Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI All

Just looking for advice on this route.

I have just booked the ferry to Bilbao, heading for Isla Cristina near Huelva. It the first time i have done this route.

I am intending to stop on Aires, sourced through Camper Contact

Bilbao - Palencia
Palencia - Salamanca
Salamanca - Caceres
Caceres - Jafra
Jafra - Umbrete (near Seville)
Umbrete to Isla Cristina

I am travelling in late January, and planning these to be overnight stops, on my way to the South, and hopefully some sun. Does this seem a sensible plan. Any places that you would avoid, or recommend to stay at. I have been to the Caceres aire before, and Palencia, but the rest are new to me.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Deleted User
Do you mean Zafra?
Caceres to Zafra is a very short hop, the Aire at Zafra is ok, near to town.
Not used Umbrete but if you stop at Zafra it is an easy journey to Isla Christina.
There are few paid for Aires near to Seville if you want to see that city.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Thanks Matamoros

I am not planning to visit Seville this time. Have you stayed in Isla Cristina, or the local area. I am traveling n convoy with a friend, and i think we have decided to do short hops between aires, so that it is relaxing. Mind you, if the weather is terrible, we can always keep going, as we don't need to book sites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Thanks Matamoros

I am not planning to visit Seville this time. Have you stayed in Isla Cristina, or the local area. I am traveling n convoy with a friend, and i think we have decided to do short hops between aires, so that it is relaxing. Mind you, if the weather is terrible, we can always keep going, as we don't need to book sites.

We stayed on the site at Isla Cristina a few years ago, it is amongst trees and sandy could be messy when wet, facilities a bit dated. Cycle track into the very Spanish town, near to huge beach, for us it would be ok for a few days.
We winter just over the border at Cabanas de Tavira but visit Ayamonte and Isla Cristina quite often.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI

I intend to head over the border for a bit int Portugal. I think we met once at Chicken Run, many years ago. I was either in the Burstner Argos 747 or Burstner Elegance. I cant remember which, but i think you were in the fiver.

Deleted User
HI

I intend to head over the border for a bit int Portugal. I think we met once at Chicken Run, many years ago. I was either in the Burstner Argos 747 or Burstner Elegance. I cant remember which, but i think you were in the fiver.

We may have, don't have good memories of that place, we were certainly there for a few months in 2012 I think.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've stayed at the campsite behind the beach at Isla Christina a couple of times. We had the place almost to ourselves the first time and enjoyed it. The second time the site was packed and we hated it! Stayed just one night before crossing into Portugal.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Yes, we were there in 2012 too. We got kicked off by the Police, because apparently they did not have planning permission at the time. I don't know if they are still running. It certainly took the shine off, we moved to Lagos.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We stayed here in April this year.

It is a fantastic place as can be seen by the reviews, but about a mile or so to the beach/ town. (Easy bike ride)

The campsite in town looked pretty unwelcoming.
The town is fairly uninspiring but the beach was great. Ok for a few days but not more for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back