Black marks (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Returned from Cornwall last month and noticed fine hard darkesh covering of ash on MH roof, tried to wash it off with conventional materials but with no success. Just tried again and same result. Anyone know what it could be or better still how to remove it..... !

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whats the roof made of? If its fiberglass it could be mould. If so its damned difficult to remove.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
No it's not mould, looks like it could have been brought over in the wind from North Africa, Spain or somewhere and deposited in a great heap on the MH. Strangely tis not on the other bodywork !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just been up and washed mine... "Filthy"...

Black spots and bits everywhere, got a lot of woodburning neighbors but dont seem like normal ash..

Think they have been burning rubber or plastic...:Angry:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Our roof often has black spots on and they are fly droppings and I have to T-Cut em off, never found a cleaning material that will work

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
my neighbour told me that ariel non biological does the trick but i've not tried it myself yet

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
T-cut would seem to be the solution but....my arm is not long enough to reach from one side to the other whilst dangling on a precarious ladder and trying not to dent the side of MH to which the ladder is mounted, scaffolding seems a little OTT. Suggestions please.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
T-cut would seem to be the solution but....my arm is not long enough to reach from one side to the other whilst dangling on a precarious ladder and trying not to dent the side of MH to which the ladder is mounted, scaffolding seems a little OTT. Suggestions please.

If its that bad use a cream cleaner suitable for plastics. It can be applied with a soft brush on a pole if you cant reach.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant really tell from your avatar pic but if its a low profile coach built (which i think it is) then you should be able to climb on the roof...they are surprisingly strong.
panel van conversion...ignore the above advise :Doh:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I used to use WD40 and that worked but someone told me it isn't a good thing to do.:Sad:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Where were you in Cornwall?

If you were anywhere in the St Austell/Newquay/Meva/ Fowey area it could be the greasy China Clay Dust, you should be able to remove it with normal polish, ie Turtle Wax.

Just a tip, always lean the ladder against the top of your unit, but, cover the top of the ladder with several thicknesses of a thick cloth, like 2to3 inches thick to protect the paintwork et al.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Where were you in Cornwall?

If you were anywhere in the St Austell/Newquay/Meva/ Fowey area it could be the greasy China Clay Dust, you should be able to remove it with normal polish, ie Turtle Wax.

Just a tip, always lean the ladder against the top of your unit, but, cover the top of the ladder with several thicknesses of a thick cloth, like 2to3 inches thick to protect the paintwork et al.

Ah yes, St Austell, we parked beneath a china clay hill with all the workings criss crossing the hill. If so could hottish water be the answer ? Can't try today am being deluged with water near Stirling (rain) but not warm rain !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could try babywipes ... put one or two on a broom head secured with elastic bands and see if that works ...

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are also troubled with black marks and streaks on the mh, the caravan was bad enough when we had it, but didn't think the mh would be just as bad.
I saw a thread on here a while back entitled "Aldi Caravan Cleaner", does anyone know if it works, because we noticed it in Aldi at the weekend. At £3.99 for a largish bottle it's always worth a try, but wondered if any other funsters had tried it out first?:roflmto:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I bet our Graham and Jill have...:Smile: (GJH)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ah yes, St Austell, we parked beneath a china clay hill with all the workings criss crossing the hill. If so could hottish water be the answer ? Can't try today am being deluged with water near Stirling (rain) but not warm rain !

We get the same prob, never used hot water, would that affect the sealent?
I just use a normal wash and wax then Turtle wax, not the liquid, the paste. I find (at 1.850 6-2 ) I can reach the middle of the roof, if the ladder is no higher than the roof level, BUT, it has to be well padded, at least 50-75mm (2-3 inches) thick.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Try Muc-off or fuchs-off its motorbike cleaner but it is amazing removes anything and paint,plastic everything friendly. I have posted before about it but not anyone has ever posted they used it. If you ever see my motorhome its always spotless and it sits alot in storage and i use it everytime,

craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back