BLogs, does anybody read them. (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As the title suggests it's a general question, do people read blogs or do they want to see stuff in the touring section of wherever so that it pops up on e recent posts page.

We are currently in the Czech Republic and rather than cluttering up the photo of the day thread with loads of photos I thought I would write it up a bit and started adding it to the blog I never even got off the ground with when we whent to Spain earlier in the year.

This is as far as I have got.

Broken Link Removed

But don't want to put too many hours into it if nobody is going to see it.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I, for one, would love to read of your adventures! Look forward to it. (y)

WOW that was quick, but would you find it in the blogs or should I just start a thread and rabbit on there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Yes, if I know that a person has been to an area that interests me, then I usually bookmark it for further reference. (y)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
WOW that was quick, but would you find it in the blogs or should I just start a thread and rabbit on there

I would stick it on here in Motorhome Chat; everybody comes here & would see it! There might possibly be some who would say use the blog section but there have been many enjoyable tales of travels here in the past so go for it! Start a thread here and just go back an add to it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I would stick it on here in Motorhome Chat; everybody comes here & would see it! There might possibly be some who would say use the blog section but there have been many enjoyable tales of travels here in the past so go for it! Start a thread here and just go back an add to it.

I agree - I forget to go in to the blogs. Have really been enjoying @Mousy's travel tales and an alert comes up when something else is added.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I used to do a travel blog for my car club when working but never posted it on here - it was extremely successful since it was basically about what was seen (a fair share of people watching and wondering), other cultures or lack thereof, rather than what I did. It is quite hard to keep it interesting thus, as some travel blogs I've seen descend into a big ego trip for the writer. Stopped doing it when it was beginning to repeat itself and become less funny, which disappointed a lot but it was best to quit whilst ahead.

I always read what @Mousy says for instance as it is usually full of self deprecating humour and very well written but certain other blogs are all about "I", "I", "I"

Still get requests from a few car members but not playing ball......

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No offence but Ive never made it past page 1 of a blog yet.
Been asked to write about our travels many many times but can't do it personally.
But good luck with it though I'm sure lots of folks will enjoy it.(y)(y)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, if I know that a person has been to an area that interests me, then I usually bookmark it for further reference. (y)

Exactly what I do,if I spent any more time reading blogs etc there might be trouble. :whistle2:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
for me, please stick it in the chat section, as you say it pops up in recent when changed and can be 'watched' for updates (y)

By the time I get through 'recent' I have already been on for too long to go through the blogs :)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We do a blog it started off for the kids so they could keep tabs on us.Never put any personal details on like having a crap day or we had kippers for breakfast lol.

We just put a few details and a picture of where we stay also comes in handy when we go back to a area you have a record to look at.

Need to update it ( over a year ) last updated .

Also met a couple in Portugal ...got chatting about aires etc and where to stay they came out with a big folder full of pages from our blog they had printed off so funny .

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No offence but Ive never made it past page 1 of a blog yet.
Been asked to write about our travels many many times but can't do it personally.
But good luck with it though I'm sure lots of folks will enjoy it.(y)(y)

I know what you mean, they can be a lot all at once rather than dipping in and out on threads, hence my question/self doubt.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The Blogs do get a lot of views especially those that blog trips away. The B next to your Avatar leads directly to your blog. Its always a good idea to promote your blog with a line in your signature or even a post like this one. You can make a post on the forum every time you make an entry if you like. This will drive visitors to your blog.

Blogs make great records of a trip, and are really just like a regular forum post, except for 3 main differences.
  1. All comments are kept below your post, this keeps things nice and relevant. If you posted your trip report say, in a thread, your story is broken by others posts and you have no control over the threads direction.
  2. Second all your blog posts are kept in one place, not spread all over the forum. You can Categorise them so you can blog about different things. "Summer Holiday" "Hunt for New Van" "My Weight loss Journal" etc.
  3. You can choose who can see your blog, you can make it public, funsters only, totally private, or just for people you 'follow'
So you get plenty of control, a built in audience and its free. People can 'Watch a Blog" so they will be notified when you make an entry you can encourage them to do this in your blog post. The more you write, the more regular you write, the more readers you will attract. Best of luck in building the audience. Meanwhile, I just 'watched' your blog (y)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Hi Ninovan

I think I am going to end up doing a bit of both I will try to update the blog for the diehards.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Totally agree with @Ninovan, I would not stumble across it if it were in the Blog/section.

I agree - I forget to go in to the blogs. Have really been enjoying @Mousy's travel tales and an alert comes up when something else is added.

Again total agreement wouldn't miss a page of Mousy and Ger's travels, but wouldn't think to look it up so keep it here. (y)

ps now I've read Jim's post that makes sense, I didn't know that the "B" in you Avatar meant Blog.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The forum moves so fast these days, that those who 'blog' using regular posts risk it disappearing or being hard to find with the other 1.5 million posts in competition. Making it difficult sometimes to find your own post, let alone someone elses. I would always recommend a teaser in a post leading back to your blog, once people know it's there they will "Watch it " and not miss a single entry (y) Readers can still interact by commenting on the blog, just as they can in a thread and the good thing is their comments don't disappear in that 1.5m either, they become an excellent addition; part of the blog, something that would be lost in regular posts spread throughout the forum.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'd add a #4 to Jim's list
A blog is like a 'Personal Travel Diary'
So it doesn't really matter if it doesn't get read by the great unwashed.
It can be your own personal memento - better than a paper one because you can insert photos & images (not necessarily your own!) to illustrate your 'adventure' as well as web links.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Do what DBK does. Post on the forum and then make it into a blog. Just looked at his blog for info about Avila as remembered he'd been there from his thread.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I read lots of Moho blogs, and I admire the time people put into recording their experiences, I just don't have the patience, so well done bloggers, keep it up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back