Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
G'day
The line of sealer across the top of the windscreen (where the Fiat part joins the Buerstner part) is slowly but surely turning black despite regular use of Fenwicks Motorhome Cleaner. I've read a couple of threads on cleaning sealant but having checked the labels on most of the suggested products they all state "may damage enamelled surfaces". They all seem to be designed for cleaning between ceramic tiles rather than paintwork and most just seem to be diluted bleach. Obviously I don't want to damage the spotless white paint :giggler: or the winscreen seal so I'm reluctant to take a chance.
Can anyone recommend a sealant cleaner that definitely won't do any damage?
Then I can concentrate on the problem of how my 5'6" frame can reach the bit in the middle...

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was very sceptical when it was suggested but tried cilic bang black mould remover.
It made a vast improvement.
For absolute perfection I think the only way is to remove the old sealer and replace with something of better quality,
It has caused no damage to mine but I could obviously not guarantee it doesn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi, I had similar on our van. When we collected it the dealer had assured us it would be cleaned thoroughly, however it seems we all have differing opinions as to the meaning of that phrase. The same area was affected as well as the grey sealing strip along the top edge of the van to the canopy.
The strip had gone completely black and mouldy. Knowing how well "Brintons patio magic" worked I brushed a diluted solution of that on the offending areas.
As already stated, it's not going to disappear completely, it's to late for that the damage has been done, it will however fade it to a more acceptable level. Failing that it would need ripping out and resealing, but you may want to think long and hard on that decision, the possibility of opening up an area for water to get driven into any minuscule holes left in the finish could be more worrisome than a little bit of residual staining.
<Broken link removed>
Mike.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Mine too the rain flap above the awning is stained and resists any attempt to clean it

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Mine too the rain flap above the awning is stained and resists any attempt to clean it
Try the brintons, worked on mine. The left over can be used around the garden.
Mike

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Here's the top of mine now.
Mhome sealing strip .jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have always put my trust in neat Bleach, especially for cleaning the mastic wall joints around baths & shower trays.
Get a small cup & a half inch paint brush, apply a thick coat to a small area as a trial, leave for half an hour then wash off with soapy water, it shouldn't damage an surrounding areas if applied carefully.
If it is still stained with black specs, then I am afraid the mastic will need racking out and replacing, as it does have a limited life span.
Good luck, hope that advice makes a difference for you.
LES

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've been using Williams Racing waterless Wash and Wax. It's good everywhere along as there is no grime to scratch the paint.

IMG_20210930_155216.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Mould and mildew cleaners work but are typicaly bleach based And may rot many plastic or cotton woven fabrics. with sealants you may kill the mould but have a residual stain, replacement then the only perfect solution (some sealants/adhesives have built in mould resistance, read data sheet)s. The last time i had a problem was with the roof tent on the bongo.
When using bleach based product lots of ventilation and washing/ flushing is required. It may return. When it did i used advice from the bongo forum and used clove oil and gentle application. The mildew did not return during my ownership. Clove oil is now SWMBO's go to solution (yes pun intended a little dilution with water is ok)

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have used Autoglym Super Resin Polish using a tooth brush. Cleans some off and it does not look too bad. Tough trying to get to the central part of the screen.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back