Bloody Pheasants ! (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Travelling towards Dorchester yesterday on A35 doing about 50 ish.. and suddenly out steps a Pheasant from behind a hedge.. oh dear I think and brace myself for it to go under my wheels/van... but no this one tried to fly away... and destroyed my passenger side mirror... I could not stop as I'm in a flow of traffic...

Fortunately I dont have any of those fancy electric/heated mirrors .. but a search on Ebay doesnt really help me as I seem to have very old mirror mounts .. I'm posting pictures here of the passenger mount which looks like an aftermarket replacement and the driver side which looks like the original..would prefer a salvage mirror rather than new..
IMG_20191118_142502.jpg
IMG_20191118_142510.jpg
IMG_20191118_142531.jpg
IMG_20191118_142520.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I lost a near side mirror to a tipper truck in Croatia.
Same mount as yours on my Hymer and cost £42 for the pair off ebay so I now have a matching pair and a spare.
Just looked and no longer available from the seller I used but there were lots of others at the time, just do a search.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
sorry girls :rolleyes:
No apology necessary ... I like pink ... this was my first Smart car. :D

Car - Pink - Perky.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I was out cycling last week and must have startled 5 or more pheasants....one came very close to me. Hitting a mirror is bad but I don't want to find out what it's like having one bounce off your chest at 15mph on a bike!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You could try an hgv parts company as it looks just like an older daf mirror. Might be cheaper than paying dealers prices.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Travelling towards Dorchester yesterday on A35 doing about 50 ish.. and suddenly out steps a Pheasant from behind a hedge.. oh dear I think and brace myself for it to go under my wheels/van... but no this one tried to fly away... and destroyed my passenger side mirror... I could not stop as I'm in a flow of traffic...

Fortunately I dont have any of those fancy electric/heated mirrors .. but a search on Ebay doesnt really help me as I seem to have very old mirror mounts .. I'm posting pictures here of the passenger mount which looks like an aftermarket replacement and the driver side which looks like the original..would prefer a salvage mirror rather than new..View attachment 346836View attachment 346837View attachment 346838View attachment 346839

How was the pheasant? :(

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ah - roadkill pheasant, what a luxury.
I'm not a good pheasant plucker, so I just skin them.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We've got loads around here. I've had 11 in my small front garden. They're bred and released for shooting and quite often you drive over the brow of a hill and find half a dozen standing in the middle of the road and they've got worse road sense than rabbits :Eeek:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Stupid Birds, You would think after several Hundred Years, they would KNOW, when the man shouts and waves at them to fly over HIS head and not into the Guns!. The pre Xmas Pheasant Slaughter is in full swing round here. One of the local Farmers Runs "Shooting Parties". Allegedly around 3 grand a gun!. Our dog is definitely NOT a gun dog when the shooting starts she hides under the furniture, beds et; anything that is handy.

BTW, virtually all the Pheasants around Dorscester will be the "property" of HRH Charles Etc; Prince of Wales. Most of the land is/was part of the Duchy of Cornwall as I remember. Many of the farmers being his tenants.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
There’s loads around here . Signs on the side roads saying “slow pheasants” for the shoots.
Blooming kamikaze birds ?

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
You lot seem to have it so easy ...
On Sunday I was out on my mountain bike at the top end of the Ribble valley. My normal route takes me back to West Martin where I can join the Leeds Liverpool canal for an easy ride home.
Just before the bridleway joins the canal towpath I caught up with a young lady walking two horses up to the stables.
I stay well back from horses as A, they don't have brakes and are best part of a ton each and B, disc brakes have a tendency to squeal when wet and may scare the horses.
As we get to the last section the lady leading the horses pulls them into one side and thanks me and tells me to come past. Ok, thanks says I and just as I slowly get level with the larger if the two horses a bl**dy pheasent jumps out of the bushes. Well all hell let's loose. The bigger horse kicks the smaller horse. The smaller horse jumps to one side bashing into the young lady who trips and slips on the wet grass and in the process she topples into me knocking me off balance and I wobble into the verge. Unfortunately the verge isn't grass as it looks but a deep ditch full of water and mud and horse sh*t. I have nowhere to go but down into the ditch.
Everything went very quiet. I look up at the "horse" lady who is busting a gut trying not to laugh. It was so ridiculous I just bust out laughing.
The moral of the story. On Sundays stay in the pub where you're warm and safe from pheasent and horses.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back