Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
I suppose this is a silly question with an obvious answer, but I thought I would ask anyway 😀

When you get home and there is still waste in the toilet cassette, is it simply a case of emptying down your toilet in the house?

Maybe there is some reason that I don’t know of not to; hence the question.

Phil

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
At home i use an outside toilet which has a shower in it so easy to wash out. i used to lift the septic tank lid but got fed up wih having to clean leaves & earth off it before I could open it.Both places I stay in the UK have manholes with easy access.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Outside the neighbours' gate as a quid pro quo for their failure to clean up after their dog? :unsure:

Steve
Don’t you mean quid poo quo………?
(I’ll get me coat…..:imoutahere:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Downstairs loo... Which is a very small room with white tiles on the floor and walls. It's easy to see the blue dots that have escaped. :sick:

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
In Wales I would empty our chemical free black waste in one corner of a field in a hedge. 60 gallons at a time 5 or 6 times a year. My mother in law did not know this, and was always telling me that she'd found the biggest, juiciest blackberries ever in that corner and was always surpised that we let her have all of them.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have a sewerage manhole round the back of the house which is lifted and used to empty the cassette into. Close by there is a tap with a garden hose connected which is used to rinse it.
That's what we do too - said hose is also run into said sewer too. just to make sure in case nobody in the 4 houses before us flushes their loo anytime soon.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Don’t you mean quid poo quo………?
(I’ll get me coat…..:imoutahere:)
I s'pose that one's worth a quid ... [to coin a phrase ....]. Get my coat while you're there,will ya? :LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a fully-tiled toilet next to the basement garage which I use. No accidents to date, but easily cleaned if it happened.

I think the best solution described on this thread so fat is a roddng point into the sewage pipe, as long as it is at 45 degrees to the horizontal. With this one can insert the cassette discharge tube right into the pipe so no chance of spillage and no 'splash-back'. There is similar on a French Aire we use and very easy.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Thanks everyone; some ideas I would never have thought. I do have various manhole covers around the house, so I think I will open these up and see which ones have some activity when flushing the toilet. If that works, then I will dump down there. If not then it is into the downstairs loo.

just need the van to arrive so I can create some waste to get rid of 🤪

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Thanks everyone; some ideas I would never have thought. I do have various manhole covers around the house, so I think I will open these up and see which ones have some activity when flushing the toilet. If that works, then I will dump down there. If not then it is into the downstairs loo.

just need the van to arrive so I can create some waste to get rid of 🤪

When you find the correct inspection chamber (manhole) drill a couple of holes in the lid and attach a rope handle. It makes things a lot easier for access

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Down stairs loo for the black.
Flower bed for the grey via a length of 63mm down pipe and an elbow, perfect size for the grey outlet.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used to lift a manhole but after having to replace a sewer pipe fitted a dump point.

IMG20210908192525_copy_768x985.jpg

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I give the keys to a member of staff, they dump the tanks, refill the gas and water tanks, wash it and park it in the car park

Isn't that what everyone does?;)
Well, some of us have to leave the task to the Butler or the Valet, but, in principle, yes, it is ... :LOL: After sleeping in Brunhilde with the drop down bed in the raised position, he feels that having to empty the Black Waste in return for the comfort of his leaky attic bedroom is a welcome change ...

Steve

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
All the houses I've lived in have had at least one accessible manhole cover outside.
They provide a much bigger 'target' than if aiming into a rodding point or internal loo and less harm is done if there's a mishap.
I've carried the 'T'handles with me in case I'm caught short on a trip away, but never needed them.
Rain sewers have round covers, sewers are rectangular, BTW.
When emptying cassettes, make sure that the stopper is placed well-away from the hole: They are not the kind of place you want to go hunting down!

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
All the houses I've lived in have had at least one accessible manhole cover outside.
They provide a much bigger 'target' than if aiming into a rodding point or internal loo and less harm is done if there's a mishap.
I've carried the 'T'handles with me in case I'm caught short on a trip away, but never needed them.
Rain sewers have round covers, sewers are rectangular, BTW.
When emptying cassettes, make sure that the stopper is placed well-away from the hole: They are not the kind of place you want to go hunting down!
This isn't correct, I've been in the drainage business for more years than I care to remember. The shape of the cover does not distinguish if the sewer is foul or surface water.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
OK.
Perhaps the message should have been: "Don't lift a round manhole, because that won't be over a sewer."
I believe that rain drains (surface water) are topped with round covers because if lifted by storm water, they cannot fall inside.
All the foul drains that I've used have had rectangular covers, but I'd not be surprised to learn there are exceptions.

My apologies for misleading anyone. I was informed of the round manhole description many years ago by a trusted companion. Ever since, I've not discovered one that contradicted what I'd been told. But, then, manholes are not something I've spent much time studying...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
OK.
The message should be: "Don't lift a round manhole, because that won't be over a sewer."
I believe that rain drains (surface water) are topped with round covers because if lifted by storm water, they cannot fall inside.
All the foul drains that I've used have had rectangular covers, but I'd not be surprised to learn there are exceptions.
Round covers can very often be over foul sewers, the message should be, if you don't know what kind of sewer it is once you've lifted the cover don't pour your shite down it.

What would be under this Cloverleaf? The give away is it's already been inspected and spray painted.

IMG_2178.JPG

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Round manholes on foul drains up here.

Surface water should not be directed into foul system as in dry spells the trap (IF there is one) will dry out. To check for a foul system manhole, just lift the lid and flush the loo, if you see it in the manhole, eureka.

I welded a handle on our manhole lid to make lifting easy, but it is a lightweight pressed steel type.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Round covers can very often be over foul sewers, the message should be, if you don't know what kind of sewer it is once you've lifted the cover don't pour your shite down it.

What would be under this Cloverleaf? The give away is it's already been inspected and spray painted.

View attachment 534962
No idea. Perhaps you'll tell?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back