LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Found a blue box in my hymer, to the right of the drivers side footwell, says; Schaudt OVP 01, whassat then???
Hi Wizzer59. :)

OVP = Over Voltage Protection, and as Mandymops sussed out, it's the Shaudt (optional) surge protector for your Elektroblok. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Also I noticed in the little cuboard that houses the elektroblock, I have a separate fuse that says: 8A FUSED FEED FROM SOLAR PANEL REGULATER. does this mean I already have a reg somewhere and if I have where is it?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Tim,

It was a power surge protector that Leo was particularly proud of! Can't remember there being a solar panel on it when we looked at it though.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Geraldine
Thanks for that, well it has had one at some time as there are brackets on the roof and the Arran owner didn't put them on so a little more detective work needed to see if there is a reg I guess, thing is I've ordered a flexy panel so I don't need them:doh:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliff says why don't you send the flexi one back and replace it for a solid one - chances are if the brackets are there you will also have the existing wiring etc already routed down through the roof and into the van. Most companies have returns policies where you can change items if you think you have ordered the wrong thing.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just in case you have any trouble with your elrctoblock, the best people to use are in Abergele so we have been told.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
No I wanted a flexy one, whoever fitted the brackets have screwed them down as well:doh: so I'm going to take them off make sure the holes are well sealed and glue the new one over the top of the holes (but not until I know it all works ok(y)) so everything should be hunky dory:coolest:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
And why do hymers need this? I've not noticed it on any other motorhome:whistle:
Tim,

Hymers don't particulary need it, however, any MH fitted with an EBL (Elektroblok) can have one fitted as an option. I feel that if Schaudt felt it necesssarry, then they should fit it as standard.

BTW, whoever fitted the original solar panel to our MH, didn't go through the specific solar input of the EBL...............unfortunately, as it would have charged the starter battery as well as the leisure batteries, however, I have managed to overcome that installer's omission. (y)

Here's a link worth bookmarking, for owners of EBL charging and distribution systems.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-charging-faults.php

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Tim,

Hymers don't particulary need it, however, any MH fitted with an EBL (Elektroblok) can have one fitted as an option. I feel that if Schaudt felt it necesssarry, then they should fit it as standard.

BTW, whoever fitted the original solar panel to our MH, didn't go through the specific solar input of the EBL...............unfortunately, as it would have charged the starter battery as well as the leisure batteries, however, I have managed to overcome that installer's omission. (y)

Here's a link worth bookmarking, for owners of EBL charging and distribution systems.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-charging-faults.php

Cheers,

Jock.

Bookmarking done thanks (y) would you mind if picked your brains when it comes to wiring my new solar panel in Jock?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Sorry Tim, I'm not the right person to advise, as I didn't fit either of mine.
All I did was fit a Battery Manager, (easy peasy) which transfers any excess charge from the panels, (which the leisure batteries don't need), through to the starter battery.
Like this one................... http://leisurelines.net/battery-charge-manager-leisure--main-battery-3334-p.asp

Andy (Techno100) will be able to advise, and he's a qualified leccy techie too.................but on holiday at the moment. (y)

Sorry I can't help you re wiring in your panels. :(

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bookmarking done thanks (y) would you mind if picked your brains when it comes to wiring my new solar panel in Jock?
If you have a Schaudt Electrobloc they make it easy. Just buy the Schaudt LR 1218 Solar regulator. It comes complete with wiring adaptors to plug into the correct ports on most Electroblocs. And it also comes with clear instructions to do this, and also to deal with the few Electroblocs that it is not fully compatible with. That is what I did. I got mine from Brownhills on Ebay.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry Tim, I'm not the right person to advise, as I didn't fit either of mine.
All I did was fit a Battery Manager, (easy peasy) which transfers any excess charge from the panels, (which the leisure batteries don't need), through to the starter battery.
Like this one................... http://leisurelines.net/battery-charge-manager-leisure--main-battery-3334-p.asp

Andy (Techno100) will be able to advise, and he's a qualified leccy techie too.................but on holiday at the moment. (y)

Sorry I can't help you re wiring in your panels. :(

Cheers for now,

Jock.

No worries Jock thanks for all the info anyway:)(y)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
If you have a Schaudt Electrobloc they make it easy. Just buy the Schaudt LR 1218 Solar regulator. It comes complete with wiring adaptors to plug into the correct ports on most Electroblocs. And it also comes with clear instructions to do this, and also to deal with the few Electroblocs that it is not fully compatible with. That is what I did. I got mine from Brownhills on Ebay.

Yes I have the EBL 99 but do you know if I can use another reg? as I have a good MPPT one from my last van:unsure:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yes I have the EBL 99 but do you know if I can use another reg? as I have a good MPPT one from my last van:unsure:
Tim,
I would say yes, so long as you don't go through the EBL99, but go along the route Andy and I have, with the CBS2 in my link above.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Problems can be caused if you don't go through the Electrobloc I have been told. Both the Electrobloc and the solar controller decide on the state of the battery and the amount of charging it needs by checking it's voltage. The trouble is that if both are attached they will not know what is the voltage of the battery and what is the voltage coming from the other. So when you are driving allong with the alternator putting a small charge (amp wise) into the battery the solar regulator will think the batteries are full and not add any charge themselves.

On my Electrobloc, which is not the same as yours, you can wire other solar controllers into it via the solar input terminals. You will probably need the correct terminal block plug from Schaudt. I don't have my manual to hand but you can always check yours. Alternatively try emailing Udo Lang at Schaudt. He is their technical guru and in my experience he is very helpful and will willingly answer questions via email. His English is also good. His email is Udo.Lang(at)schaudt-gmbh.de. You will need to replace the (at) with @.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back