Blanking-off a roof vent, or not ... (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
One aspect of downsizing that I hadn't really considered before changing to a narrow 6.5m van (Hymer Exis t474) was the much reduced space available for solar panels.
From experience we need at least 200w and ideally 300w.

The roof already has 1x100w but also two opening skylights, an opening vent over the shower and two fixed vents. None of the spaces on the roof are good sizes for rigid solar panels, the largest space being about 114cm x 65cm. See pic. (Already removed the TV aerial and blanked hole with chequer-plate)

Of the two fixed vents one is in a galley locker and the the other is above the Thetford fridge, in what was a sealed compartment. This compartment is now a cupboard since I've hinged the front panel. See pic (vent is in cupboard above hob). This compartment has not got hot in use, and it's also vented into the vehicle; it's base is a wooden panel sitting an inch above the top of the fridge. (The external fridge vents will have thermostatically controlled fans in the near future`)

If I were to remove and blank-off the vent above the fridge I'd have about 1m x1.5m of space to play with.
The vent must be there for a reason, if only to provide the legal minimum fixed ventilation.

Advisability, or not, of this course of action ?

Screenshot 2019-06-18 at 20.51.26.jpg

Screenshot 2019-06-18 at 18.15.34.jpg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Don’t do it. The ventilators are there to ensure your safety. Here is the relevant section from my Hymer manual (albeit from an earlier period, but the principle is unchanged).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fabricate taller stand off brackets from aluminium angle to mount the panel over the fixed vent, then put a spoiler in front to deflect air over when driving (or it will howl)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There are several companies that will make custom size panels for you but they won't be that cheap.
For a cheap solution you can buy solar cells on eBay and make up your own panels a friend of mine did that for his last van.

Already removed the TV aerial and blanked hole with chequer-plate)
If that is the standard Hymer fit whip aerial it is also the radio FM & DAB aerial.

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Could you consider mounting a second panel on top of the one you have now, that slides out over the edge of the roof when parked?

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Plan B it is then :confused:
Thanks for the advice and I'll now admit that there was more than a little of Devil's advocacy in the original post.

TheBig1's idea I will contemplate, but I don't much care for the tall bracket approach given the additional turning moment acting on the brackets. I'll measure up and see.

Mr Chrysalis' idea hadn't crossed my mind; hingeing two panels might work for someone else - but I'd need to carry a ladder to deploy it.

Still looking in the eu for some marine-grade semi-flexible 80w panels at a reasonable price that will fit the long narrow spaces on the roof. Boaty friends have had Unisolar panels stuck to boats for 10 years - but I'm struggling to find an online re-seller. :(

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Plan B it is then :confused:
Thanks for the advice and I'll now admit that there was more than a little of Devil's advocacy in the original post.

TheBig1's idea I will contemplate, but I don't much care for the tall bracket approach given the additional turning moment acting on the brackets. I'll measure up and see.

Mr Chrysalis' idea hadn't crossed my mind; hingeing two panels might work for someone else - but I'd need to carry a ladder to deploy it.

Still looking in the eu for some marine-grade semi-flexible 80w panels at a reasonable price that will fit the long narrow spaces on the roof. Boaty friends have had Unisolar panels stuck to boats for 10 years - but I'm struggling to find an online re-seller. :(
Look on Amazon. There are several long narrow flexible panels there

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
All I looked at on Amazon had minimal, limited, warranties. Once bitten, twice shy; I want 5 year warranty and a clear unambiguous policy for dealing with failures - whether it's the seller or manufacturer. They will after all be stuck to the roof .... but strangely the sellers of my previous panels that failed seemed to think that this was a novel idea (even tho' it was in their ad. blurb) and that I should be able to send the panels back to them .....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with extended brackets, just add a couple of cross braces to resist turning forces. have also seen people fit panels to a roof rack that spans over vents. the airflow beneath is still clear for the vents to still operate

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think Photonic Universe generally get good reviews and do an 80w slim panel.

Not sure the warranty will suit your requirements though as it's a year for workmanship and then separate solar cell guarantee by the manufacturer.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I had to move my aerial to get the maximum amount of solar on our pvc Kingham, and I had to pay a premium price to get certain sized panels that took up as much of my use able space as possible.
I got my panels from photonic universe.
Check out their different sizes.

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Lenny: The aerial I removed was a Status TV aerial. No idea where the radio aerial is, but the radio still works!

tonyidle: A hinge might give the opportunity for angling the panel to optimise the harvest.

Stroppy Bird: previous flexi panels failed one month after the 12 month warranty expired. The retailer eventually replaced them (with rigid). Solar Technology Intl offer a 5 year warranty on their PVLogic panels but nearly £300 for a single 60w is more that I usually pay for a full installation !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny: The aerial I removed was a Status TV aerial. No idea where the radio aerial is, but the radio still works!
Why would you have a Status aerial on a Hymer, they have a TV aerial as standard same one that does the radio just uses a different amp.
Sounds like another dealer who hasn't a clue.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Probably in the overcab roof area then.
Even on my last Hymer A class 2008 the (rather pathetic) owners handbook made no mention of the aerial. It was only whilst I was replacing it with a DAB/FM version that I found extra leads in the A post. Other than the FM radio lead all were tied-up out of sight behind the nearside dashboard.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
No need to hinge. Use stainless drawer runners to mount one above the other & slide open when parked up.
You could use the awning pole to pull the second panel out on the runners? Hubby has made me a pole with a hook for the kitchen roof light as I’m a shorty!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back