Bit of guidance for Spanish / Portugal rally please (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
First time abroad, I would like to travel in company, especially meeting up and having a chat. I'm thinking of heading South September 2018 and would love some suggestions of organised rallies heading that way.

Don't mind joining a club if necessary for well organised venues.

Very nervous about first time and not that keen to travel on my own.

Any heading South pointers greatly appreciated.
cliff

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would look at the Camping Club rallies scattered around Spain, you could do a few weeks at each one which will give you an idea on which area of Spain you prefer. We did that 12 years ago for the first time. Not on any rallies now but spend 6 months at La Manga. The Winter Brochure is published sometime in July but you will have to join the Camping Club.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Camping and Caravan Club, suggest you join and apply for the Winter Sun Guide costing £10 which is deducted when you book your first rally. We do quite a few rallies with them and some years ago once I retired a friend suggested we join a few of their rallies, we love it and have just had 3 months in France and Spain taking in a couple. You can join the rally for a long as you wish it is not necessary to do the whole thing. We have just booked our rallies for Feb and March 2018, be aware some of the very popular ones book up quickly so once you decide go for it.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just ask on here about whatever Rally takes your fancy, some are not motorhome friendly i.e. a long way from shops, attractions etc and members can advise or help guide you.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Camping and Caravan Club, suggest you join and apply for the Winter Sun Guide costing £10 which is deducted when you book your first rally. We do quite a few rallies with them and some years ago once I retired a friend suggested we join a few of their rallies, we love it and have just had 3 months in France and Spain taking in a couple. You can join the rally for a long as you wish it is not necessary to do the whole thing. We have just booked our rallies for Feb and March 2018, be aware some of the very popular ones book up quickly so once you decide go for it.

Thanks for the info. I had a look and there is seems to be nothing available after September next year. I will definitely order the guide you suggest and expect it will make good reading for a first timer.

I could go end of July but I think it will be too hot so September seems a good choice. After September there is no time limit to get back home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the info. I had a look and there is seems to be nothing available after September next year. I will definitely order the guide you suggest and expect it will make good reading for a first timer.

I could go end of July but I think it will be too hot so September seems a good choice. After September there is no time limit to get back home.
You will have to wait until the book comes out in July, when it does book quickly as the more popular ones do get full.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
July/ August are worst times to visit, all sites are rammed and it's the most expensive time of year, French and Spanish are on holiday and it's to hot.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Craig we have just done a short stay on this rally it's in the summer rally program the last in summer season, stunning site right on a superb beach, so good we have now booked for next year. May be of interest to you, stewards are superb and organise daily events from cycling, walking, eating out and coach trips. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/european/spain/costabrava/aquariusrally

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry about not finding rallies. If you stick to the major campsites you won't go wrong. The folk at reception will have some English and you don't need any language skills to shop in a supermarket.

We'll be heading to Spain in September. Weather permitting we will be going to Galicia first then down south through Portugal, though probably only to the middle. From there we will go into Spain to have a look at the Extremadura before Andalusia for some sherry. :) We will probably end somewhere sunny further up the coast. :)

My point is you don't need to over plan or over think it. The ACSI books and CamperContact are all you need. :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I wouldn't worry about not finding rallies. If you stick to the major campsites you won't go wrong. The folk at reception will have some English and you don't need any language skills to shop in a supermarket.

We'll be heading to Spain in September. Weather permitting we will be going to Galicia first then down south through Portugal, though probably only to the middle. From there we will go into Spain to have a look at the Extremadura before Andalusia for some sherry. :) We will probably end somewhere sunny further up the coast. :)

My point is you don't need to over plan or over think it. The ACSI books and CamperContact are all you need. :)
Thats okay then he can talk to the reception on the way in and on his way out shopping, read the post he is asking for advise on rallies because he wants company.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Craig we have just done a short stay on this rally it's in the summer rally program the last in summer season, stunning site right on a superb beach, so good we have now booked for next year. May be of interest to you, stewards are superb and organise daily events from cycling, walking, eating out and coach trips. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/european/spain/costabrava/aquariusrally

Thanks

Yes its definitely of interest!

If we want to travel in company to get there, any suggestions? I hoped to be able to stop off en route as part of the trip south

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thats okay then he can talk to the reception on the way in and on his way out shopping, read the post he is asking for advise on rallies because he wants company.
:eek: He's had advice on rallies. My point is Spain isn't somewhere to be worried about. You don't need wall to wall rallies. Just go. :)
And though I didn't say so (by posting I was inferring this) if we were in the same area I would be happy to meet up for a chat. I seem to recall reading this in the first sentence of the post. :)
I would say there is a sort of unwritten convention on this forum that folk who find they are touring in the same area do often make contact and meet up. I met @Viennese recently this way. :)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks

Yes its definitely of interest!

If we want to travel in company to get there, any suggestions? I hoped to be able to stop off en route as part of the trip south

How do you intend travelling to Spain? We usually travel overnight Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander, some prefer the tunnel and drive through France, we did this in August but will not repeat next year prefer the direct route and are allowing a few days to travel to Aquarius Rally next year.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How do you intend travelling to Spain? We usually travel overnight Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander, some prefer the tunnel and drive through France, we did this in August but will not repeat next year prefer the direct route and are allowing a few days to travel to Aquarius Rally next year.
We'll be going Plymouth to Santander. I haven't booked the ferry yet (memo to self...... sort this out) but if there's space it will be the first boat in September.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I think the tunnel and a drive through France stopping off at places of interest. Mrs is worried about bad weather in the Biscay as she doesn't travel well at sea.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@DBK
Were not far from Plymouth
@Stewart J

Thanks for the camping and caravan club link. I have joined and ordered the £10 abroad booklet.
On the website, I cant find how you found out about this rally.

My searches come up with this page but the Aquarius rally is not mentioned.
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/rallies/european-winter-sun-rallies/

I've tried searching Spanish rallies, rallies but but can't find the route.

Any pointers for searching the web site please

Edit

I found the link under summer rallies.! Not an easy site to find you way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I think the tunnel and a drive through France stopping off at places of interest. Mrs is worried about bad weather in the Biscay as she doesn't travel well at sea.
@DBK
Were not far from Plymouth

@Stewart J

Thanks for the camping and caravan club link. I have joined and ordered the £10 abroad booklet.
On the website, I cant find how you found out about this rally.

My searches come up with this page but the Aquarius rally is not mentioned.
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/rallies/european-winter-sun-rallies/

I've tried searching Spanish rallies, rallies but but can't find the route.

Any pointers for searching the web site please

Edit

I found the link under summer rallies.! Not an easy site to find you way around.
On the C CC homepage use the search facility at top right of page, type in Aquarius Rally it opens the rally page, no need to log in although doing so opens up more of the website.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back