Blackberry 64gb playbook only £129 (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for sharing

Thank you for all the info about this bargain Blackberry. I just wanted something small and light to keep in my bag to access the internet when I'm out having a coffee. (I don't have a smart phone and wanted a bigger screen to read more easily.) So I've ordered one too via the link to PC World given!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Had a little play yesterday evening setting it up and a little use. We are only interested in email and web info surfing which it accomplishes with ease, for such a small device perfect for our needs which is contact and info on the move.

I consider myself as a rank ameteur in all things smart phone and tablet, but with a little perseverence it was pretty straightforward to get to the basic functions.

How it compares to others either in looks or perfomance no idea, but as said for the basic functions it all works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I am finding this device an absolute godsend.

My laptop pulls almost 5amps out of the battery and I use it for work and leisure so it is on pretty much from when I get up to when I go to bed.

I don't need to do this anymore. I only turn it on now when I need to do some work. Monitoring emails, browsing and watching films/tv are all done on the tablet now. excellent.
I have the entire Series of survivors, V and the shield loaded up on it and still have space left for more. The screen is better than my laptop for watching tv/films on:thumb:

Just working out how to sideload the Sunday Times Android App at the moment so I don't need to go to the newsagent on a Sunday anymore.

The news reader in it is great. I have all my favourite tech sites as well as BBC and others loaded. Give a much better view of the news than my normal laptop software does.

Thanks again for the recommendation Scotties :thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had a good look round and can't find an android kernel for the playbook. I may be looking in the wrong places though.

You can install android market on the playbook. Google it for instructions as it is version dependent.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't see why not. [HI]My question would be why would you want to do that?[/HI]
You can sideload android apps onto it..

http://crackberry.com/how-install-android-market-and-other-applications-your-blackberry-playbook

I'd ask the same question.. ..

Seems like a lot of work as compared to downloading preconverted bars people have uploaded, there are plenty available.

On a different topic.. In-Car Charging.
The supplied mains charger is rated at 5v/2A..

I was going to charge using a 12v Trust power supply with a USB socket which is rated at 5v/2A .. yet when I tried the PB it wouldn't show that it was charging ..
I proved the charger is working by plugging in my BB phone..

I've Googled but haven't found a clear answer ... frankly I'm puzzled, any ideas ?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you bought a car that had a square petrol filler and needed leaded petrol you'd soon ask the question could I get this car converted to a standard one so I don't have to jump through hoops every time I fill up.

The answer is to buy an appropriate car in the first place isn't it? :Smile:

The Blackberry PB is what it is, it uses a different OS from Android just as iPlanks and Windows devices do. That is different from functionality of the available apps though.

If I hadn't already got an Android tablet I might have bought a PB when I looked at them the other day. It has sufficient apps to meet my needs but I already have that functionality on the device I have.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On a different topic.. In-Car Charging.
The supplied mains charger is rated at 5v/2A..

I was going to charge using a 12v Trust power supply with a USB socket which is rated at 5v/2A .. yet when I tried the PB it wouldn't show that it was charging ..
I proved the charger is working by plugging in my BB phone..

I've Googled but haven't found a clear answer ... frankly I'm puzzled, any ideas ?

I am looking into this also. I think it is the usb cable that comes with the device. Charger cables have two pins shorted from what I can make out. The data cables don't have this so the charger doesn't work. My normal usb charger does work but the high current one doesn't.

I will let you know as soon as I have found out.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I have been reading this thread since the beginning and we bought one yesterday. I thought it was relatively easy to set up and gave it to my grandsons last night to evaluate!

They thought it was great, installed some games, showed me how to do a couple of things I didnt understand - and both said they would like one for Christmas!

I had all on getting it back from them.

The only thing I cant understand is why it takes so long to warm up and start working, is this normal?

I am just about to try and link my wifi booster to the blackberry to see if it will work plug and play.

Overall I am very pleased indeed and would like to thank everyone for their information and comments.

Ginny

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I am just about to try and link my wifi booster to the blackberry to see if it will work plug and play.

Hello Ginny

Be very interested in hearing how you get on and which wifi booster you are using.

Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The only thing I cant understand is why it takes so long to warm up and start working, is this normal?

