Bilbao to Benidorm HELP (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After over 30 years motorhoming we've finally decided to head for warmer weather in Spain for a few months.
Our ferry is the brave route through the bay of biscay to balboa on December 7th. Our summer route to Spain is easy from southern France but for this trip we are from balboa down to Benidorm .
Could anyone help with a non motorway route and recommendations as to stopovers on route . I'm unsure of possible weather patterns so thought it best to ask the professionals .
I am 11 metres long which includes car/trailer .
Many thanks in anticipation .

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It can get a bit cold in the north of Spain in December. We had a minus 3 in Burgos one night in early December.

The motorways are toll free and would be the only way for me through the mountains at that time of year.

Burgos and Haro are nice towns and worth a visit. Haro site has decent showers etc for winter weather.

Further south Aranjeuz (near Madrid) is a nice place and well worth a visit. 4e on the train to Madrid and takes around 45mins.

But Madrid is pretty high and one of the motorway passes is around 1300mtrs if I remember right so it may be a bit cold still.

Albarracin is a nice place to visit but not sure it will be open. But it has a lovely village in the mountains.

If you are going for the warmer weather you might want to dash south ASAP. :D

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It depends what time you arrive in Bilbao but if it's evening time then stay on the docks and make an early start the next day. You have an option on sites but we head for Riaza which is an ACSI site, you will also be able to park across two pitches and leave the trailer attached. From there you will have a long run to Benidorm but doable in a day. Skirt around Madrid on the M50 and follow the Valencia sign's. Tolls are not expensive so just use your satnav set to toll roads but you will only pay a few euros.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Take the AUTOVIAS as above they are free, AUTOPISTAS are Toll motorways, if you decide on National roads you will pass through the centre of many towns, some very narrow indeed and it will take forever to reach Benidorm.
Expect cold weather....in Spain its winter too....one overnight stop will get you to the Costas. Enjoy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It can get a bit cold in the north of Spain in December. We had a minus 3 in Burgos one night in early December.

The motorways are toll free and would be the only way for me through the mountains at that time of year.

Burgos and Haro are nice towns and worth a visit. Haro site has decent showers etc for winter weather.

Further south Aranjeuz (near Madrid) is a nice place and well worth a visit. 4e on the train to Madrid and takes around 45mins.

But Madrid is pretty high and one of the motorway passes is around 1300mtrs if I remember right so it may be a bit cold still.

Albarracin is a nice place to visit but not sure it will be open. But it has a lovely village in the mountains.

If you are going for the warmer weather you might want to dash south ASAP. :D

I think the site in Haro closes around that date...it was 8/12/ last year,,BUSBY.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I travelled from bilbou to Benidorm last Tuesday,after the boat docked around 8.30 a.m I travelled to Benidorm via toll roads approx 50 euros towing a 7metre caravan with a camper and I was on Raco by about 6.30 pm.
That was the zarogossa route
Alan

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We live here in Spain and can vouch that it is a massive country - about the same size as France - and the sunny, warm bits are right at the southern and south Eastern edges in winter.
If you're coming over here for winter warmth, just blast south on the motorways to the Costa Blanca/Costa del Sol etc Mediterranean coastal strips.

On Spanish news there are already reports of heavy snowfalls over the past couple of nights/days in several northern regions.....but even in snowy weather, if you stick to daytime travel on motorways and don't go through higher mountain passes, you'll be fine (Spanish snow-clearing from motorways is really very efficient indeed, and it's almost never that a motorway here is closed due to snow)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We live here in Spain and can vouch that it is a massive country - about the same size as France - and the sunny, warm bits are right at the southern and south Eastern edges in winter.
If you're coming over here for winter warmth, just blast south on the motorways to the Costa Blanca/Costa del Sol etc Mediterranean coastal strips.

On Spanish news there are already reports of heavy snowfalls over the past couple of nights/days in several northern regions.....but even in snowy weather, if you stick to daytime travel on motorways and don't go through higher mountain passes, you'll be fine (Spanish snow-clearing from motorways is really very efficient indeed, and it's almost never that a motorway here is closed due to snow)

Spain: 194,844 mi² (504,645 km²)
France: 247,367 mi² (640,679 km²)
Sorry couldn't resist(y)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Sorry couldn't resist(y)

Jeez Kevin - which part of "about" (ie roughly/approximately) was just not accurate enough for you in my post when I at least was actually trying to help a fellow member?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
52.523 square miles difference could hardly be called "about or roughly/approximately or any other word you would like to use, France is a lot bigger than Spain, i was only pointing that fact out, plus you got my name wrong. never mind, someone might find my figures interesting, time for a beer.;):cheers:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
52.523 square miles difference could hardly be called "about or roughly/approximately or any other word you would like to use, France is a lot bigger than Spain, i was only pointing that fact out, plus you got my name wrong. never mind, someone might find my figures interesting, time for a beer.;):cheers:

Spain 505,782 square kms.
France 547,030 square kms.
(Source Wikipedia: Area and population of European countries).

