Blown a fuse (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Managed to short circuit the positive lead that connects to the P1 fitting on my EC400 PSU. According to the wiring diagram this lead passes through a 40 Amp fuse to the engine battery but I have checked the 40 Amp fuses in the fuses and relay box under the bonnet and all appear unbroken.

This is on a 2.3 2012 Fiat Ducato, does anyone know if there are any more 40 Amp fuses elsewhere?
Regards
Vin

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Is it one of the fuses on the vehicle battery terminal fuse panel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Should be a fuse next to leisure batteries mine are in battery box.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Should be a fuse next to leisure batteries mine are in battery box.
will check around that area, this an Autocruise Rhythm panel van and the leisure bat sits in its own box behind the drivers seat.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Still looking, not the 40a fuse adjacent to the leisure bat and not the 4 under the bonnet. Surely its got to be somewhere close to the vehicle bat? If all else fails I will consider running a separate 40a fused lead to the EC400. Routing it will be fun!

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Ok, have checked as far as I can but have not found iether 40 amp fuses that the diagram below clearly shows sit between the PSU's P1 and P2 connections and the leisure and engine batteries.
The engine battery sits in a floor cavity between and in front of the cab seats and the leisure bat sits in a box directly behind the driver's seat - 3 feet apart so the damn fuses must be close by????
IMG_0293sml.jpg
There is an inspection panel that runs under the passenger seat but before I start to dismantle the van maybe someone may know what lies there?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
X250 vehicle battery is under the passenger floor.
Lift the carpet remove the floor panel and unscrew the metal plate. Fuses on the positive post connections.
If the vehicle starts normally its unlikely to be the starter battery fuse.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont forget that at 40amp you may not be looking for a blade fuse and maybe a midi fuse bolted to the positive junction block on positive terminal. if so may look like fiat original wiring

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
X250 vehicle battery is under the passenger floor.
Lift the carpet remove the floor panel and unscrew the metal plate. Fuses on the positive post connections.
If the vehicle starts normally its unlikely to be the starter battery fuse.
Thanks but I have already done this several times now and the fuses on the pos terminal post are okay and none are 40 amp anyway.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
dont forget that at 40amp you may not be looking for a blade fuse and maybe a midi fuse bolted to the positive junction block on positive terminal. if so may look like fiat original wiring
Thanks already checked those.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
There is an inspection panel that runs under the passenger seat
Its access to the top of the fuel tank fuel pump and sender unit

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
There is an inspection panel that runs under the passenger seat
Its access to the top of the fuel tank fuel pump and sender unit
cheers Bernie, saved me looking.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Managed to short circuit the positive lead that connects to the P1 fitting on my EC400 PSU. According to the wiring diagram this lead passes through a 40 Amp fuse to the engine battery but I have checked the 40 Amp fuses in the fuses and relay box under the bonnet and all appear unbroken.

You donot say what the symptons now are.

The following is from the EC400 user guide:

A) Type / Selection For optimum performance and safety it is essential that only a proprietary brand LEISURE battery is used with a typical capacity of 75 to 120 Ah (Ampere / hours). A normal car battery is NOT suitable. This battery should always be connected when the system is in use. The PSU is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. Before fitting non-standard batteries please check that the charging profile described in 3.2 is suitable for the type of battery by referring to the battery documentation or battery manufacturer. Some vehicle installations can cater for two leisure batteries connected in parallel. In these cases it is recommended that two identical batteries are used. The battery feed is fitted with an inline fuse between the battery and the electrical harness, and is usually located immediately outside the battery compartment or within 500mm of the battery. The maximum rating of this fuse is 20A per battery. If a single battery is fitted to a motorhome, this fuse may be increased to 40A, however if two batteries are fitted each battery should be fused at a maximum of 20A. B) Installation & Removal

The fuse you are looking for should be within 50cm of the leisure battery.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
phone the van converter up .. i had to do that on mine when the fuse went saves hours of looking and i am an Electrician ...

