Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Morning all, I recently put in a new pump for the fresh water (old one leaked), in the filter were some black bits. Anyone know what they could be, they look and feel like plastic, but I dont think they are. It is a 19 year old van and I assume it is the original tank. I have some sterilising powder to put in the tank, would this remove the black bits? Any advise much appreciated
Gary

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You might find that is the swarf created when holes were cut into your water tank or your pipes were cut. You could try drying them and see what a flame does to them - if they melt, it is plastic. My water pump filter was blocked with the stuff.

If the black bits are more like flakes, they could be algal growth - our MH loo cistern seems to have it and it ends up on the bowl when we flush. I need to add something to the cistern to stop it.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It sounds like the "rubberised" scum that forms when water is left in a tank for a while, when you refill the tank it often washes this scum (off and this gets into the water and around seals etc, a bit like the cack (grease, congealed fat etc) you get in sink waste traps, flush your tank out and refill, that'll probably sort it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you replaced the old pump, it may be parts of the rubber impellor or diaphragm off that which could be why it needed changed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Looks like plastic and feels like plastic, it's probably plastic.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just re read the OP, if you have just fitted a new pump then it could well be bits off the old one!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back