Black streaks again (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Ive cleaned my motorhome three weeks ago it’s been polished waxed and I’m v careful in the products i use, but today went to give it the once over before we hit a festival and there is black streaks, but it’s down the side and back.
The sides are raised so it’s not as if water runs down from the roof, I can understand the back as that’s where most of the water is channelled but I’m not so sure what’s causing the streaks.
Do merelo and Concorde owners also get the same issue? Or is it a better grade material so this doesn’t happen ?
Mark

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think you will find that nearly everyone gets the dreaded black streaks down the sides of their vans.
It’s a combination of dirty rain, black rubber, aluminium frames and lord knows what else!
Keep the van in a plastic bag, then you’ll get condensation!!!:D

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After 20 years of frustration trying to remove the dreaded black streaks i came accross this gentle chemical.
I've now used it for over 12 years and it's great. They always return but a gentle wipe with this and they are removed.
I always add a small amount to the wash bucket as well.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 20190725_094203.jpg
    20190725_094203.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 231

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Morelo have channels from the roof which direct water flows to the corners. Having said that streaking is an issue its just confined to unnoticeable places, except ofcourse window frames where it can happen as the sealants are washed. I have found that Colinite wax makes its removal a simple wipe over if done regularly, once its a series of streaks and allowed to bake on then that's a different story, but I have rarely let this happen.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Don't think you can ever stop the black streaks, most of it is atmospherics..dirty rain etc. The best product I have used is Auto Glym motorhome cleaner. This gets the streaks off very well.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Morelo have channels from the roof which direct water flows to the corners. Having said that streaking is an issue its just confined to unnoticeable places, except ofcourse window frames where it can happen as the sealants are washed. I have found that Colinite wax makes its removal a simple wipe over if done regularly, once its a series of streaks and allowed to bake on then that's a different story, but I have rarely let this happen.
I’ve pretty much done the whole van now with the collinite, so looks like I need to get down to the van more, wasn’t sure if the higher end vehicles had worked out how to prevent it with the materials they construct from,
Cheers
Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I get no black streaks on my van .
I fitted Fiamma self adhesive rainstop gutter on sides and back and always wash down with Mothers wash wax.

Hercs74

Free Member
Aug 21, 2019
Essex.
Funster No
MH
Researching
Exp
Hi I’m a Detailer by trade. Mainly cars. The black streaking is common and obviously noticeable on white cars. It is due to water ingress in areas that hold water and you can not get too with a drying towel. I use a high powered pet hair dryer and go around a car blowing out excess water hidden between panels, trim joins etc. Never had problems since. Not sure if it’s feasible solution for a MH. Maybe when I get ours I’ll try it.. But just thought I’d throw it out there as it may help....

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Get a Morelo Palace rain collected on roof diverted down 4 corner gullies, save all that worry.
I’m just waiting for you to say I’ve had enough of the one you have now, with depreciation and wear and tear etc I may be able to purchase a 10th share in it?
The RS does collect on the roof as it has ridges that protrude higher at the sides for the full length, doesn’t gully off in the corners though just straight off the back, for some reason it’s these that seem to have the marks on, I’ve clayed, polished and waxed them so it does come off but just frustrating having to re wash after it’s not moved for a couple of weeks☹️

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Maybe ask a moho dealer what they use as they must wash hundreds of vans every year.
I know our dealer uses a professional jet sprayer and does put paper mats in the foot wells which advertise the cleaning products they use....but I can remember what it is.
Will soon find out next month when the van goes in for its hab check as they always wash it to check for leaks etc.
But maybe a phone call to your dealer would help.

Les

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I suspect a lot of dealers use industrial traffic film remover, lot of coach and haulage outfits use it, gets vehicles very clean but strips wax off and leaves staining if not cleaned off properly, decals seem to be v sensitive to it.
One side of my Burstner was terrible, the RS has similar staining, just not as bad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back