May 10, 2019
Cumbria, UK.
Funster No
MH
Movano
Exp
Since 2017
Hi All.

I have a Propex 1600 gas heater installed in the van. It blows out at floor level into the middle of the van, and does heat us up fairly quickly, but the van is a big open space so I'm looking to better this.

I think I want an additional vent coming out over the bed. I also want to be able to close this vent and not lose any oomph from the floor one.

The current piping from heater to vent is the silver flexi tubing that comes with the heater, about 70mm diameter. I'm thinking of replacing this with some kind of pvc piping to redirect air to the additional vent, as if I can find the right diameter then there should be t-junctions and elbows available.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and could advise if the heater is powerful enough to blow warm air a longer distance, and maybe what piping to use. I imagine that to not lose heat through the pipe it would need to be foil lined- but that sound expensive and I'm on a tight budget.

Ta!

OP
OP
D

DSCB

Free Member
May 10, 2019
Cumbria, UK.
Funster No
MH
Movano
Exp
Since 2017
Can't help but PVC pipe will go soft and deform with the heat. You need to use piping designed for the job.
Thanks.
It looks like the silver flexi tubing can be bought fairly cheap off ebay, so I think if I can find a t-connector and an effective way to insulate the pipes then I'm on the right path.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A Y junction would be far more effective as the air flow would be split with little turbulence whereas a T would cause extreme turbulence and really slow the air flow.
If a plastic junction was a reasonable distance from the heat source it shouldn't be affected by the heat....after all, the outlet grills are plastic.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Possibly this part?
That would be better than a T but would need adjustable outlet grills to balance the outlet flow.
More air will pass straight through than into the angled branch so the straights outlet would need restricting slightly.
A true Y will be equal in both branches

OP
OP
D

DSCB

Free Member
May 10, 2019
Cumbria, UK.
Funster No
MH
Movano
Exp
Since 2017
That would be better than a T but would need adjustable outlet grills to balance the outlet flow.
More air will pass straight through than into the angled branch so the straights outlet would need restricting slightly.
A true Y will be equal in both branches
Think I need to sketch this one out. Will perhaps upload a photo of current setup once I've had a good look. May not be possible to get a safe and effective split because of the lack of space I have in front of the heater. Good call on the restriction, and adjustable outlet grills are the plan as I would like to be able to fine tune.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I recently bought some piping from Magnum, and fittings and “jubilee clips” off eBay.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I split mine with a y junction and have two outlets but they are quite close together. You need to buy the correct tube and also insulate it otherwise you will be heating the space under the unit or wherever it runs.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I split mine with a y junction and have two outlets but they are quite close together. You need to buy the correct tube and also insulate it otherwise you will be heating the space under the unit or wherever it runs.
Mine is the Propex 2000, not seen a 1600 one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back