Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Denia for the time being
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
9 months
Not a nice subject but perhaps someone has had a similar problem.
I use an 18 gallon Tote to collect waste from the tanks and haul it to the disposal point.
Grey water obviously draines in to the Tote without any problems but black waste very often clogs up against the lip where the holding tank and exit pipe join.
I have tried using the expensive tiolet tissue that is supposed to dilute or disolve with the water and blue chemical but in my experience it doesn't make much difference.
I have on several occasion had to resort to raking the debris clear with a home made thingy me bob:ROFLMAO:
I have tried flushing with larger amounts of water but the procedure is hit and miss.
Once we get to a site with toilet blocks everything will be fine but we have been stuck on a cl site for some time now and I have no option other than a Tote.
I have inspected the holding tank on the Kountrylite and there is a definate lip at the junction of pipe and holding tank that causes the blockage.

Is there any other type of loo roll on the market that disolves better or am I just using too much:Blush:
Nice suggestions only chaps

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Loo rolls - always Fiamma - come in a 6 pack and far better than thetford and cheaper. Never use chemicals - total waste of money - we do not suffer with a lip but if we are just dumping as you on a CL then we do get a 'pyramid build up' under the base of the drop pipe and then us a Black Tank swizzel stick - a length of pipe with a hard end with little holes that pressure washes the pyramid out of the pipe . but you do need to be on good pressure to do that. One other trick used is to empty a load of ice cubes down the loo just as you drive off and that will break up any build ups.

OP
OP
rex

rex

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Denia for the time being
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
9 months
black wate

Cheers for that,
We had heard of the ice cube trick but solid build up has never been the problem as I empty every 5 days or so.
Main problem is the build op of undisolved tissue.
Will try and find the other brand you suggested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the secret is never quite empty the tank. never use chemicals, vinegar can help. never use bleach. you can get a proper digester stuff that is used in septic tanks. you need to build up bacteria in the tank. good bacteria. most scented type tissue etc will kill the bacteria. i worked for awhile in the sewage industry on tankers .i have moved millions of litres of waste. visit a good plumbers merchant or some where like that. france n spain its easier as they tend to have more septic and cess pits.once you get the right bacteria dont wash it out .it will start eating away at the waste quickly. you will find its best not to keep emptying the tank till it snearly full ,but leave some in ,it needs to stay living. hope that helps . have a good one(sh..)cheers alan.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Why is it called BLACK waste?

Often wondered about that, maybe it's a Guinness thing.:Blush:

OP
OP
rex

rex

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Denia for the time being
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
9 months
Cheers,
So you would suggest not using the common blue chemical and look for a digester solution.
I presume that will not cause problems with tank seals etc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I go along with what Alan advises .. don't use any chemicals and buy the cheapest economy toilet roll, the kind that dissolves in your hand as you use it :Eeek: :roflmto:

Never empty the tank until it's at least 3/4 full , it needs a good wooooshh to get rid of the crap ... so using a tote is a bit risky .. as I know only too well .. :Doh:

Also use plenty of flushing water, this will help prevent the infamous pyramid of crap building up

More help and tips here .. book mark this url, there is a lot of really useful stuff on all things RV .. fittingly they are called the 'poop' sheets .. :roflmto:

Macerators and Other Sewage Stuff by phred

Index

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

jim

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When using the toilet for solids we always start with plenty of water in the bowl, this helps for a clean flush and dispersal when hitting the waste tank. As we generally don't stop on one site for too many days and empty on arrival not leaving, we don't seem to get a build up.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
do not use the blue or the green. it causes many problems even in sewage works .we have loads of problems in cornwall . upto 20 times the population in summer most in caravans n tents . best to have a drive around to help stir it up. do have a look in a builders merchant for the cesspit stuff .we have been here before but in farming comunities they chuck the rotting lambs etc in their cesspits to give bacteria. you could try a small child ,but dont tell anyone. even cassette toilets should not be using chemicals if you ask me. do a test find a quiet place put some waste in a place out the way one with chemicals one without. bet the one with out disapears first. it gets eaten by things. very good for the enviroment. the chemical one stays for ages. not good for enviroment. its a real science working with waste very interesting. well i can talk crap all day !no taking the -iss. cheers alan.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Over here we use a tablets from a supermarket for our cesspit and the camper 7 euros last one month,

Deleted User
Why put the paper down the toilet, many places in europe ask you not to do this but place in the bin because of poor plumbing. Not as bad as it seems , probably better than the alternative of cleaning solid buildup.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never had a problem with any bog roll.

ok, we have a thetford cassette but use normal household roll.

load the cassette before we set off with the recommended amount of 'blue' and water....empty after maybe three or four days and nothing but thickish slurry comes out.

no big 'lumps' and no paper.

just dont use Izal medicated........that stuff could survive a nuclear explosion.:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why put the paper down the toilet, many places in europe ask you not to do this but place in the bin because of poor plumbing. Not as bad as it seems , probably better than the alternative of cleaning solid buildup.

and the strange thing is, the bin doesnt stink !!!!!

