Blackhorse Farm for tunnel (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
In process of trying to book ferry pitch online but it only gives option of 10-12am departure. We need to leave at 6:30am. Can we leave then or is there a barrier?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The ferry pitches were outside of the barrier when we used one but that was several years ago, anyway we had no problem leaving early. Not sure now about the barriers but still remember no problem in leaving very early in the morning.

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Black Horse are geared up for early leavers and will allocate an appropriate 1 night pitch if you tell them on booking that you need an early leave (correct in Sept 2019)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Black Horse are geared up for early leavers and will allocate an appropriate 1 night pitch if you tell them on booking that you need an early leave (correct in Sept 2019)

Thanks. Maybe I need to ring to book ... there’s no option to do that online.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Early departures are allocated in a different section.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, you can leave anytime but early departures are allocated a pitch near the barrier to avoid disturbing others.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Why leave at that unsociable time?
Take a ferry the previous evening, that may well be cheaper, and stop at Cite Europe for the night.
Next morning straight onto the motorway and away.
You have saved the cost of a night on an expensive UK site, perhaps got a cheaper crossing, had a free night in France and away much earlier.
You know it makes sense. (y) :D

Richard

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Take a ferry the previous evening, that may well be cheaper, and stop at Cite Europe for the night.
You have saved the cost of a night on an expensive UK site, perhaps got a cheaper crossing, had a free night in France and away much earlier.

Richard

And you don’t loose an hour the following day as you’re on EU time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks folks I’ll call site tomorrow. Tunnel already booked ?

You decided to go then ? we’ll be on the train early hours of the 12th I’m assuming that’s when you’re going, if so give us a wave as we plan to stay at Cite de Europe

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You decided to go then ? we’ll be on the train early hours of the 12th I’m assuming that’s when you’re going, if so give us a wave as we plan to stay at Cite de Europe
Yes, Tim got excused from jury duty and Sam’s passport arrived ... I’m ridiculously excited. We’re just going to head to Carlisle Friday night then down to Blackhorse Farm for Saturday night so will arrive in France later than you!! Don’t have the stamina to do it in a oner ?.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
If you are booking a ferry pitch, even if you book on line, you have to phone the site to pay in advance. Why not use the Aire in Canterbury? Much cheaper and no problems leaving at any time. Not much further than from the tunnel.

If you do stop at Blackhorse Farm, the pub over the road does good food.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are booking a ferry pitch, even if you book on line, you have to phone the site to pay in advance. Why not use the Aire in Canterbury? Much cheaper and no problems leaving at any time. Not much further than from the tunnel.

If you do stop at Blackhorse Farm, the pub over the road does good food.
I am sitting in the Canterbury Aire at the moment. Use the overflow site on the right as it is much quieter than the main site on the left as you drive in.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes, Tim got excused from jury duty and Sam’s passport arrived ... I’m ridiculously excited. We’re just going to head to Carlisle Friday night then down to Blackhorse Farm for Saturday night so will arrive in France later than you!! Don’t have the stamina to do it in a oner ?.
If heading to Carlisle you can stay the night at The Metal Bridge pub, it does nice food if you fancy eating there if not just have a couple of drinks.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
If heading to Carlisle you can stay the night at The Metal Bridge pub, it does nice food if you fancy eating there if not just have a couple of drinks.

That’s the plan ... is it easy access southbound? From what I gather they’re not happy with folk staying but not saying hello. I’m going to email them next ...

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Richard

Blackhorse Farm has a pub opposite, where you can get an evening meal and a pint (but you have to book) and of course the heated shower block available 24h and many bunny rabbits to watch. A good place to unwind after the stress of the M25 and M20.

I always look forward to arriving in France. Meanwhile my holiday really begins the evening before.

Not that expensive either for a ferry pitch.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
That’s the plan ... is it easy access southbound? From what I gather they’re not happy with folk staying but not saying hello. I’m going to email them next ...

If you’re coming from Ayrshire via Dumfries and along the A75 then turn off at Gretna on the left slip road, turn right at the top and drive past the shopping centre then you’ll cross an old metal bridge once over this turn first right. This runs alongside the M74/M6 and you’ll see the turning for hotel.
If you miss the Gretna Turning just come off at Carlisle and head back up.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
we've used the site once for a crossing. if your going to get there after the office closes ring before 6pm to let them know and they put your pitch details etc. in an envelope on the notice board.
Just exit the gate and put the gate card in the letter box when you leave.. if your fairly local go straight accross find a site like Chatau Benne Assisi 15min from the tunnel arrive at any time of night.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
we've used the site once for a crossing. if your going to get there after the office closes ring before 6pm to let them know and they put your pitch details etc. in an envelope on the notice board.
Just exit the gate and put the gate card in the letter box when you leave.. if your fairly local go straight accross find a site like Chatau Benne Assisi 15min from the tunnel arrive at any time of night.

Thanks. We’re Ayr in Scotland. I don’t want to do Cite Europe as I feel uncomfortable with bikes on back (regardless of statistics) so La Bien Assise seemed like a good option ... until we discovered it shuts for winter before we go .... hence the rethink.
Next summer we’ll use it ...

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
sorry didnt know they shut for the winter, nice site though we only stayed one night got there at 9pm local had a walk round went to bed, waited till the office opened at 9am booked in and left to head south.
If i were to stay longer try and find a pitch away from the main road, a lot of lorries first thing in the morning heading for the local quarry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back