Blackberry 64gb playbook only £129 (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Trying to download/sideload apps to the PB but when I try I get a message about my Java programme. I can't work out what I should be downloading - can anyone help please. Oh and please in simple language that a baby can understand! ::bigsmile:

Currently have Java 6 Update 15 showing as being one of my programmes together with Java 6 Update 6 (found these using the add or remove doohicky on control panel)

Can you tell I'm useless with computers!:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
[HI]Trying to download/sideload apps to the PB[/HI] but when I try I get a message about my Java programme. I can't work out what I should be downloading - can anyone help please. Oh and please in simple language that a baby can understand! ::bigsmile:

Currently have Java 6 Update 15 showing as being one of my programmes together with Java 6 Update 6 (found these using the add or remove doohicky on control panel)

Can you tell I'm useless with computers!:Blush:

I'll try and help .. but first .. What download site are you using ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
thank you!

I used the link that you put in a previous post. My OS is XP Professional if that makes any difference.

I've downloaded DDPB - that came in ok. Tried to download an app and the note said that my Java was no good. Clicked on the link you gave me, and was promptly lost - totally! :Smile:

Thanks for your time and trouble! I'm anxious to get this sorted, as I am off on my travels 1st October, sadly not in a motor home yet (that will only come after my visit to South Africa in March) but it's the start of a whole new life for me!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim any idea if its possible to run the Android app for gotomypc? Interested in a PB but its got to run GTMPC. to be useful

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim any idea if its possible to run the Android app for gotomypc? Interested in a PB but its got to run GTMPC. to be useful

Ian

Hi Ian .. not that I am aware of.. but I'm just learning, there my be other BB apps that can do the same job

A search on Crackberry .. throws this lot up.. Link Removed

EDIT

If you want to try an app before you buy PB , I'll test the app ...

EDIT 2

I'm going to try Team Viewer.. will let you know

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thank you!

I used the link that you put in a previous post. My OS is XP Professional if that makes any difference.

I've downloaded DDPB - that came in ok. Tried to download an app and the note said that my Java was no good. Clicked on the link you gave me, and was promptly lost - totally! :Smile:

Thanks for your time and trouble! I'm anxious to get this sorted, as I am off on my travels 1st October, sadly not in a motor home yet (that will only come after my visit to South Africa in March) but it's the start of a whole new life for me!

I'm struggling to know what's gone wrong.. they usually download no problem ..

try clicking this app download link and tell me what happens .. when the page opens, click download

It's Amazon Kindle for Playbook, I downloaded, so I know it works
Link Removed

Last edited:

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
just got this playbook:whatthe: so i will be on here a lot getting all you lot that got me to part with money:Eeek:. to help me when i do some wrong:RollEyes:
Bill

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I also have just bought a playbook.............seemed a cheap way into tablets
to learn a few things. I must say it oozes quality.its a thing of great beauty.

Just got to get it up and working now :)

barry

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I'm struggling to know what's gone wrong.. they usually download no problem ..

try clicking this app download link and tell me what happens .. when the page opens, click download

It's Amazon Kindle for Playbook, I downloaded, so I know it works
Link Removed

It downloaded onto the laptop ok, connected and loaded to the playbook but nothing happened thereafter. The laptop no longer recognizes the playbook saying unknown device disconnect and try again. Did that three or four times but laptop still not recognizing pb. Thanks anyway will try again tomorrow.:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It downloaded onto the laptop ok, connected and loaded to the playbook but nothing happened thereafter. The laptop no longer recognizes the playbook saying unknown device disconnect and try again. Did that three or four times but laptop still not recognizing pb. Thanks anyway will try again tomorrow.:Eeek:

Haven't come across that problem...

when you load the app the icon should be on the home page .. if not then it hasn't loaded properly..

Try this;
Remove the usb cable, re boot the PB, connect the usb cable and re connect to the DDPB software .. when connected successfully, delete the app .. then try reloading it ..

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Haven't come across that problem...

when you load the app the icon should be on the home page .. if not then it hasn't loaded properly..

Try this;
Remove the usb cable, re boot the PB, connect the usb cable and re connect to the DDPB software .. when connected successfully, delete the app .. then try reloading it ..

Maybe if you look under --start/computer/look for C:--D: drives ect then you should see a PB drive there, click on it in there ?

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Played with the PB for a day now.......wow what an impressive bit of kit for the money.

Photos are good.as are the videos....playback of music and dowmloaded films is great as is live tv and iplayer.

Email using any of my accounds is perfect............and the ability to attach pics or video clip to emails works well.

Getting used to the swiping and will add an app or two now .........quite amazing value.........the screen is fantastic

barry

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
The fault lies with the laptop computer - drat! So will have to go and visit a man what knows!:Sad:

Still enjoying my playbook though!:winky: Thanks all for your suggestions!

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
after having a good play with my playbook had a look round and found this app for skype it works ::bigsmile: only made calls so far. opps forgot to put link in:Doh:
Link Removed
it has to be side loaded
bill
update someone skyped me and could not connect with me tried to skype them and did not work, had made three calls before, now does not seem work

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
after having a good play with my playbook had a look round and found this app for skype it works ::bigsmile: only made calls so far. opps forgot to put link in:Doh:
Link Removed
it has to be side loaded
bill

I looked at this app but didn't load for the following reasons ...
NOTE: With the recent OS Update, this no longer will work and will give you an upgrade message. The OS update from a few weeks ago broke this build. Only people who did not upgrade the latest Playbook OS can use this. We are working on fixing this, stay tuned.