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp

A) Type / Selection For optimum performance and safety it is essential that only a proprietary brand LEISURE battery is used with a typical capacity of 75 to 120 Ah (Ampere / hours). A normal car battery is NOT suitable. This battery should always be connected when the system is in use. The PSU is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. Before fitting non-standard batteries please check that the charging profile described in 3.2 is suitable for the type of battery by referring to the battery documentation or battery manufacturer. Some vehicle installations can cater for two leisure batteries connected in parallel. In these cases it is recommended that two identical batteries are used. The battery feed is fitted with an inline fuse between the battery and the electrical harness, and is usually located immediately outside the battery compartment or within 500mm of the battery. The maximum rating of this fuse is 20A per battery. If a single battery is fitted to a motorhome, this fuse may be increased to 40A, however if two batteries are fitted each battery should be fused at a maximum of 20A. B) Installation & Removal

According to the circuit diagram the 40 amp fuse that blew protected the EC400 from the engine battery. When this fuse blew the only symptoms noticed were where the PCU was unable to see or display the state of the engine battery. All other functions appear to be unchanged. Both leisure and engine batteries are still charged when the engine is running.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp

Thanks but my problem as stated is the fuse that that runs between the engine battery and the P1 terminal on the EC400 unit. The fuse on the Leisure battery circuit to the P2 terminal of the EC400 unit is where it should be and is not the problem.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Got a nice reply from a very nice lady - Verity at Autocruise/Swift with the details below. I have further requested a copy of fig 4.
3759327.jpg
As I'm a quick on the draw numpty I thought that the access to this area must be hidden by the covers around the passenger side footwell area so after removing 4 panels found a lot of sawdust and muck left by the converter and a multi plug - no 40a fuse. Well at least I got a chance to clean the area and tidy up the unused connections that were just laid on the floor.
wrong area IMG_0325sml.jpg multiplug not 40a fuse IMG_0326.jpg
So next step tomorrow will be to look under that inspection panel that @berni109 posted gives access to the fuel tank bits. The 40amp must be in there?

Attachments

• 3759327.jpg
    3759327.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 61

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fuse 3 on figure 4 is a midi fuse. hard to see if they blow

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Still searching but....did get a reply from Swift/Autocruise with a pic and details where the leisure/auxiliary bats were connected - to point 3. Okay my engine bat says 70amp there against the diagram showing 50amp.
3759327.jpg

but also just noticed that the diagram is for a left hand drive so the passenger pillar mentioned may actually be on the driver's side? will continue looking.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
SUCCESS but all the diagrams pertaining to my problem for the EC400 and the starter battery terminals are incorrect at least for my registered 2012 (2011 built) Autocruise Rhythm PVC including the diagrams issued for my Autocruise by Swift 1096396 issued 09/2011 and the emailed info recently received from Swift.

The pic below shows a row of 3 pos terminals. I was advised by Swift that the the number 3 terminal - extreme right was the feed to follow. based on this advice I ignored the other connections and lifted all the panels in the cab area searching for the elusive 40a fuse to no avail.
blown fuse 01.jpg

The pos feed from the starter battery to the EC400 is not the extreme righthand 70amp fused connection. I fell into the trap that blown fuses clearly show that they have failed but these damn things connected directly to the battery do not. I checked all 3 for continuity and found No.1 extreme left to be dead. I had already purchased some 40amp Maxi fuses and I short circuited the dead 50amp fuse and hey presto the EC400 was connected.
blown fuse01a.jpg

I have been unable to replace the fuse above with like for like so have put in place a temporary 50amp Halfords box type fuse until I find the correct one. MTA 18011 32v 50amp.
blown fuse 02.jpg

Part of this vent had been damaged by a previous owner and being close to the EC400 was ideal for fitting these gizmos giving each battery status rather than lifting seats up to view the buried EC400.
Thanks for all your comments.

Attachments

• blown fuse01a.jpg
    blown fuse01a.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thanks, just bought 2! I should have paid more attention to your comment, I thought you were saying its unlikely that these fail rather than its hard to see if they have failed. I did notice that some of these now sold do have a clear window that will show failure like the blade fuses do.

Any body want any 40amp fuses? Ive got 10 of em!
always test with fuses with a meter visual can send you up the wrong path

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back