
It's just as unsafe to not have an auxiliary brake in the US as it would be in the UK :winky:

I was with a dealer and had no option:winky:

Saw plenty of others in the US not using braking system:winky:and felt coming down the mountain from the auction the RV handle well and brake fine

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;

Same guy is now on a extended road trip with his V12 E type with no braking system:winky:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Des
I've got the BlueOx fitted to my RV here in USA and been using for the last 12 weeks we tow a Saturn SUV and also had a brake system fitted. We've towed about 3500 miles so far and its worked superbly. Also on the couple of occasions we've had to emergency stop it really did work and when we had to negotiate some steep hills in Tennessee the brake system and the grade brake together helped save our coach brakes. My braking system is Stay in Play Duo Vacuum Assisted Braking System which is just a small box mounted in the footwell with a 2 way switch. All I do is flick the swith to the On position and connect 1 wire by the grill, no heavy boxes to jam in front of the seat, the whole process of hooking up takes a couple of minutes tops.
One tip; sometimes the bars can be difficult to unhook as the brake levers won't release, start the car and turn the steering full lock each way this works most times.
A guy showed me this in Georgia, I was starting to get stressed as I could'nt unhook the car and had even hit the levers with a hammer, not a good idea.
Good Luck :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Steve
No more tornados but got stuck in New Orleans for an extra 2 days beacause of bad weather it was too dangerous to move. Left yesterday and drove for 9 hours 4 in some of the worst weather I've ever seen.
Now I'm parked on the beach 4ft from the sea in glorious sunshine sipping a beer watching dolphins play in the surf ITS A HARD LIFE TRAVELLING MATE :ROFLMAO:
You'd love the campground its called HO HUM very small takes about 25 Rvs all parked on the beach its idyllic.
Post a pic soon :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve
No more tornados but got stuck in New Orleans for an extra 2 days beacause of bad weather it was too dangerous to move. Left yesterday and drove for 9 hours 4 in some of the worst weather I've ever seen.
Now I'm parked on the beach 4ft from the sea in glorious sunshine sipping a beer watching dolphins play in the surf ITS A HARD LIFE TRAVELLING MATE :ROFLMAO:
You'd love the campground its called HO HUM very small takes about 25 Rvs all parked on the beach its idyllic.
Post a pic soon :thumb:
Link Removed
Sounds it Ror.

Boy do I envy you Guys right Now.Take a pic in a minute would you?

Just make sure the RV's back in Florida in 4 weeks Time.:ROFLMAO:

Only Kidding.I think we've got a very busy time planned over there.

Can't wait, and the kids are getting very excited now.

I would say "Have a great time there you two" but I have an inkling you might just be doing that.

Great to hear from you.Link Removed

Steve.

Last edited:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I was with a dealer and had no option

You're rationalizing the situation. Hope you had good liability insurance.

Saw plenty of others in the US not using braking system

How would you know? I use an air brake system, so it's easy to see the air line running from the coach to the toad. In many other cases, such as the Brake Buddy or Blue Ox Apollo toad brake, you'd have to look in the window of the toad to see it. Some of the auxiliary brakes systems would be almost impossible to spot even if you looked in the window.

... felt coming down the mountain from the auction the RV handle well and brake fine

Not only dangerous, but left yourself wide open to legal repercussions and a liability law suit. In the event of an accident, your insurance company might even refuse to pay out. (You did have insurance, right?) Much better to have separate drivers for the coach and the toad.

Winking doesn't minimize the risk you exposed yourself and everyone else on the road to. Let me know next time you plan to do that so I can stay well away. I'll also let others know where you'll be so they can be forewarned.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
.... takes about 25 Rvs all parked on the beach its idyllic.

We have some like that here in California. One, at Pismo Beach, accomodates far more RVs (trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes). At the end of a stay, many have to be towed out of the sand.

A friend who has done this many times uses his Jeep to pull the motorhome out. He has a long tow strap that's hooked to the back of the Jeep and the front of the motorhome. He starts with all that strap piled up on the sand between the two, then floors the accelerator. When the Jeep comes to the end of the strap, it comes to an abrupt stop, while the motorhome is jerked forward an inch or two. He repeats this process until eventually the motorhome comes out of the hole.

When he gets home he has to figure out how to get the sand out of everything, including his brakes.

Don't try this with your tow car :winky:

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
thanks for all this advice. tony, i have taken a pic of it stowed, and i will take pics of my blue ox/chris cox connection. can't post til i get home, as i have not brought a card reader with me.

des

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Des
Tony says the easiest for him is to download them to "my documents" on your puter then when you 've written your post scroll down to attach files where you will see a manage attachement button, hit this button and select the pictures you want to post
does this help?

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
thanks ruth. trying it out. des

Attachments

• Photo-0009.jpg
    Photo-0009.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo-0010.jpg
    Photo-0010.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo-0011.jpg
    Photo-0011.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi all

have now used the blue ox on a four week trip, mostly in france. absolutely delighted with it. the instructions say to have someone watch to check the locks have snapped up into place. however, with the rear mic turned up, can hear a satisfying clunk as each one locks at it's full extent. highly recommended, and for me (and my back) worth the money. also freed off the locker i used to store the a-frame when pitched. amazingly, found something to fill it with - surprise, surprise, wine! have now imported most of the european wine lake.

although i found several websites in the US with good prices, none would ship to the UK. many thanks to lindy-c who went to a lot of trouble to get me one quickly.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
No trouble at all Des, my pleasure :Smile:

Glad its all working for you :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries