LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Is it correct the uk blue badge holders can ask to be charged as class 1 instead of a higher class (in our case 3) on french tolls? if so can anybody give me the correct translation to say something like,

" I am a UK blue bage holder, I request to be charged as class 1 please,
thank you"

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some sections will accept the blue badge,some wont. Depends on the person in the toll booth,and how much hassle you can take from the motorists queuing up behind whilst you argue the fact.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
never managed to get them to reduce tolls

It is only one step down..not two.. and it is aimed at car's rather than motorhomes.. I have tried many times but not found any that would reduce it.

So I do not hold out any hope.. these days I use the route nationals.. just as fast and a lot cheaper.

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no you cannot sue under the DDA

The Act is designed to make Disabled people equal not the other way round. Able body people do not get the discount so really why should we the disabled get it? it is a concession given not a right. So it is a bonus to those that get it.. but it is aimed at MPV's being reduced to car rate or those with a roof box of high vehicle.

Our RV trips the height so we always get given a ticket at lorry hight (have to climb up on the seat to reach)..we always try to pay at a window and it does not work.. using French and showing the disabled badge will not budge them..

Bob:Blush:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If your RV-Motorhome is registered on the logbook as disabled or as the French say handicape"spelling",this means that it is adapted for disabled use and therefore is given the concession of class one.As I said earlier it depends on how much you are prepared to stand your ground.I know one person who has never paid more than class one on a French motorway ever, and thats with a 33ft RV and toad.:winky:

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
OK, I might open a can of worms here, but why should blue badge holders get cheaper toll fee's. I'm sure someone once told me that the M6 toll is free to blue badge holders. I just don't get why.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
My understanding is that only MH specially adapted to disability use pays Class 1 toll . Not if you happen to be owner of Mh with blue badge.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You need to look at the rules

My understanding is that only MH specially adapted to disability use pays Class 1 toll . Not if you happen to be owner of Mh with blue badge.

Each motorway in France has slightly different rules, but normally it only allows a reduction from class II to class I if you have a blue badge it has never on any of the motorways allowed class III to go to class I

It was to cover vehicles that are high top like a van converted to take a power chair and therefor higher than the bog standard car size in height. Or allowed for a roof box with an automated wheelchair lift to take the folded wheelchair up and into the box on the roof.

But again never for a class III motorhome or bigger if you have a trailer attached.

As for why there is a discounted rate at all? that has a very very long reason and I doubt I could cover it all in a post. But it is common to the UK as well as France.. but different places use different rules.. Dartford River crossing requires the vehicle (can be an RV or motorhome) to be exempted from RFL... where as the Welsh crossing is produce the blue badge.. different companies and organisations have different requirements.. not a lot different from France.

The motorway M62 as mentioned has it's own rules as well.

But I will swap my wheelchair anyday for a couple of good working legs... so I am more than happy to accept any help i can get.. I do not have the choice of mode of transport and these concessions help no end.

Bob:Blush:

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
i fully understand being disabled both my brother and my mother are disabled and unable to walk. but they, like me, can't explain why a disbled person gets free access on the m6 toll road.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
i fully understand being disabled both my brother and my mother are disabled and unable to walk. but they, like me, can't explain why a disbled person gets free access on the m6 toll road.
Maybe its to make someone with a difficult life a little easier.
There are many forms of disability,some more obvious than others.
Imagine one of your parents having to use a nebulizer or as some disabled people are in constant pain and you were taking them from Manchester to Northampton in your car...would you like to have them sit in the car for an extra 2 hours during rush hour traffic in Birmingham???.
This subject is very close to my heart and has been done to death some time ago,and just goes to prove that everything goes full circle on forums without people bothering to search.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back