Birmingham Clean Air Zone (CAZ) Info (1 Viewer)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
H‘s are overrated…….says he from Saltley, Nechells, Chimslee (Chelmsley) Wood and Shard End.

Wy do we need um? ;) Drives my wife mad…..I still drop them to this day!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
£119 per month gets you a Network pass that allows you to use bus, train or tram any time anywhere (zones 1-5). It's less if you stick to buses or if you're coming in from closer. Far from free. But if you're driving into the centre, you're unlikely to be getting free parking either.
Why would you pay to use public transport & travel with who knows what spewing out God knows what? The idea of private vehicles is to stop that.
£30/week to use a bus???? They should be paying us .

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
H‘s are overrated…….says he from Saltley, Nechells, Chimslee (Chelmsley) Wood and Shard End.

Wy do we need um? ;) Drives my wife mad…..I still drop them to this day!
Been through Saltley, Nechells and Shard End today...with a stop in Stechford😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Why would you pay to use public transport & travel with who knows what spewing out God knows what? The idea of private vehicles is to stop that.
£30/week to use a bus???? They should be paying us .
It cheaper and easier (driving from the South) to drive straight into the centre of Bristol and park for 6 hours, than use the Long Ashton P&R……I emailed the Mayor’s Office for an explanation….got a generic load of poo non answer. 🤷‍♂️

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I remember *Spud* from the Black Country, each morning he would ask * Where's me Tie?* * Around your neck* was the reply, * No me cup o tie!*
Or the variation where the Cradley Heath man visits the tailor for a new suit and shirt. 'Kipper tie, sir?', enquires the assistant, 'Ar, milk and 2 sugars, please' ...

Steve

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oi ay bin ennyweer near the Loye fer a gud woil, fairst usband useter gerris shotgun cartridges form theer an it wuz on the way ter Merry ell when we lived in Kiddy so useter goo there via Agley villidge an just carry on. Second one's not from round ar way, so e doe spake the langwich. Mind fairst wuz born in Aston, and he day spake it neither. They doe, frum Brum.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It cheaper and easier (driving from the South) to drive straight into the centre of Bristol and park for 6 hours, than use the Long Ashton P&R……I emailed the Mayor’s Office for an explanation….got a generic load of poo non answer. 🤷‍♂️
God forsaken place. Hated motorists for 30+ years.nightmare going in there to collect spares.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Minor update...

The traffic chaos that some people predicted hasn't happened. Traffic is moving around the ring road. I can't say I've noticed much change in congestion. But I don't drive much in peak times.

I live inside the clean air zone. I've got a cheap air quality sensor attached to a Raspberry Pi that's about 40m from a main road. Due to lockdowns, I don't have much good data from before, so I can't say statistically that the air quality has improved. However, even though we've had quite a few still days where I'd normally expect to see particulates increase, it seems to be lower than before.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
My daughter is in Uni in Birmingham, every time I have go there I can't wait to leave.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My daughter is in Uni in Birmingham, every time I have go there I can't wait to leave.
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-13 at 20.40.37.jpeg

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
My Mum moved from Kettering [literally just down the road from Wicksteed Park], initially to Bilston, thence to Wednesbury. Virtually first day after the move, she stopped a local for directions to her job interview, and he replied, 'Yo'll be awright, ma wench, if yo jus folla the buswas'. After a few repetitions, Mum realised she was to follow the tram lines [bus wires] .... :oops:

Steve
I'm originally from Kettering , moved away in 1990.

I've written this before so some of you may have read it

First time I went through the tyne tunnel in a van was about 30 years ago ,don't know if it's the same now but back then if you were in a van you had to pull into a layby before the tunnel entrance

I pulled in , a copper came over so I opened the window and he said, wollygollyballemae

What

so he said it again wollygollyballemae

I just sat there looking confused for a second, there's no point in him saying it again so I said, I'm really sorry but I can't understand a word you're saying.

On hearing this he stuck his head in the van window and said very slowly

what...have....you....got...in..the...back...like...mate

Oh right :D

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting my 2003 Porsche and my 2004 4.7l V8 Jeep is compliant and no charge yet our 2015 Kia Rio diesel £0 road fund has to pay the charge for Birmingham but nowhere else. I think something is corrupted.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting my 2003 Porsche and my 2004 4.7l V8 Jeep is compliant and no charge yet our 2015 Kia Rio diesel £0 road fund has to pay the charge for Birmingham but nowhere else. I think something is corrupted.
Grand Cherokee?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Everybody should have a V8 at least once in their life, I also have a 4.0l Jeep Wrangler, the one in my avatar that is no charge either

Everybody should have a V8 at least once in their life, I also have a 4.0l Jeep Wrangler, the one in my avatar that is no charge either
I was thinking one of these would be a good idea, get your £8 worth 😁Screenshot_20210715-141847.png

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It’s bizarre with Birmingham as I find the traffic is bad but compared to the Black Country it flows quite well. The Black Country is a nightmare for traffic!

I am a big fan of clean air zones, they tend to come with proper cycle lanes so make it easy for people to actually not use the car.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Why would you want to 'not use the car'? :unsure:What purpose in life is left?:cry:
I haveto be physically ill not to drive everyday.
The only thing worse than driving in inner city traffic is cycling through it. 😬😬

Give me a cycle lane every day. Plus sun, and warmth, and dry and the list goes on.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The only thing worse than driving in inner city traffic is cycling through it. 😬😬

Give me a cycle lane every day. Plus sun, and warmth, and dry and the list goes on.
Cycling on a summers day is fab I agree BUT what are you going to do in October when it's cold and wet? Cycling wont seem so appealing then.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Cycling on a summers day is fab I agree BUT what are you going to do in October when it's cold and wet? Cycling wont seem so appealing then.
It wasn’t, that plus getting knocked off a few times means I now take the car. :-(

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's the difference between local pollution and greenhouse gases.

In terms of your lung's health, petrol burns relatively cleanly (until you get up to motorway speed and start producing NO2). So even relatively old petrol cars with large engines are OK in Clean Air Zones. But petrol isn't that efficient and produces quite a bit of CO2 per mile, which is bad for climate change.

Diesel is the opposite in that it's pretty low CO2 (hence the lower tax), but it produces particulates that build up at local levels and cause health issues. But a couple of miles away it's all settled to the ground or dispersed.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Modern cycling gear is really good. It keeps you warm and dry and not too sweaty. I cycled ~10 miles every day in Liverpool for 2 years for work, except one morning where I took my folding bike on the bus because the snow had turned to ice overnight.

Jan 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
My dad owned one
You get charged each day your vehicle is seen. So drive inside the ring road with a non-compliant vehicle one evening and leave after midnight and you pay for 2 days.

This was the most importatnt detail. Cant find this info anywhere. I got hit with 2 fines

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back