Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
One capsule.
Bring the cassette back from the dump station with a bit of water in the bottom, then drop the capsule down the loo.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use liquid bio and put in a capful. Those fortunate enough to produce rosewater from their fundaments should rejoice in their good fortune. Us mere mortals find bio makes the emptying process if not a pleasant one, at least bearable.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
what quantity do you put in thetford cassette

As much as you want to make your daily trip a pleasure instead of a drudge.

Looks like some people have no sense of smell :rolleyes::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nobody has mentioned that bio tablets (and variants) aren't septic tank friendly. Many sites use septic tanks and don't have mains drainage and if they don't want you using "blue" liquid (with formalin), they won't like bio tabs in your loo either.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nobody has mentioned that bio tablets (and variants) aren't septic tank friendly. Many sites use septic tanks and don't have mains drainage and if they don't want you using "blue" liquid (with formalin), they won't like bio tabs in your loo either.
Good point but I am not sure about the "many sites". While chemicals are still being widely used sites just have to have their tanks emptied as there is little chance of septic tanks working. Our house has a septic tank, or more accurately a mini sewage plant and we do use bio products for washing clothes but not every wash and so far there have been no problems. The tank let's us know if it is not happy - you can begin to smell it!

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
A couple of capfuls of bio in every fresh tank, or a pack of two bio tabs from aldi/lidl.
Stopped using the blue stuff , it's easier to deal with splashes etc without that blue staining everything it gets onto.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I bought the pretty smelling bio fluid once and it smelt lovely as an air freshener but didn't do a thing in the toilet.. I bought it because the man on the stall said after using, you could even empty your cassette on your garden it was so friendly ................... no comment...

The best thing i did to sort any probs was what Polly (Toledo) told me to do. After emptying the cassette, every blue moon, put a bottle of Coca Cola down it and it clears any debris stuck to the side which may be a future problem.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Plenty of blue / green etc. liquids about with no formaldehyde or whatever it is that causes problems.
Measure?
A good old fashioned "dollop" does the trick.
It's only a deodorant, after all, not in there long enough to break anything down, is it?

The Aldi washing stuff is obviously cheaper, but I tried that once.
It did nothing but wash the cassette.
Not a patch on the bespoke stuff.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

I thought the Bio part meant they were septic tank friendly, in that they digest the waste same as a septic tank ? Or am I just a septic sceptic :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Good point but I am not sure about the "many sites". While chemicals are still being widely used sites just have to have their tanks emptied as there is little chance of septic tanks working. Our house has a septic tank, or more accurately a mini sewage plant and we do use bio products for washing clothes but not every wash and so far there have been no problems. The tank let's us know if it is not happy - you can begin to smell it!
hi. best not run your wash water into the tank . at home. better to let it go to a soak away.
these days its washing machines and dish washers that spoil many a tank thats been working for years .
but yes most camp sites have a chemical waste tank . many have their own private sewage farms . many get spoilt by folk putting cassette waste in the wrong place . costs thousands sometimes for the sewage farm to get working again . had to empty plenty then bring in good sewage to get it going again .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
hi. best not run your wash water into the tank . at home. better to let it go to a soak away.
these days its washing machines and dish washers that spoil many a tank thats been working for years .
but yes most camp sites have a chemical waste tank . many have their own private sewage farms . many get spoilt by folk putting cassette waste in the wrong place . costs thousands sometimes for the sewage farm to get working again . had to empty plenty then bring in good sewage to get it going again .

Crumbs if the dishwasher water and washing machine water can do that, it just shows what we are putting next to our skins or into our stomach as there is apparently always some residue .... hence you should always rinse well your clothes etc. Or maybe I am just being overcautious.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its due to the amount of water going through the system . it washes out the good bacteria .
it can be the cleaning stuff but mainly its the water.
its always advised to use special cleaners for the toilet .
very often the word bio is used wrongly . or in the wrong place so it gives the wrong idea .
many things can spoil a sewage system , even chucking sweet papers down the inks used can spoil it.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Wh have started using Ecover Toilet Cleaner in our loo. It works OK as long as the cassette is emptied each day or we add another measure each day. We put in about 50ml.

