Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
I suppose this is a silly question with an obvious answer, but I thought I would ask anyway 😀

When you get home and there is still waste in the toilet cassette, is it simply a case of emptying down your toilet in the house?

Maybe there is some reason that I don’t know of not to; hence the question.

Phil

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
For a long time I did just that. Now, as the rain gutter from our conservatory runs into the sewer, I have added a tee, elbow and hopper to the down pipe and dump it there. The down pipe has its its own u-bend so once flushed with a hose is clean. I have another tap and hose at the front of the house that I use to top up the drinking water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I open the manhole to the sewer outlet from our domestic toilet, as it is located in our drive area and secluded and easy to do, but I have occasionally used the “ de-lux” method and emptied the half full cassette in the downstairs loo ( we live in a bungalow), but emptied it very carefully!
Still all goes to the same processing plant.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
For a long time I did just that. Now, as the rain gutter from our conservatory runs into the sewer, I have added a tee, elbow and hopper to the down pipe and dump it there. The down pipe has its its own u-bend so once flushed with a hose is clean. I have another tap and hose at the front of the house that I use to top up the drinking water.
Having Worked in drainage for many years you may illegally be putting foul water into a storm system.
Rain Water should go into a storm system and foul into a foul system.
You may by chance have a very old combined system.
If it’s the first all your lovely waste may end up in a local watercourse.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Are you sure it runs into the right sewer system? Some rainwater is diverted into a rain water sewer in a two pipe system (1 rain and 1 waste drain)

Sounds like a great idea if it's all as you say. We are on a septic tank so we are 'lucky' to be able to empty quite easily, though I do intend putting a proper waste point in at some stage, similar to what you have.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I lift the sewer manhole cover and pour away.

Grey, I empty into the hedgerow, as if I pour the grey down the manhole, the smell makes it's way back and stinks out the house for hours, doesn't it Nick. :sick::giggle:
Not a clue what your on about:pinocchio::sick:
But yes definitely better in the hedgerow

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
No issue to either use the toilet at home or to lift a manhole cover, if you are on mains sewer drainage, making sure you are using a foul drain if you have a separate foul and surface water drainage system.

If you are not on mains drainage be careful. Sceptic Tanks and packaged treatment plants may not be able to cope with even the smallest amounts of the "blue" type chemicals as those try to sterilise your waste rather than aid the bacterial treatment of the small off grid drainage. In those instances really make sure you are using green chemicals, perhaps the bio laundry liquid trick or better still nothing (if you have a SOG)

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Big empty on site (when available) Bio tab into cassette bit of water in. Drive home swills any leftovers around.
That's then launched down the downstairs throne.
Have one emptied a half load down the loo
Sad Jim Carrey GIF

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It varies for me, either downstairs loo or if I can access it, the manhole on the drive. I intend at some point to add a spur off the main drain with an upstand and screw on cap. Helpful as a rodding point or for emptying the loo.

I used to use another rodding point but the that side of the drive got altered and raised as a ramp, so access is now at 90 degrees and no longer suitable

edit, same as Brian posted above

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I too have a 45° rodding eye on the stack pipe outside the bathroom which we use. On the subject of sewers and storm drains/soakaways half our rainwater goes in the sewer which we have no way of altering while the rest from the extension we built goes to a soakaway.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Having Worked in drainage for many years you may illegally be putting foul water into a storm system.
Rain Water should go into a storm system and foul into a foul system.
You may by chance have a very old combined system.
If it’s the first all your lovely waste may end up in a local watercourse.
The rainwater downpipe from the house definitely goes into the collector manhole for the sewage. It is a 1930s house, the rain water from the extension we had built twenty years ago goes into an underground gravel soakaway.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Last edited:
Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The loo. (We only have one! And we are a bungalow). Usually gets a better clean out as well than it does on a site. This van has a Dometic loo, and OH says it’s more difficult to clean on site than Thetford loo on previous van. So I get job at home!!

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In Wales I would empty our chemical free black waste in one corner of a field in a hedge. 60 gallons at a time 5 or 6 times a year. My mother in law did not know this, and was always telling me that she'd found the biggest, juiciest blackberries ever in that corner and was always surpised that we let her have all of them.

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
For years I lifted the manhole cover in the yard ( after checking that this is where the toilet waste went when flushed)

One day, someone was using the kitchen sink and I realised that the drain under the kitchen window went into the same sewer system.

Now I only have to lift the cover off the drain instead of the manhole. All flushed down using the garden hose 👍

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Our septic tank has a very handy Elsan sized vent pipe sticking out of the top with a removable vent cap - no chemicals so a real feast for the bacteria. We even have a dedicated water tap next to the (underground) tank.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back