Apr 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Getting more experienced each trip
Hi

We have hade one on our caravan and loved it (even the wife could put it up). Will be getting one for our MH when we pick it up

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Recently purchased a freestanding one and used it just the once so far. First erection took about 30 minutes to work out, the dis-erection ( ?!? ) about 10 minutes. I can see these times improving dramatically now i know what's what. It packs away easily enought too, but the bundle is about twice the size of a similar sized pole awning. Overall, very pleased with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We also have a vango kela airbeam very quick to inflate, we are really pleased with it. The only thing with these awnings is that the makers state they shouldn't be used for long periods of use, as the sun's rays can degrade them, and warranty will not cover this kind of use.

John.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We have a couple of friends who have them and say they may cause damage to the windout when after loading the awning into the groove they are heavy to wind back up , not tried it myself so only hearsay, but one sold theirs. Pete

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Blow up awnings?

explosion-clipart-kaboom_Clip_Art.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
One of these on the side of an Auto-trail on a site we're on. http://www.kampa.co.uk/air-awnings/rally-air
Been up for a week or so. Apart from that couldn't tell you much more.

Not looking to "drive you away" from Fun (you'll see the light eventually!) but seem to recollect there was a debate on a caravan focussed forum (Caravan Talk) a year or so ago about inflatable awnings. Might be worth a look there.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Only time I just might just about use one is long term in Spain, and for that I don't see these standing up to the conditions (sun & winds)

No. if I wanted one I would buy one of the many (abandoned through lack of use in garages all over this land) frame/cotton models on sale from an auction websites :)

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
One of these on the side of an Auto-trail on a site we're on. http://www.kampa.co.uk/air-awnings/rally-air
Been up for a week or so. Apart from that couldn't tell you much more.

Not looking to "drive you away" from Fun (you'll see the light eventually!) but seem to recollect there was a debate on a caravan focussed forum (Caravan Talk) a year or so ago about inflatable awnings. Might be worth a look there.
Check out my messages, had a MH for 10 years!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have just purchased a Vango Kela. Took 30 minutes to put up the first time in the garden. Haven't had a chance to use it with the MoHo yet but will next weekend when we are off to Lossie and Nairn for a week. No intention of driving away but thought a free standing one would suit our needs better i.e. a room for getting the dog clean and removing dirty footwear before going in the van. The additional outside seating area for nice days is a bonus. Going to use the over-roof straps because I don't have an awning or rail. Bought for £360 + £7.50 shipping from United British Caravans. Will report back more after next week.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I have just purchased a Vango Kela. Took 30 minutes to put up the first time in the garden. Haven't had a chance to use it with the MoHo yet but will next weekend when we are off to Lossie and Nairn for a week. No intention of driving away but thought a free standing one would suit our needs better i.e. a room for getting the dog clean and removing dirty footwear before going in the van. The additional outside seating area for nice days is a bonus. Going to use the over-roof straps because I don't have an awning or rail. Bought for £360 + £7.50 shipping from United British Caravans. Will report back more after next week.
:cartoon:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Just want to add that it is quite bulky, almost identical to a Duvalay if you know what they look like rolled up. It does however fit nicely under the nearside bench seat but have to load internally because it won't fit through the external locker door. Still plenty of room in there for two small tool kits, levelling blocks, two deckchairs, collapsible trolley and a few other odds and ends so, all is good(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
looked at them during the NEC show , I do admit I was impressed ,ive used awnings on caravans and find the concept of the quick erecting most attractive , wet soggy dogs and muddy boots in either a caravan or a MH are not a good idea , having a dry space that you can use to clean up in ,ticks another box​

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Friend of mine had one on his caravan here in Spain for the winter.

Came back one day after a trip out and one of the main pillars had burst, due to the support fabric, having split.
He had it just over 12 months and the sunshine had destroyed the fabric.
Neither Maker or Retailer were interested, claiming that the material was not made for continued exposure to the sunshine and the awning should only be for weekend use, or at the most 14 days at a time.

Needless to say he has a "proper" awning now.

:cooler:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Check out my messages, had a MH for 10 years!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:
Eh didn't see that in your original post?:wondering:
However my first point was about use with a motorhome.:smiley:
And when you said it was for your caravan well........:tounge:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have the Kampa 260L best awning i have had so far. Easy to put up and stands upto strong winds with no worry of poles bending. Takes me 5mins to put the awning on to the rail and blow up then 10mins to put all the pegs in. If needed it can come down in 2mins.

Steve 077.JPG

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I have the Kampa 260L best awning i have had so far. Easy to put up and stands upto strong winds with no worry of poles bending. Takes me 5mins to put the awning on to the rail and blow up then 10mins to put all the pegs in. If needed it can come down in 2mins.

Steve View attachment 60507
Think I might have gone for that one if it had over van straps. (y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Friend of mine had one on his caravan here in Spain for the winter.

Came back one day after a trip out and one of the main pillars had burst, due to the support fabric, having split.
He had it just over 12 months and the sunshine had destroyed the fabric.
Neither Maker or Retailer were interested, claiming that the material was not made for continued exposure to the sunshine and the awning should only be for weekend use, or at the most 14 days at a time.

Needless to say he has a "proper" awning now.

:cooler:

Weekends and max 14 days for me. Have also heard of the sunshine issue.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I feel it a bit hard on people to blow up the awnings, they might be in there when You do it
However I did see one being used at Peterborough by a couple in front with a PVC and it was quick and simply inflated but Do they seal against the van with a zip or does the water come in there? They seem better than trying to set up poles and guys.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I feel it a bit hard on people to blow up the awnings, they might be in there when You do it
However I did see one being used at Peterborough by a couple in front with a PVC and it was quick and simply inflated but Do they seal against the van with a zip or does the water come in there? They seem better than trying to set up poles and guys.
Various fitting methods and there should be little or no leakage depending on how it is fitted.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:Ta2: We were just talking about "blow up" awnings and that it would help when we had company. The over van strap would solve the no awning rail issue as well :)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have the Kampa Motor Rally Air, bought at the last NEC show, which we've only used a couple of times. The primary driver for such being extra room for wet dogs and the random crap we cart about. If the supplied pump is used it is (allegedly) impossible to over inflate (ask me how I know) as the top of the pump pings off before damage is done. It's pretty easy to put up, we try not to extend the wind out awning too far whilst threading the beading in the channel, which is probably the hardest part. So far we are pretty impressed with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back