LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Like boy`s and there toy`s do.... over time I have bought all manner of camera`s...... and usually end up giving them away or flogging them after a couple of try`s at using them...

The last one I bought is still packed away after giving up on all the lenses and other stuff that came with it...

I would like to be able to drive a camera proper...

How`s about a novice camera meet at my place.... just need a few to come and one or two who are switched on and can give Camera numpty`s like me a few lessons on how to take decent photo`s..

But a lot of the time will be taken up with Bar-B-Q`s and :cheers::drink::beerchug:

Well most of the time really... :giggler:

I cannot get my head round all this F this F that speed, light etc...

Any one fancy it in say May - June time for a long weekend.. say a Friday till Monday.. Don`t even have to have an interest in photography.... ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Trouble is Mo that it is all digital now and unless you have a manual switch, you arn't given the choice of which aperture and shutter speed you want if it goes against what the camera decides is 'correct'. Sometimes you don't WANT the correct one if you are after a special effect. :(

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
The last one I treated myself to Joy, was a Cannon (I think) and it was of the old school, where you had various lenses which clipped on with umpteen filters and the like...

A mate down South has a similar one, and I am so envious of the photo`s he took with the Long Len`s and Wide Angle etc...

And took photo`s with a "Sepia" thing on that made them come out like the old ones you often see.. not black and white but strangely sort of smokey...

Anyway it was just an idea... :xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Trouble is Mo that it is all digital now and unless you have a manual switch, you arn't given the choice of which aperture and shutter speed you want if it goes against what the camera decides is 'correct'. Sometimes you don't WANT the correct one if you are after a special effect. :(
You have all that on yours Joy.:xsmile:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Like boy`s and there toy`s do.... over time I have bought all manner of camera`s...... and usually end up giving them away or flogging them after a couple of try`s at using them...

The last one I bought is still packed away after giving up on all the lenses and other stuff that came with it...

How`s about a novice camera meet at my place.... just need a few to come and one or two who are switched on and can give Camera numpty`s like me a few lessons on how to take decent photo`s..

But a lot of the time will be taken up with Bar-B-Q`s and :cheers::drink::beerchug:

Any one fancy it in say May - June time for a long weekend.. say a Friday till Monday.. Don`t even have to have an interest in photography.... ?
If it’s in June I could be up for this Mo, but I will be the one round the BBQ. :drink:
Don’t know if @DavidG58 has seen this.:xThumb:

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
We'll enjoy BBQ while you take photo's Mo. No good me buying another camera, people borrow them , never get them back. Depending on dates would like to join you.

Anne & Malc

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Good photos are the one you are able to spot/see - not the size/cost of the camera.
Most cameras now have an auto setting which do everything 98% of the time. You only need the DSLR if you're going to spend a good deal of your time searching out that magnificent shot in bad conditions and there will be little time for B-b-Q's or drinkipoo.
Buy a quality pocket camera and go looking for that good/unusual photos, digital photos are such a big a file size, that they are all stunning after you've trimmed off the rubbish, zoomed in and adjusted them a bit on the computer.

Sorry!

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Good photos are the one you are able to spot/see - not the size/cost of the camera.
Most cameras now have an auto setting which do everything 98% of the time. You only need the DSLR if you're going to spend a good deal of your time searching out that magnificent shot in bad conditions and there will be little time for B-b-Q's or drinkipoo.
Buy a quality pocket camera and go looking for that good/unusual photos, digital photos are such a big a file size, that they are all stunning after you've trimmed off the rubbish, zoomed in and adjusted them a bit on the computer.

Sorry!

No need to say "Sorry"..... I appreciate your comments...

I have a Sony 64 zoom, that is quite good,,,,, but seeing others photo`s taken with what I call a proper camera and having one...

I would like to be able to drive it properly.. :xsmile:

And the trimming etc you speak of.... :xsurprised: I can only just manage to turn my puter on and off.. let alone trim zoom in and adjust...