Ginny

Yes, quite normal if you turn it off and reboot ... BB phones also take a long time ...

but there is no need to turn it off , when not in use put it to standby. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My netbook died on me a week or two ago in France so to avoid being totally cut off I bought 99euro tablet from leclerke (81 gbp). Seems ok once i converted it from french.
It has usb port micro sd camera microphone etc and seems to be ok for web browsing and emails. Could have saved 20quid online but no address for delivery till I get home. I am using it now, hence no pound or euro sign (cant find them anyway) :roflmto:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, quite normal if you turn it off and reboot ... BB phones also take a long time ...

but there is no need to turn it off , when not in use put it to standby. :thumb:

Thanks for the info, I didnt realise I could leave it on standby.

Do you know how to make a favourite? I want to have Motorhomefun and a couple of other sites on but dont know how??

Ginny

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Make a favorite in the internet browser by clicking the star to the right of where you type a web address in. You can then choose to have it produce and icon on the desktop or create a favorite.

The other star shows you the favorites you made.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Hello Ginny

Be very interested in hearing how you get on and which wifi booster you are using.

Thanks

I realised that I need a female USB to the Blackberry connector before I can try it. I have found one on ebay so will let you know when I have received the connector.

We have an Alfa booster.

I have just remembered that the booster draws power from my computer when I use it normally - the question is will it be able to draw power from the Blackberry???

Another question for Scotjimlad!!

Ginny

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for the info, I didnt realise I could leave it on standby.

Do you know how to make a favourite? I want to have Motorhomefun and a couple of other sites on but dont know how??

Ginny

Hi

while viewing the Fun page, make it a favourite by swiping the top bezel , 'tap' the 'star' with the plus sign,.. you will get the option to save it to your bookmarks and or the home page.

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Your initial quote was....

I was responding to that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with QNX. It operates a load of real time machinery including cars.

Your problem is not with QNX it is with Blackberry PlayBook OS.
In the same way that android is based on the Linux Kernel, The blackberry is based on the QNX kernel but that is not the same thing.

If your argument is that there are no Apps for the Playbook I can understand your concern. That is why I made my point about "Does it do what you want it to do". For me it is emails, browsing and watching videos. It does this out of the box. I don't need Apps.

I would just add though that the Blackberry community is still strong contrary to the tech presses negativity. Also the Playbook has been able to run most if not all android apps since Version 2.0 (February this year).

Just in case you hadn't realised. Since June or so businesscat2000 also allows you to run IOS apps :Tongue1:

Because the playbook is of such high quality and so cheap there are literally 1,000's of developers out there now hacking away at it.

I am not saying it is ever going to be mass market like Android is but to rule it out just because it isn't apple or android seem a bit closed minded to me...

I don't care what OS it has. I LOVE my new Blackberry!!!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Really happy with the battery life. I am getting in excess of 10 hours watching videos.

I currently have The Shield and a few other tv programs loaded onto it.
55 hours of tv using 48GB of disk space.

Should keep me going for a while :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For those who want to watch 'live' UK TV. this is the best I've found

Link Removed.. gives you all the Freeview channels.

*No App required*... just bookmark on your home page

Requires registration..

Last edited:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Excellent Jim :Smile: Don't suppose you have found some way of loading photos onto the playbook when you are away from home ? :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Excellent Jim :Smile: Don't suppose you have found some way of loading photos onto the playbook when you are away from home ? :Smile:

I'm afraid not .. :Sad:

it's rumoured on CrackBerry that the next software update will make the usb a host... apparently the hardware is in place, just needs the drivers... not holding my breath ..

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Would feel a lot happier if I could download an anti virus programme. Anyone got a link for a good free one? I use avg on my android tablet. Thanks :Smile:

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Would feel a lot happier if I could download an anti virus programme. Anyone got a link for a good free one? I use avg on my android tablet. Thanks :Smile:

I've not seen one, but then again I don't believe one is (yet) necessary - the OS hasn't the market penetration, nor the number of users to make the effort of virus creation worthwhile.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

AVG here..

Link Removed

but as its a converted Android app you need to load it using DDPB loader..

Instructions and download here ..
http://crackberry.com/ddpb-installer-utility-blackberry-playbook-updated-v109

Plenty more free converted Android apps here http://goodereader.com/apps/category/playbook/.. these all need the DDPB loader..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back