Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're in Spain - Blanes - and I've been bitten over and over again by beasts that seem to find me irresistable. People worry about the mozzies in Scotland but these characters are much worse. Any tips for avoidance and treatment other than to travel north again??
Next stop for us is just up the coast L'Escala then a wander back through France.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Go to a "Famathia" (Not spelt right) (Chemist) and get some "Autan" Activo Repelente de insectos, spray for the bites..

And some "PreVipiQ".. Leite Protector to keep the buggers away... the PreVipiQ is a roll on to stop them and put them off of you.. (y)

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We're in Spain - Blanes - and I've been bitten over and over again by beasts that seem to find me irresistable. People worry about the mozzies in Scotland but these characters are much worse. Any tips for avoidance and treatment other than to travel north again??
Next stop for us is just up the coast L'Escala then a wander back through France.
They are up north as we'll came back yesterday after spending three nights in Brugge looks like a German measles rash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Come on home, don`t stay in those strange Foreign places .
Blighty has wonderful weather and nothing nasty to bite you.:)

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Sup plenty of alcohol :LOL:

I've always thought that's why I get bitten, the neat alcohol running through my veins........:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've brought Smidge with me and it is working fine. It is more known as a midge repellent but it works on other critters too. Smells nice and claims to be waterproof. Which is no help if you didn't bring anything with you so off to the pharmacy!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Make a trap for the little beggars (y)

Pinched off the SWMBO's FB page

Broken Link Removed

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
When bitten by mosquito's or other insects we use an aspivenin vacumn pump which you put over the bite for 60-90 seconds and it brings the venem/itching agent( anti- blood coagulator) injected by the insect back to the bite area and does stop the itching. You can use it on day old bites and it still relieves the pain.

Look on Internet or local chemist. It does work!

As used by SAS/Foriegn Leagion and Sans Frontiers as well as Cyclewalkbob bob and family!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i was once told eat plenty of garlic in case they are vampire mossies :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

L'Escala is one of my favourite areas(y)

The Aquarius site at St Pere Pescador is AcSI I think. A short walk from there to Mass Gusso a bodega for excellent tapas.

Very jealous.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi, we live in Spain and always use Mercadona [supermarket] own brand insect repellent it comes in a orange pump spray bottle and is less than half the price of Autan , you will find it in the section ,with the house hold fly spays etc, Happy scratching.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We brought Smidge too but they were still biting. We've moved to L'Escala (Camping Illa Mateua also ACSI) been to Mercadona and now fully equipped.
I love the home made mosquito trap ... will try that too.
Just had a fabulous lazy swim in the campsite's new heated pool.
This is so the life ...
Still itching but happy. :LOL:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There were a lot in South France when we were there a couple of weeks ago. We took Jungle Formula which works but stinks, we got some nicer smelling stuff in France which seemed to work too.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I got bit loads in France this Sept.
Got home and my Mum said try an Avon product - yes Avon - Skin So soft with Jojoba
Oil. She usually gets loads of bites but she used this and only had one bite all summer!!!
I am told this is what the army uses.....so I have purchased 2 bottles...
fingers crossed.
Hope this helps.....PS it can be ordered online...Mike and Les

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
before i set off years ago the doctor at the tropical health clinic and his wife both seasoned travellers told us to wash in the morning with a capfull of cheap disinfectant in the water .
it keeps the flies etc away . cleans any bites you may get and stops your body smelling .
it works .
have travelled to india , toured lots of africa and havent found anything that works better or cheaper .
did come across some repellant in gambia called ...dusk .... made in uk at oldham . but you cant buy it in uk as its wasnt licenced in eu. that worked .
but cheap disinfectant bought in our super markets for about 30p a bottle works fine .

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Make a trap for the little beggars (y)

Pinched off the SWMBO's FB page

Broken Link Removed

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
Fantastic! Can't wait to try it out, any that decide they still prefer my blood will have to deal with my electrified zapper Frank ::bigsmile:

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
My daughter is very prone to insect bites, Doc advised her to take a garlic tablet for 14 days before she goes abroad, works really well, no bites in the last four years... Unlike he husband he looks like a 'Pin Cushion'
Best Regards Mac

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I have a friend who swears by Vitamin B tablets 1 per day, start taking them 1 month before travelling. I have also heard of garlic capsules taken the same way.
I personally use Avon Skin So Soft, the original, white and blue bottle which really does work and as said, reportably used by our armed forces. (y)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
The trap is a great idea with that recipe, I will definitely make one of those up in future.
This same setup, but with sugar, jam and water works great as a wasp trap when eating outside, BBQ etc. Set a couple up just a short distance from your eating / cooking area.(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I frequently get bitten quite a lot, so a couple of months before our 4-week trip to the South of France in August / September I took a daily garlic capsule and also a Vitamin 'B' complex tablet (smells and tastes like Marmite). Low and behold had far less bites than usual - about 3 or 4 I think, and they were fairly mild. Usually suffer very much worse than that. And we stayed in plenty of places where we could see the little blighters around. Not exactly scientific, but will certainly repeat prior to our next camping trip to southern Europe.

Mike

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
some great ideas, I will try some of these. both my wife and I suffer from the little blighters.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Old Spanish cure is to eat garlic, we used that when we lived there and had no problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back