Also it states very clearly that it is SAFE for septic tanks so I have no worries/guilt about where I empty it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I thought the Bio part meant they were septic tank friendly, in that they digest the waste same as a septic tank ? Or am I just a septic sceptic :)
It wasn't until this thread started that I checked and the general advice seems to be that you minimise the amount of bio washing stuff you use if you have a septic tank. I suspect this is why it works in toilet cassettes, it stops the bacteria which would cause smells in their tracks. But it is very concentrated in a cassette and well diluted the impact is not so great in a septic tank.

I'm not sure what Movan was sold and why it didn't work but ordinary supermarket bio works well in my experience.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good point but I am not sure about the "many sites".

Well, it's only a guess based on the sites and CLs I've visited which have tended to be well away from any mains sewerage. Certainly they're pretty common. I suppose it'll vary quite a lot across the country.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Well, it's only a guess based on the sites and CLs I've visited which have tended to be well away from any mains sewerage. Certainly they're pretty common. I suppose it'll vary quite a lot across the country.
Many sites and rally fields will use holding tanks and have them emptied on a regular basis thus no worries of polluting the area.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am amazed that this thread has gone on for so long without someone mentioning SOG - so I have!
Link Removed
One of the best accessories I have fitted - had it about four years now - and have never used any chemicals (or washing liquid) since. Yes, the contents of the cassette smell a bit but it's not that much of an issue and I can empty it every day in hot weather, knowing that I am not 'wasting' half a tank of expensive toilet fluid.
Completely septic tank-friendly and absolutely no smells inside the van. Emptying frequently, when possible, also means I'm not lugging a heavy cassette about.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But how much did it cost to install if youre going to empty it every day anyway perhaps best to try the nothing approach or a bit of bio or blue especially if paying someone else to install.

David

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Hymer 660 has a black water holding tank (thank goodness).

I have used every type of toilet liquid over the years and have now found the answer that suits me... nothing at all.

I also consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable of what happens to the contents after emptying because I sometimes deposit them at QMJ. (Known by some as "Blackberry Fertiliser.)

The liquid is soaked up by the dried grass in the shallow trench and the "other" dries up in hours and nature soon deals with it.

Of course I do not suggest you do the same on your front lawn!

JJ :cool:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
But how much did it cost to install if youre going to empty it every day anyway perhaps best to try the nothing approach or a bit of bio or blue especially if paying someone else to install.

David
I agree with JeanLuc on the benefits of a SOG, they cost around £100 + fitting .... think I paid £50 as I didn't fancy cutting through the m/h wall myself.
It is the convenience (excuse the pun) of not having to source and carry the chemicals and not just cost saving.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have a septic tank at home (20 years now) & have no problem with bio washing liquid etc.
I find the biggest tank killers are grease/fat & bleach.
Agree about SOG, brilliant. This time we don't have a SOG but the Thetford equivalent built in.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a septic tank at home (20 years now) & have no problem with bio washing liquid etc.
I find the biggest tank killers are grease/fat & bleach.

Totally agree with you. We can't discharge grey water through a soak away (we are in the Tweed Valley drainage system - also have a high water table, dig a hole and it fills with water!) so have a settlement tank
as part of the septic tank system. In 10 years the system has been emptied once because of misuse by a new neighbour but at only £200 to sort out shared between several households it's still much cheaper than being on mains.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

David
It was about £90 when I bought mine. I don't necessarily empty every day - that comment was to illustrate the point that there is no chemical waste if you want to empty a part-full cassette.
The key feature of the SOG is that it has a fan which prevents any smells coming up into the van (sog is, I understand, the past participle of the German verb 'to suck'). If you try and use a Thetford cassette toilet without chemicals and no SOG (or equivalent) the smell in the shower room will be pretty rich in no time - even if you empty it every day.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

can absolutely concur with that(y)

Our tank was nigh on dead when we moved in here 12years ago, took lot to get it going again (bought some stuff off the web - cant remember what as ive not needed it for a few years now) - alot of folk don't realise its a 'living' thing that needs careful management to be kept alive and in tip top condition

a few years ago i diverted all but the toilet and kitchen sink to soak aways - shower/bath to one and washing machine to another

Tank is working great now - hasnt been emptied for nearly 4 years now and is doing great

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The best thing i did to sort any probs was what Polly (Toledo) told me to do. After emptying the cassette, every blue moon, put a bottle of Coca Cola down it and it clears any debris stuck to the side which may be a future problem.

Probably the best thing that you can do with Coke, well the liquid stuff anyway LOL :LOL:(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back