nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have Travelpilot 500 that came with my Hobby motorhome which is also the reversing camera. It has been for a repair as it had a number of problems initially and it now seems to be behaving reliably so I would like to upload the CL and CS campsite pushpins to it and make more use of it.

The problem is I can't find any information on how to go about it as it is not a common sat nav and the instruction book is not very helpful. I am sure it would be a useful bit of kit in the right hands so if anyone can help me add the campsite information and generally make more use of it I would be extremely grateful.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got the same model with my van and have eventually given up on it and got a TomTom. I don't believe it's possible to upload POI's and the latest map upload does not cover the UK. I just use it as a reversing aid and use the TomTom for navigation. The only good thing about the set up is the very sensitive microphone, I can hear my other half giving me instructions as I reverse.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oh dear! I suspected as much.

I have spent all afternoon searching for information on this beast but I am no further forward. I think your plan sounds like a good one but it is such a shame as it has the potential to be a really good device.

Any advice on which TomTom to go for?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I just got the cheapest one I could find that fitted the bill, that is one I could read without spectacles when driving. Went to Halfords to look at them to make sure the screen was big enough then bought online as advised by the shopgirl, she told me it was cheaper! We didn't need an all singing all dancing version as we still use a road atlas and have a large collection of old fashioned maps.

Rgds
Bill

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Oh dear! I suspected as much.

I have spent all afternoon searching for information on this beast but I am no further forward. I think your plan sounds like a good one but it is such a shame as it has the potential to be a really good device.

[HI]Any advice on which TomTom to go for?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

A Garmin!! went through this dillema a couple of months ago and asked the guy in a major Halfords store for his recommendation TOMTOM or GARMIN, he said that particular week he had 14 Tomtoms and 1 Garmin being returned under warranty. It focussed my mind.:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
A Garmin!! went through this dillema a couple of months ago and asked the guy in a major Halfords store for his recommendation TOMTOM or GARMIN, he said that particular week he had 14 Tomtoms and 1 Garmin being returned under warranty. It focussed my mind.:thumb:

I had spoken to the same guy a little earlier and if you had asked a few more questions you may have had more advice.

My communication was as follows:

"Hi, this is the 4th Garmin I have returned this week and to be honest I have had enough" LOOK said the salesman I have not told you this but Garmin are cr*p. Besides we have no more left as they have all been returned for repair. "Why do you have so many Tom Tom's for sale" the salesman replied "We buy 10 times as many Tom Tom's than Garmins so we obviously have some left, also we have not had any Tom Tom's returned"

The morale is:

Take as you find and I find a SALESMAN does speak with forked tongue :Eeek:

OR

It is the same old, same old:

Some like ........ and some like .......... Thankfully we are all not the same :thumb:

Gooney please do not take this as criticism of you only a statement of fact

Bmw or Merc
Triumph or BSA
Spitfire or MG

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had spoken to the same guy a little earlier and if you had asked a few more questions you may have had more advice.

My communication was as follows:

"Hi, this is the 4th Garmin I have returned this week and to be honest I have had enough" LOOK said the salesman I have not told you this but Garmin are cr*p. Besides we have no more left as they have all been returned for repair. "Why do you have so many Tom Tom's for sale" the salesman replied "We buy 10 times as many Tom Tom's than Garmins so we obviously have some left, also we have not had any Tom Tom's returned"

The morale is:

Take as you find and I find a SALESMAN does speak with forked tongue :Eeek:

OR

It is the same old, same old:

Some like ........ and some like .......... Thankfully we are all not the same :thumb:

Gooney please do not take this as criticism of you only a statement of fact

Bmw or Merc
Triumph or BSA
Spitfire or MG

Thanks you for your advice Sandj, I'm sure it is not a critiscism of my reasoning, I did say I was in a dillema and if you like, the observation from the Halfords assistant did focus my mind after studiously reading countless amounts of customer ratings on various retailer websites, after selecting the Garmin option (and not from Halfords) it has performed exactly as stated on the tin.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I went into Halfords last year, just to have a "hands on" look at a DVD /CD car stereo for the van, one with a built in LCD screen.

I had already had a search on the net, and I knew which one I was interested in. I just wanted to plug in my USB and see the picture quality on the screen.

While chatting with him I asked a few questions.

Q? Is it compatible with my iPod touch. A; Yes (Actually it was not) :Eeek:
Q? Can I connect a reversing camera. A; No (Actually you could) :Eeek:
Q? Does it have Av out so I can connect it to a TV; A; No (Actually it did....) :Eeek:

He then tried to sell me a different cheaper model. I asked is this not old stock?
No, he said, we are waiting on more coming in.
I asked then why is it on sale on your web site with 50% off the in store price you have here, due to being discontinued stock?....:Doh::Doh:

So often these days, these guys have little or no product knowledge. They are keen to help and want to sell but lack knowledge. They will often tell you want they think you want to hear.... They have a high turnover on staff in these shops...

I will never rely on anyone in a store like Halfords, Currys and the like for information.
Just google it, read it up and check product reviews on Amazon and other sites, ask on forums like this if it a related product others on the site can give you feedback or views on, and then make your own mind up.

After all it's your hard earned cash you are parting with...:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
OTOH there is one particular lad in Halfords in Coventry who has been on the electronics side for ages and he does know of what he speaks. You have to be patient and join the Q to speak to him though!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I went into Halfords last year, just to have a "hands on" look at a DVD /CD car stereo for the van, one with a built in LCD screen.

I had already had a search on the net, and I knew which one I was interested in. I just wanted to plug in my USB and see the picture quality on the screen.

While chatting with him I asked a few questions.

Q? Is it compatible with my iPod touch. A; Yes (Actually it was not) :Eeek:
Q? Can I connect a reversing camera. A; No (Actually you could) :Eeek:
Q? Does it have Av out so I can connect it to a TV; A; No (Actually it did....) :Eeek:

He then tried to sell me a different cheaper model. I asked is this not old stock?
No, he said, we are waiting on more coming in.
I asked then why is it on sale on your web site with 50% off the in store price you have here, due to being discontinued stock?....:Doh::Doh:

So often these days, these guys have little or no product knowledge. They are keen to help and want to sell but lack knowledge. They will often tell you want they think you want to hear.... They have a high turnover on staff in these shops...

I will never rely on anyone in a store like Halfords, Currys and the like for information.
Just google it, read it up and check product reviews on Amazon and other sites, ask on forums like this if it a related product others on the site can give you feedback or views on, and then make your own mind up.

After all it's your hard earned cash you are parting with...:thumb:

Absolutely correct Callumwa, I always research on the internet then go to the retailers to see the actual products, as I stated in my post I got the final information I wanted from Halfords but purchased from the internet saving £60 of my 'hard earned cash'. Incidently I find Curry's the worst offenders for uninformed assistants, particularly at the weekend, they tend to employ students from local uni's or college's who will very pleasantly come up to you and say "can I help you sir" my usual response is "I don't know, can you"? Guess what!!. I actually feel sorry for these kids, it's there retailers that piss me off!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back