Black Waste (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Your Wild camping Oh Please!, what do you need a cassette for when you've got trees, :xdoh: they all like a bit of fercalizer:xThumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I carry a second cassette but only needed it once so far, but this year I have found quite a few portaloos beside road works/ lay-bys and building sites, obviously I would only use if easily accessible and with permission if people were around:D I use no chemical so no problem with cesspit,
My cassette fits into a rucksack so you could easily walk into any public WCs if needed without rousing suspicions by the anti camping brigade,
I also carry a radar key in case they are locked but making sure it's left cleaner than when I arrived,

Eh???

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
When wild camping we use a a small garden spray pump to wash the toilet down rather than using the flush -saves a bit on water too. Makes emptying the cassette a little harder but not that difficult. Give it a try -I never fancied having a second cassette sloshing around in my van(y)

Now that is a good idea thank you:xThumb:

Mmm if I get a powerful enough one I might be able to get rid of loo paper as well:giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Here ----- Broken Link Removed
only available to paid up members, plus the way it asks you to download the trial looks extremely dodgy and is a surefire way to infect a pc with a virus

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm interested to hear more about @TUCANO's experience of using c and cc sites facilities for a small fee. I tried this tactic with the caravan club - no deal :(
I'd be more than happy to part with say a fiver to dispose of my black waste and top up on fresh water and you'd think caravan club would be grateful for the extra revenue but apparently not!
We've adapted our toilet habits and can last for longer now than when we first started but fresh water is something we still need to work on.
Anyone have any ideas on how to source this when wild camping?
@The Happy Couple If you join Wildcamping .co.uk you can download Poi'sfor sat nav with stand pipe locations

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I carry a second cassette but only needed it once so far, but this year I have found quite a few portaloos beside road works/ lay-bys and building sites, obviously I would only use if easily accessible and with permission if people were around:D I use no chemical so no problem with cesspit,
My cassette fits into a rucksack so you could easily walk into any public WCs if needed without rousing suspicions by the anti camping brigade,
I also carry a radar key in case they are locked but making sure it's left cleaner than when I arrived,
A radar key is what is used to access locked disabled toilets, it's only meant to be in the possession of those who need one, ie disabled, but not everyone who has one was 'issued' with it officially.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm interested to hear more about @TUCANO's experience of using c and cc sites facilities for a small fee. I tried this tactic with the caravan club - no deal :(
I'd be more than happy to part with say a fiver to dispose of my black waste and top up on fresh water and you'd think caravan club would be grateful for the extra revenue but apparently not!
We've adapted our toilet habits and can last for longer now than when we first started but fresh water is something we still need to work on.
Most garages have an outside tap. I've used them occasionally & never been refused. I carry around 140 litres so it lasts about 5 days without any attempt at economic usage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're visiting attractions, such as English Heritage/National Trust etc ask if you can get some water there, we've never been refused - just don't abuse it by filling up a massive tank!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
dont be tempted to just pee behind a bush and only use the cassette for solids all the time. you will need a tap to break down the build up of poo and flush it out. at least the urine content will keep any solids floating.

emptying a cassette containing predominantly solids is not a pleasant job. not that it is at other times, just far worse

if you plan being off grid for more than a couple of days, buy a second cassette

Nice........Now where is my lapsed CC membership:D

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
public toilets garages nearly every garage has a tap never ben refused yet.
I always top up when getting diesel cemetery's usually have a tap
and most churches discretion and respect is the answer at all
times
bill

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Go to McDonald's with cassette in rucksack (ensure no trail !) If challenged, say you were going to buy a burger, known as a McShit with lies!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Public Toilet POIs.. find under 'Community'

plus many many more...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs
If anyone does use public toilets to empty black waste please do so discreetly and ensure that any spillage/splashing is cleaned up. A number of organisations have cited problems caused by motorhomers emptying "sanitary tanks" in public toilets as a reason not to allow motorhome parking in their car parks.

Deleted User
Is carrying a Radar key just the same as the able-bodied parking in a disabled bay?

Providing you don't "park" there for an hour and leave the loo clean, I can't see an issue. You aren't denying any disabled people access (as you would if you were parking your car for a long time) as a quick cassette empty takes no more than a few seconds.

Didn't realise that anyone can buy them for a cpl of quid

http://www.easylocks.co.uk/radar-disabled-key-with-braile?gclid=CJbY9eqtyskCFUiv2wodsBsNMw

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Providing you don't "park" there for an hour and leave the loo clean, I can't see an issue. You aren't denying any disabled people access (as you would if you were parking your car for a long time) as a quick cassette empty takes no more than a few seconds.

Didn't realise that anyone can buy them for a cpl of quid

http://www.easylocks.co.uk/radar-disabled-key-with-braile?gclid=CJbY9eqtyskCFUiv2wodsBsNMw

Motorhomers using facilities they are not entitled to.

That tends to go down well with the general populace :)

Deleted User
I don't think the general populace gives a flying fig to be honest.

You'll always get someone whinging (just as you'll always get some people leaving a mess using the facilities) but the general Joe Bloggs out there won't even notice/care.

If the council or whoever has an issue maybe they should provide a hatch at the side of the loo block, to enable people to empty their waste directly into the sewer (just like they do in F.................. well you know!)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I suspect that the Royal Association for Disability Rights (Radar) put a lot of effort into getting toilet access for disabled people.

Should they object to motorhomers taking adantage of their work?

Deleted User
I suspect that the Royal Association for Disability Rights (Radar) put a lot of effort into getting toilet access for disabled people.

Should they object to motorhomers taking adantage of their work?

Dunno - I dont suppose its really an issue for em (there are hardly queues of motorhomes blocking access to every RADAR loo in the country)

As a registered charity, maybe they should investigate the possibility of receiving donations from the CC, C&CC, MCC, etc etc etc in return for permission to dump in their loos.

Might make em a few bob

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Surely as far as public toilets are concerned you are doing everyone a favour by despositing in bulk rather than in instalments using more water in more flushes and hand washes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One problem with some public toilets (especially more remote ones) is that they are not be designed to deal with "bulk supplies" and/or chemicals. It was one of the factors which caused protests at West Sands, St Andrews a couple of years ago.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
One problem with some public toilets (especially more remote ones) is that they are not be designed to deal with "bulk supplies" and/or chemicals. It was one of the factors which caused protests at West Sands, St Andrews a couple of years ago.
don't use chemicals we have a trog
bill

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We carry a spare cassette but never had to use it yet. A very good hint I found on the forum and now do all the time is that when you have a pee just spray the bowl with diluted thetford pink using a spray bottle, empty shower spray works well. Anything more serious needs flushing of course. We use bio liquid and don't add water after emptying (never seen the point of this, it just fills up the tank faster, there will be liquid in there soon enough)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back