Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just looked at the side of my Motorhome and its covered in black streaks ,most coming from gutter type beading.Where do the buggers come from?
About a month ago I spent a weekend polishing my van with brasso and was advised on here to seal it with a good wax polish.Thankfully I took this advice so they wipe off easily,I took the van out for the day last weekend and washed it after so they've appeared over the period of a week.
I think it may have something to do with a smokey chimney on the bungalow next door....

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The beading is a polymer made with carbon black that leaches out just like rubber does

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No smoky chimneys here but we still get black streaks :Smile: I think it is just general muck getting stuck on gutters &c and then being washed down unevenly.

We've used Onedrywash to clean our vans for several years. That leaves a wax type coating so whilst we still get streaks they tend to be easy to clean off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its just dust that washes off from the roof.
The water and dirt mixture runs down the side, meets an obstruction (window frame etc) slows up and collects more dirty slop then goes horizontal and carries on running slowly down the side leaving a dirty line of sediment. It dries out leaving black streaks, the sun, wind etc bakes it good and hard. Next time it rains same thing happens again ad infinitum.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
You polished your van with Brasso??!! What's it made of?
I swear by Muc-Off - a gentle degreaser much used by cyclists. Diluted, it cleans without abrading, used neat it gets rid of flies, black marks and all other nasties.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Well ericonabike well kept secret Is brasso,when I bought my van paintwork was flat lost all polish and lacquered effect loads of road grime.Caravan cleaner etc did nothing and was quoted nearly £600 to return the sparkle to my van,called a full restoration!
Anyway members of this site told me the properties of brasso,it is after all a metal polish and a lot less abrasive than t cut and the like.That sorted the paint work out,next to the stained locker surrounds and dirty plastics.tried a few things for this but to no avail then a FUNSTER recommended toothpaste! Now Eric I'm not pulling your pisser but it worked !
So for the price of 5 tins of brasso a tube of toothpaste and a weekend of my time I've took years off my van,and it truly is a great transformation,all for a tenner subs,and the time spent taking advice from people who share the same passion which is motor homing .
Not bad!
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

P

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
You live and learn! Touch wood, finish on mine is still good enough to be Muc Off'd, but I'll remember this one for future reference!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back