OP
OP
rex

rex

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Denia for the time being
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
9 months
Crap talk

Many thanks for the suggestions
I will give some of them a try.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, the loo paper goes in the doggie poo bags, then tie them up. Cant afford to get anything clogged down there!!

As previously said, some countries dont want loo paper thrown down the loo as it clogs the pipes.
Have also read about using biological washing liquid (for clothes) or conditioner (again, for clothes) but dont know how goos this will be.

Not a nice subjuect, but a very necessary one :ROFLMAO:

S.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi s. best keep that for the grey waste. stops it smellingin there but i wouldnt use it in the black. visit your local sewage works speak to the workers there its all quite interesting. another place thats interesting is your local freshwater works if you can get a visit round one of them its a usefull trip to make. cheers alan.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Aaagh, the joys of black waste and, a Winnebago!

Loo roll, we use the double velvet stuff, awful ads with the baby in a suite, soft soft soft:Angry:

Doesn't dissolve in the hand but does very quickly in the tank, never any clogging moments, and as repeatly said above no chemicals, but we are in an RV.

Winne's, they have really got the tank stuff right (on ours for sure). Dumping is so simple, no lips etc, now our first, a '77 Brougham Coach (Dodge chassis) was another matter, numerous clogs due to poor design and yes a horrendious lip on the black side. There was no way to deal with it, what about yours?

As an added, we have got one of those external 3" valves that I fit on the outlet before the hose, logic is opening and closing the black valve risks damage to the seal and getting, err, foriegn matter stuck in the valve. Operation is simple, with external open and pipe etc connected, open black and leave open controlling with external until dump completed, far easier to clean/repair/replace the external than the onboard. As an aside, the complete routine on Winne, and towards the end with Dodge which helped, once the blacks empty, I close the external and open the grey to backflush the black, then shut grey and reopen external and this seems to work a treat, no cloggs, everything clean including external valve once finished, don't know whether that would help you but......?

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Black waste!

Hi.We have a Kountrylite 26RL. Not had much difficulty emptying black waste although I often take it home and dump into a manhole close by. Since we've usually driven an hour or so its well agitated. We use normal 2 ply soft tissue toilet paper. Usually flush generously and only use chemical about half the time.

Sometimes I cheat on the emptying by back flushing with the grey water valve open since I drain using a length of gutter I can see when I'm emptying clear.

I do have a problem in that the tank sensor always shows full. I tried the ice cube trick having been told that should clean it - didn't work but no problem of pyramid piles!

Why black waste. In a previous life I managed sewage works. A healthy sewage sludge is black. :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We use Tesco cheapest blue & white stripe loo roll.
A tip I got from my sister in US, put washing-up water down loo if you need more liquid.(helps to clear "brown mound")
If you have "solids" stuck in black tank ---chuck in a couple of washing machine tablets and enough water to slosh about before your next trip.
We have had some problems in the past, but with these methods, seem to be well sorted now:thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Halve the problem and halve the cost..:thumb:

Use both sides.. :Eeek:

sorry I`ll get me coat.. :winky:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just a thought.... did you ever think about using "dry toilets". You don't need much really to change a normal toilet into a dry one. Would solve many prob: Doesn't smell at all (did use them quite a few times in germany and that's quite amazing!); shavings and sawdust are, i would think, lighter than litres of water; you can empty in any field....as a composter... i'm sure there are plenty of other good points in using them!

It seems taboo to many people but i would say in a van it would be a good option.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Why use chemical at all?

why use any at all ?

jim

We go to a couple of events each year where we can be stuck in one spot in August for as long as 10 days. On the assumption that we may get some warm weather I start off with some blue with the idea that that will be the dominant smell. As I'm unable to move to an elsan point I use my old caravan wastemaster, from memory 45 litres(?) (usually several trips at a time :Eeek:). For weekends, you're right I don't bother! :RollEyes:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I go along with what Alan advises .. don't use any chemicals and buy the cheapest economy toilet roll, the kind that dissolves in your hand as you use it :Eeek: :roflmto:

Never empty the tank until it's at least 3/4 full , it needs a good wooooshh to get rid of the crap ... so using a tote is a bit risky .. as I know only too well .. :Doh:

Also use plenty of flushing water, this will help prevent the infamous pyramid of crap building up

More help and tips here .. book mark this url, there is a lot of really useful stuff on all things RV .. fittingly they are called the 'poop' sheets .. :roflmto:

Macerators and Other Sewage Stuff by phred

Index

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

jim

I also find that it helps if you empty immediately after the van has been moved a few miles, the movement helps to mix it all up. But I have only got a cassette and not a big tank,

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back