Judy is more capable with a computer than me....... and she is a woman... :giggler:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@old-mo a few of us on Motorhome Fun have the Canon SX60 HS and I only use this now and I have a drawer full of cameras and lenses.
I will be teaching, but just on the quaffing side. :drink:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The last one I treated myself to Joy, was a Cannon (I think) and it was of the old school, where you had various lenses which clipped on with umpteen filters and the like...

A mate down South has a similar one, and I am so envious of the photo`s he took with the Long Len`s and Wide Angle etc...

And took photo`s with a "Sepia" thing on that made them come out like the old ones you often see.. not black and white but strangely sort of smokey...

Anyway it was just an idea... :xsmile:

Mo, might be worth considering a good bridge camera which has a fixed zoom lens so no need for changing lens between wide angle and telephoto zoom lenses, there are some excellent quality ones available and as far as special effects are concerned take your photos and adjust for special effects eg. sepia etc in Photoshop or similar and experiment with camera with exposure, aperture and shutter priority. It can be fun :xgrin:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Mo, might be worth considering a good bridge camera which has a fixed zoom lens so no need for changing lens between wide angle and telephoto zoom lenses, there are some excellent quality ones available and as far as special effects are concerned take your photos and adjust for special effects eg. sepia etc in Photoshop or similar and experiment with camera with exposure, aperture and shutter priority. It can be fun :xgrin:
The camera I quoted will do all that Mo.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Must admit a good bridge camera is ideal, I've had SLR (35mm) and digital zoom cameras but my bridge cameras get the most use, so easy to use in auto mode but can equally be adjusted if I want to get more involved - I actually have a very good DSLR too but that hardly sees the light of day!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Out of curiosity, which model and lenses? I flog 2nd hand lenses online and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for lenses, including old 35mm SLR film camera lenses. Some have a strange sort of cult status that puts the price up. It might add a decent sum to your piggy bank for your next piece of camera kit, should you decide to sell them off.

By the way, if you ask about cameras on any forum you'll rarely get the same answer twice - it's a very personal thing. I would agree with others who say the trick is to recognise a good composition or opportunity rather than worry too much about kit, especially with so many digital cameras offering auto exposure. That said, a camera with a decent optical zoom range from wide angle to telephoto in a single lens is always worth having. I personally can't stand any camera without an eyepiece because I can't see LCD back displays on a sunny day, but each to their own.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Out of curiosity, which model and lenses? I flog 2nd hand lenses online and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for lenses, including old 35mm SLR film camera lenses.

I have had a quick look, and cannot find it for the life of me...

Still got boxes we have not opened from moving... :xdoh:

It`s not old, just over a year, I think... came as a package with loads of len`s filters etc...

I will have a good look round and get back to you.. :xThumb:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
. just need a few to come and one or two who are switched on and can give Camera numpty`s like me a few lessons
Have you tried pressing the button on the top Mo:xwink::xdoh:
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Here we go @magicsurfbus ....

It`s a "Nikon D3200" camera. (Not A Cannon.. :xdoh:).. with... Vivitar 500mm.. F/8.0 Multi Coated Telephoto Lens.... And.... A... Tamron AF70-300mm F/4.5,6 ..

And..... A Prisma 2.2x High Definition AF Telephoto Lens...

And.... A Prisma D.43x High Definition AF Wide Angle Lens..

And.... A Nikon DX ED18-55mm 1.3.3.5.6g2...

And.... Pouches and packets of various filters and Flash thingy`s and Remote unit`s... and Tripods...

And that means diddly squat to me... :xdoh::xrofl:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Bit of forward thinking....

................ Is that wise at your ripe old age Mo? You told me that when you asked your Doctor how long you had his reply was............

