Bit the bullet

Discussion in 'Funsters on a diet' started by jezport, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Burgo

Burgo Funster

Ratings:
    +401
    I apologise if any of that post came over as negative - it certainly wasn't meant to be. The post was simply meant to illustrate that, sadly, there are no short cuts and it can be flipping hard to shift the weight. I need to shed a few kg as well as I've put on a bit over winter and need to get back down to a healthier weight before summer comes, as I feel awful in the heat if I've got a bit much "bioprene"insulation on!

The whole weight issue nowadays is not helped by the way in which we eat now, as well as what we eat, which has changed a lot since the 50s, when much less of the population had weight issues. The truth of the matter is that actually you don't need that much at all - we've just all also got used to larger and larger portions of more and more calorie laden food, over the last 40 years or so.

And I do appreciate that for some folk with health / mobility issues aids such as e-bikes, walking frames, etc are invaluable aids to getting out and about and that can only be a good thing. But we now see totally able people using e-bikes and then congratulating themselves on how much they've done, when in fact the bike's done the hard work. In order to get any benefit, especially on the cardio side, you must push and challenge yourself, slowly and carefully.

It's not walking or cycling up the hill that will kill you; It's not walking or trying to cycle up it that more likely will.

• Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. Guigsy

Guigsy Funster

Ratings:
    +890
    Exercise is very important, but it's not a great way to lose weight. It takes about an hour of continuous heavy breathing aerobic exercise to burn 500 calories. It's far easier to just not eat that extra portion of pudding. And studies show that most people that hard exercise end up compensating for the extra calories they just burnt by rewarding themselves (and often over-compensate).

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +49,322
    Calorie controlled diets don’t work long term, they never have and never will.
    There is loads of evidence to support this.

Calories are not created equally, and should not be treated as such.

Over time the human diet has shifted from a high fat diet to a high carb - low fat one, and as such obesity has increased in line with this change.

More and more doctors and health professionals are now suggesting returning to a low carb - high fat diet as a way not only of losing weight but also a way of reversing diabetes.

Ketogenic and Paleo diets are more in tune with what the human body was designed to live on. Combine this with intermittent fasting and I believe you have the perfect recipe for a longer and healthier life.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. DC4JC

DC4JC Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    I think depending on how you use an e bike they can be beneficial. We have them and quite often don't engage the electric motor so using them like a normal bike. As they are heavier than a normal bike the effort required in this mode is more.
    Then when you've got a steep hill or combined with a strong head wind the electric comes into it's own, but even when we engage it we normally keep it on the lowest setting so you still need a level of effort to cycle.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Guigsy

Guigsy Funster

Ratings:
    +890
    The types of food we have moved over to in the past 40 years has changed. It is higher carb... but it's also more calorific, cheaper and more convenient.

Low carb diets are low calorie. So is fasting and Keto/Paleo/etc. They are just an easy framework to figure out what you can eat and more convenient that calculating calories.

6. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +49,322
    The nice thing about Keto and Paleo is that you don’t count calories.
    You are mainly concerned with reducing carbs and getting enough healthy fat
    A contradiction that many people struggle with as at first glances it appears unhealthy

7. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +7,291
    I have never seen anyone on an e bike sweating cobs and out of breath like i am after peddling up a steep hill...May have met the wrong e Cyclists,,,BUSBY,,:D2

8. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +7,291
    Only lost one and a half pounds the wife a pound this week,,,Thats half a stone for the better half and about eleven for me,, Still having a drink every night,,BUSBY,,

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  9. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Well, lost 13lb since I started. Ive been using Samsung Health app on my phone to track weight, calories, pulse and blood pressure. As well as losing weight my blood pressure has dropped and so has my pulse.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2