Ergo Spain's surface area is 92% of that of France.
In my book that's "about" (approximately/roughly) a similar size.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest you do this over two days. First overnight stop is a Truck stop at Marlofa (At the roundabout as you come off the A68). There is a fuel station here, plus a shop and bar/restaurant, including showers A huge parking area at the rear used by many trucks and Motorhome bays at one end of the parking area. Used to be free Lecce but this has now been disconnected. There is also a service area for the motorhome. All free.
I assume you have a Sat Nav so just select Non Toll and put this place in it for your first stop, about 4 hrs driving. Like wise for Benidorm another 4 Hrs from here.
Safe Travels.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You dock at 12:45, allow an hour or so to disembark, maybe less, maybe more, so how far you go depends on whether you like driving in the dark. The stop at Marlofa sounds good, but I would take the Autopista, even though it'll cost around €30 (according to ViaMichelin), but it'll be much more relaxing.

If you're very late there's an Aire at Vitoria-Gasteiz, which is about an hour away. You might be too long to get in to the actual aire, but as it's in the corner of a huge car park you would be able to park up in the main car park.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Spain 505,782 square kms.
France 547,030 square kms.
(Source Wikipedia: Area and population of European countries).

Ergo Spain's surface area is 92% of that of France.
In my book that's "about" (approximately/roughly) a similar size.
AH Wikipedia the font of all knowledge and normally inaccurate, no more please am bored now(y):)

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
I suggest you do this over two days. First overnight stop is a Truck stop at Marlofa (At the roundabout as you come off the A68). There is a fuel station here, plus a shop and bar/restaurant, including showers A huge parking area at the rear used by many trucks and Motorhome bays at one end of the parking area. Used to be free Lecce but this has now been disconnected. There is also a service area for the motorhome. All free.
I assume you have a Sat Nav so just select Non Toll and put this place in it for your first stop, about 4 hrs driving. Like wise for Benidorm another 4 Hrs from here.
Safe Travels.

Reactions: f6c

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
AH Wikipedia the font of all knowledge and normally inaccurate, no more please am bored now(y):)
That's a least two of us then @Kevan not sure if rule 1 has been transgressed in the recent the criticism of the op posts about the size of Spain vs France. ...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have you got co ordinates for this truck stop. Thanks
41°44'15.5"N 1°04'00.6"W
When do you plan to visit ? If before end of Feb could you confirm it still being used by Motorhomes and they have all the services, less lecce. Fairly sure it will have as it is a very large truck stop and more or less in constant use.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry couldn't resist(y)

As a Former holder of the award, I am qualified to award you:

PEDANT OF THE (........INSERT APPROPRIATE PERIOD.........):love:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's a new Aire at Carinena just off the A23 Zaragoza-Valencia dual carriageway.
Co-ords are: N41.338012 N1.2298312
Calle del Carmen, 40
50400 Cariñena, Zaragoza

Not used it yet but I found it this morning and it just could be stop for our journey home from Calpe, next month.

http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=296142.0

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This location is in the middle of a field off the N240 ?????

Sorry about that.

Changed the Co-ords. Duff info at the top of the Furgo site which I copied, Doh!!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not a problem. I had a look on Google maps but could not find the Aire. I guess the map is older than the Aire.

The Aire is apparently beside the Sports Centre and when the OP on Furgo went, the Janitor at the Sports Centre was kind enough to allow the Furgo (Van) user to use the 'Facilities' the use of the ones in the Centre.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Unable to find sports centre on google maps ?

I will not comment on your fitness to find the Sports Centre, either fitness wise or ocular.
Suffice to say, the address (which I have posted) viz.
Calle del Carmen, 40
50400 Cariñena, Zaragoza

should guide you to the address.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Although it gives that address number the google strret view plonks you in the centre of the stree outside the dereclict plots. The sports centre is at the end of road on the right , green roofed building with the woman & child in road in front of .
Here is a link to the area de pernoctos showing the actual site in front of sports centre. (That end of road appears to be number 52 ? )

http://www.areasac.es/carinena/zaragoza/carinena_3762_1_ap.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back