Black necked grebe ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
We have a new visitor on the River Witham near us.
It's a very shy duck that I haven't come across before.
DSCN6652.JPGDSCN6648.JPGDSCN6634.JPGDSCN6643.JPGDSCN6646.JPGAs soon as it's disturbed it will dive and make its way to the far bank making it very hard to catch on camera. It's slightly smaller than the moorhens and coots.
Looking through my books and on the internet, I believe that it is a Black necked grebe.
It would be great if some keen birdwatchers among you could verify my thoughts.
According to the RSPB website there are only 130 of these grebes in the country, so it will obviously be of interest to birdwatchers if my identification is correct.
Over to you guys ?

OP
OP
Bobd
Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Thank you Shrimp for the prompt reply (y)
I have lived next to the river for 6 years and it's the first I have seen here, and I walk along the riverbank daily with my dog

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Looks like black necked although with winter plumage Slavonian Grebe similar and little grebe but photos poor
I am looking on my phone so photos not very clear, did you have a good view through binoculars or telescope
Could you see red eye which is distinctive of both black necked and slavonian but not little

OP
OP
Bobd
Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Looks like black necked although with winter plumage Slavonian Grebe similar and little grebe but photos poor
I am looking on my phone so photos not very clear, did you have a good view through binoculars or telescope
Could you see red eye which is distinctive of both black necked and slavonian but not little

My books and websites led me to black necked with winter plumage.
I have managed a brief look through binoculars but I didn't see evidence of red eye, but the light conditions were poor and also at a distance of 50 metres.
My bridge camera was at full zoom as well, hence the poor quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
My books and websites led me to black necked with winter plumage.
I have managed a brief look through binoculars but I didn't see evidence of red eye, but the light conditions were poor and also at a distance of 50 metres.
My bridge camera was at full zoom as well, hence the poor quality.

I know, it's difficult to gauge size and photos still poor but it does look like a little grebe to me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back