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

:wink:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You have all that on yours Joy.:xsmile:

Sort of Dave but still certain limitations ... I used to love my old camera (yonks ago:) ) with my Cokin lenses too. Was looking nostalgically at my light meter yesterday. You do realise you have just volunteered to show me how to use this camera to full capacity don't you?
:whistle:

Talking of which Mo, next time you have Quality Street , elastic band some of the coloured cellophane wrappers over the lens ... brilliant effects gor sunrise/sunset/green grass etc etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You don't need to Mo.
Any camera will give you decent photos in idiot auto mode.....possibly even better than manual mode.
F stops, light meters.......all in the past with digital cameras and totally unnecessary in my opinion unless you want special effects.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's more your ability than the camera Mo.
A mate in Australia took up photography a few years ago and is now pretty well known in the Sydney area having won competitions and having photos printed in magazines.
But......he thinks nothing of wading neck deep in the ocean at 4am to get a perfect shot of a pelican skimming the water for fish or climbing half way up a sheer cliff to get a pic of chicks in a nest on a ledge.
It's not the camera, it's the bloke using it.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Just another useful tip Mo to make a note of in your photography filofax, remember to take the lens cover off:xcool::xwink:
Brian & Jo

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I think someone used to run photography weekends on here, cant remember his name but he was a moderator on facts and lived full time with wife a young daughter....no idea.:xblink: just had a thought I think he had a link with a member who had something to do with tv aerials. Talk about cryptic...:xdoh::xsmile: I think they set up a site together then disappeared.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think someone used to run photography weekends on here, cant remember his name but he was a moderator on facts and lived full time with wife a young daughter....no idea.:xblink: just had a thought I think he had a link with a member who had something to do with tv aerials. Talk about cryptic...:xdoh::xsmile: I think they set up a site together then disappeared.
... aerial photography ???? :xrofl:

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Firstly OldMo it's great that you want to improve your photography, that's the most important step. I want to improve mine and I expect even the top Pros do also (Possibly why they are top Pros).
Secondly, and lastly, it's not about the camera. It used to be, when Digital cameras were in their infancy, but not any more.

A Nikon D3200 is all the camera you need and, in the right hands, is easily capable of award winning photos.

So I'll buck the trend and say that AUTO mode is your best friend at this point. Japanese men in white coats spend a lot of their time making AUTO mode (and scene modes) very smart.

To me a good photo is primarily a photo of something interesting, composed in a nice, appealing way and, hopefully sharp and exposed correctly. AUTO/Scene modes should take care of the sharp/exposed part.

What a camera can never do is tell you what an interesting and appealing image looks like, that's YOUR responsibility. Remember, some of the most famous photos in history are blurry and poorly exposed. It's the content that people loved (Search on Cartier-Bresson's Puddle Jumping man for an example).

There are a few ancient rules to composition used by Leonardo da Vinci the same as they are used by modern photographers, they haven't changed.

Rather than go into those I have a few basic tips.

1 - Stick the 18-55mm lens on, that's your "walk-about" lens, good for most things.
2 - Set camera to Auto everything
3 - Take some photos of something.
(If you like I'll set you a project, because it can help to have a goal) - Take 5 totally different photos of your motorhome, all radically different, and post them up here.

4 - Before you press the shutter button....and here's the most important thing in my opinion........Ask yourself a basic question....Is this really going to be interesting? BE BRUTALLY HONEST. If not, then don't press the button yet, try to make it interesting.

5 - If you like a photo, and wish you could take one like it, print it out, or take a quick snap on your phone, then try to recreate it. Ask yourself what it is you like about it and why your photos don't look as good.

Here's something to consider. I've posted lots of images on this forum and got a lot of likes for them. However one of the most popular is this one...

20171115 Cotswold Tree 1920.jpg

......it was taken with my phone. So trust me you have all the gear you need in that Nikon. Start simple with AUTO and "get your eye in" before worrying about the more manual modes.

*Note. There will be some "Scene" Modes that will help you.
For example, if you are shooting a fast moving subject (Sports / Wildlife) then you should have a "Sports Scene Mode". Use it.
If you are taking a photo of a relative or friend, use the "Portrait Scene Mode" (Or whatever Nikon calls it) and zoom in to heads and shoulders (Nobody is interested in what shoes people were wearing).

Manual Override Modes (or "Creative Modes" as some call them) just give you an infinite number of ways to either miss the shot, or to make a mess of it in your panic, until you've spent a while getting very familiar with them.

Youtube is FUUUULLLL of amazing tutorials like these great ones by >>>>CHRIS BRAY<<<<

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back