Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all

On our latest MH we have a black tank for toilet waste only, it holds about 100 litres and we have so far used it without any chemical. The only real issue is it stinks when discharging, I do not want to offend other site users, do you think I could or even should be adding blue or green chemical??

David

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Black tanks are not meant to have any chemicals in them. They work on the same principal as a sceptic tank. You will of course be discharging it down a foul sewer or similar so the smell will be no different than that emitting from there.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We had a marine toilet tank on our last motorhome, and actually got it on the new one too (just bought)
We stopped using chemical but after a while ended up with a nasty smell in the van, and flies coming out of the toilet. :Eeek
Guess it hadn't emptied fully although I always tried to flush it through every time.
We will be using chemical again to prevent this as did not have this issue before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
One Chem Holding Waste Tank Cleaner

One bottle formula! Concentrated formaldehyde free 14 day formula to service holding tanks in boats, barges, motorhomes, RVs and marine vessels. One 25ml dose per 100L tank capacity. • Environmentally friendly, biodegradable, pH neutral formula • Long-lasting 2 week cycle • Built-in water softener, effective in hard water areas • Sanitises and deodorises • Safe and easy to use Directions for use (per 100 litre of tank capacity) Charge tank with sufficient water to cover any initial solid deposits. Remove cap and carefully squeeze container to fill measurement chamber to 25ml line. Add 25ml per 100L tank capacity. Replace cap securely. Always empty tanks at designated disposal points. Safety recommendations Risk of serious damage to eyes. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Keep out of the reach of children. Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs. If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label. Store between 0ºc and 30ºc.
One-Chem™ Holding Tank & Grey Water (1ltr)
Instructions for use
(per 100 Litre tank capacity)​
• Charge tank with sufficient water to cover any initial solid deposits.​
• Remove cap and carefully squeeze container to fill measurement chamber to 25ml line.​
• Add 25ml per 100L tank capacity.​
• Replace cap securely.​
ALWAYS EMPTY TANKS AT DESIGNATED DISPOSAL POINTS​
Safety recommendations
• Risk of serious damage to eyes.​
• In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.​
• Keep out of the reach of children.​
• Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs.​
• If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label.​
• Store between 0ºc and 30ºc.​
IRRITANT

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sorted

Thanks for that, I was torn between presuming I shouldn't use chemicals and desire not to offend, even when going straight to drain, the pong was not nice. Maybe a modified diet might be called for!! We also had a small issue driving home last from a site without easy facilities, toilet a bit full, slopping back into the bowl with accompanying odour en route home. Not again in future now we hope.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There should be nothing sloping back into the bowl, or odours in the van. Your paddle seal must need changing. Although I only have a 100 litre black tank on the present motorhome, I had a 500 litre tank on my Tiffin and no problems with anything coming past the seal. Also check the vent pipe is not blocked with debris as this can cause odours coming back into the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We tried without blue but the stink:Eeek:

When the flap was open to do what one must do , made us gag-- putting us off our performance:cry:

Then having to empty the cassette on sites into a big swirling ,viewing arena elsan point , the smell would make campers run for cover holding their noses.

Nearby to my work, is a simple 4" breather 90 degree tube popping out of a septic tank, we can just put the Thetford spout down there with no smell or sight of the contents:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lets face it...$hit stinks !

problem using chemicals is you will most likely need to empty into an elsan point....which will invariably be well above ground level and $hit wont flow uphill, gravity sees to that....as you shouldnt put chemical treated waste into a foul sewer.

chemicals kill natural bacteria which is needed to break down solid waste.....and foul sewers are full of it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back