LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are sat on Wykes Farm site at Andover for Easter and the kitchen sink is blocked. I can get it to drain very slowly by agitating it with a plunger but clearly something is blocking it. The shower and toilet sink drain okay. The question is, can I use Mr Muscle or some other drain cleaner without damaging any of the pipes? Or any other suggestions welcome.

Derek

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you look under the sink there may be a smell trap with a unscrew-able bottom.

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Andy, could not see anything under the sink the pipe disappears behind the cooker. I will see if I can see anything from underneath the van in the morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as already said, there may be a small round trap in the waste pipework underneath the van floor in the external pipework to the grey tank.

usually about the size of an old KIWI boot polish tin but a little thicker with the waste pipe entering and exiting on opposite sides.

unscrew the bottom (if it is blocked you may get a sudden gush of water :whatthe:) and check its clear.

try boiling water first as its probably grease/fat which has congealed in the waste.

Mr Muscle etc should be ok but dont get any on the sink surface.....it could stain.

use a toilet roll tube etc as a funnel to direct the liquid straight into the waste pipe.....SLOWLY, so as not to overfill the 'funnel'

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Blocked sink

Every time my sink has gone slow its been congealed fat, I use hot water and fairy liquid and slowly it goes through.

Phil

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everyone, now pouring hot water and fairy liquid to see if that works, it is draining but very very slowly. I am guessing that it is more likely to be blocked with a combination of rice and fat as we have had curry on Thursday and it was fine before that. Anyway, next step is to get underneath and see what can be done.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When either of our sinks start to drain slowly we have found that Thetford Grey Tank Freshener sorts it out.
Mike.

I also forgot to mention that,over the 2 yrs period we have been using it,the black coating on the inside of our grey waste tank has completely gone.::bigsmile:

Mike.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will probably need to clean the waste traps beneath as papaohn suggests. they will fill with lots of crud.

A cheap drain cleaner will work fine. We have used a 'keep it handy' drain cleaner (99p) which does the job a treat, poure a little down, wait 20 mins and rinse with hot water. Do not throw the waste down the elsan point if on site though, as it may have issues in their slurry tanks. (or at least ask)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back