This app does not work with video chats, but you can use the text based aspect of it to type to your contacts. It will not work to video or audio chat because of the way the Blackberry Emulator works.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Some might find useful

... XMarks.

Its a piece of software which syncs your bookmarks between computers. I use it on my desktop, laptop and netbook... and recently discovered the playbook has an XMark app!

All my bookmarks now open in its native browser, and the various login details of those site.

* I've just checked to see if it was a free app & noticed something about a 14 day free trial which I'm sure wasn't there when I downloaded it. I guess time will tell if they try to charge me in the future.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
... XMarks.

Its a piece of software which syncs your bookmarks between computers. I use it on my desktop, laptop and netbook... and recently discovered the playbook has an XMark app!

All my bookmarks now open in its native browser, and the various login details of those site.

* I've just checked to see if it was a free app & noticed something about a 14 day free trial which I'm sure wasn't there when I downloaded it. I guess time will tell if they try to charge me in the future.

Had a look at this one, it's free for 14days then $12 per year..

and it doesn't work with the native playbook browser..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I haven't found a (free) way to sync bookmarks between the Playbook and lappy.. but there is a workaround..

Export your bookmarks as an html file from your browser to playbook..

I copied to PB 'documents' .. but when I looked couldn't see them

to find and explore PB files.. do this

Type this URL into your PlayBook's browser:
file:///accounts/1000/shared

Note that it is three "/" after "file:" and not two.

bookmark this address ..

open the html file and you can click on bookmarks.. long winded I know, but it does work ..

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've had XMarks on my regular machines for Firefox for years and never been charged - as I said, we'll see if a payment request is actually made for the Blackberry.

XMarks app uses it's own browser which isn't too bad, has a search function (missing in the playbook one) and a facility to open the page in the playbook's browser (and thus make a new bookmark if one wishes.)
A good time to sort out those unused ones ???

*** NB ***
Keep an eye out for OS Updates...
I've had three small downloads (1mb, 1mb, and 3mb) in the last week.
Rumour has it that the new OS 2.1 will be released this week, maybe Tues.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One of the most useful apps is AIR Browser.. lets you browse all files and folders .. IMO a 'must have'

Download from App World

AIR Browser for the BlackBerry PlayBook is a free file explorer utility that allows you to delve a bit deeper into your PlayBook's file system. With the app you can browse directories, cut, copy and paste files as well as rename and delete files/folders. The app runs super smooth and is pretty sweet for the price.
Since the PlayBook doesn't really have any type of file manager, AIR Browser lets you dive in a bit and do some cleaning as needed. Everything the app offers works well thus far, but hopefully some additional features can be added in down the road to keep it on top. AIR Browser is available as a free download in BlackBerry App World.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Ive only had mine a week but I am so impressed I just bought one for SWMBO........lot of brownie points there !

And we can use the blackberry chat to talk to each other..............her in the kitchen ,me in my study . Might be better than face to face.

Anyway Im now considering replacing my ancient nokia with a cheap blackberry..so I can link the two via "bridge" might be useful in remote places or even on the continent..just for emails.

So .................what about the blackberry 9320 for about 130.......and any views about what provider with europe in mind ?

barry:Smile::Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So .................what about the blackberry 9320 for about 130.......and any views about what provider with europe in mind ?

barry:Smile::Smile:

I have the older 2G BB 8520 Curve and was thinking of upgrading to get 3G .. but have decided to wait until next year when the all new BB10 is launched ..

You can pick up an unlocked 8520 Curve model quite cheap on ebay Link Removedslow for the web, but more than adequate for email and BB messaging

sorry, can't advise on carriers for europe..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a 9300 and it works great with the Playbook.

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
I picked my PlayBook up yesterday, all I need now is some time to "play" with it.

Must take the time to thank ScotJimland, Gromett and others who have posted informed links and advice.:thumb:

I now take my first step into the world of Tablets. As I do not possess a smartphone yet, this will be an interesting journey into the world of Android Apps.

Be prepared for some newbie queeries...........

Thanks again guys

Dai

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got one today and so far not inpressed. It locked up on the date screen, after a reset it then seemed ok, and finished the installation, I logged on to ebay went off todo the dinner come back and the screen is now completely unresponsive, turn the screen and it turns but that's it.

Reset it and it loads to the home screen, but no amount of swiping or finger tapping does anything, so its back to Pcworld tomorrow. :Angry:

Ian

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Reset it and it loads to the home screen, but no amount of swiping or finger tapping does anything, so its back to Pcworld tomorrow. :Angry: Ian
Doesn't help any with the disappointment factor - but I assure you that's not normal PB behaviour.
Like with anything, its possible to get a duff one.
Hope PCWorld is hassle free.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Well I paid the extra £32 for an automatic swop for new, but I have put my google login and blackberry login in it, and there doesn't seem any way to remove them.

It also won't connect to my PC, so I can't get in that way.

Ian

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back