Bilbao to Benecassim- first time (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Hi everyone
Finally taking to the (hopefully) Spansih sun for 6 weeks mid Feb to late March.

Dock at Bilbao abt 12.30 15/2 and hope to arrive at Bonterra Park on 18/2

Any tips on best routes and recommended stopovers en route would be much appreciated - though we've done France many times this is first foray into Spain so Might lean towards using sites rather than on this occasion - may get braver on return trip :)

Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your Sat Nav will sort you out. As for stopovers Camper Contact will also sort you out.
For your consideration on future trips, or just ignore/delete at your pleasure.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@PhilandMena COUGH,...... Start point = BILBAO ;)

(y)(y)

@MuddyPuddle One stop over and your there next day... Zarragosa campsite, expensive, dusty and a waste of money in my view. That time of year will be cold and even a chance of snow so I would get down to the south ASAP.. There is an aire and also a truckstop at Carinenea just south of Zaragossa. Popular stopover on the way down..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@PhilandMena COUGH,...... Start point = BILBAO ;)

(y)(y)

@MuddyPuddle One stop over and your there next day... Zarragosa campsite, expensive, dusty and a waste of money in my view. That time of year will be cold and even a chance of snow so I would get down to the south ASAP.. There is an aire and also a truckstop at Carinenea just south of Zaragossa. Popular stopover on the way down..
Suggest you read my post again !

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Campsite at Zaragoza, not cheap but convenient if you want a site, lots of other places to stop as detailed in the apps mentioned by @PhilandMena.

From Zaragoza I would advise using the A23 towards Valencia at that time of year, the whole journey is easily doable to arrive the next day.
Agree with this recommendation. Toll free and very good roads. If you want scenic with a nice stopover visit Morella via the N232. Lots of road works completed recently to improve the road as quite twisty in places. If you do stay at Morella drive up into the top car park and overnight there. Better than the Aire below and plenty of room for larger motorhomes.
Safe Travels,

Deleted User
Agree with this recommendation. Toll free and very good roads. If you want scenic with a nice stopover visit Morella via the N232. Lots of road works completed recently to improve the road as quite twisty in places. If you do stay at Morella drive up into the top car park and overnight there. Better than the Aire below and plenty of room for larger motorhomes.
Safe Travels,

Still lots of roadworks on the N232 north of Morella in the Monroyo area and will be for quite a while, tunnels, viaducts, major project.

We came down on the 3rd of October.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
In February i suspect u may struggle to find campsites open.

But for me i would drive to ACSI site in Burgos. It is not to far from Bilbao and as it might be cold and foggy it is as far as i would want to do.

In March this year we had rain, fog and freezing temperatures on this leg. The rain and fog lasted well into central Spain.

Then Arenquez near Madrid. Hopefully the temperatures at night will now be above freezing.

Then a dash for the Costas. Sunny and hopefully warm all day now. :)

Deleted User
But for me i would drive to ACSI site in Burgos. It is not to far from Bilbao and as it might be cold and foggy it is as far as i would want to do.

Then Arenquez near Madrid. Hopefully the temperatures at night will now be above freezing.

Unfortunately neither of which are on the route to Benicassim:)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have done Bilbao to campsite at Haro several times, the campsite is ok, open all year, you should get there easily before dark, its just a couple of hours drive on toll road, ferry point is a few miles more out of Bilbao than I have indicated. Haro is interesting though we felt the wine sellers were rip off merchants, poor quality wine, high prices.

Then off in morning and a pretty long drive would get you to Benicassim next day. Or you could split that with another stop at Zarragoza. Once you clear Bilbao the toll roads are pretty empty, we tried going non toll around Zarragoza its much slower.
IMG_9468.PNG

IMG_9469.PNG

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Myself I'd go via sabinanago and monzon.Both have good stopovers and it's a more scenic route .Cheap fuel at monzon opposite a supermarket

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's barely 6 hours.
I agree with @tonka in that anything before Teruel south can easily be below zero & snow. I'd want to be across there without many stops.
Most of the roadside fuel stations have large parkingareas for overnighting if wanted.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Your Sat Nav will sort you out. As for stopovers Camper Contact will also sort you out.
For your consideration on future trips, or just ignore/delete at your pleasure.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed
He is docking in Bilbao,,,BUSBY,,

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have done Bilbao to campsite at Haro several times, the campsite is ok, open all year, you should get there easily before dark, its just a couple of hours drive on toll road, ferry point is a few miles more out of Bilbao than I have indicated. Haro is interesting though we felt the wine sellers were rip off merchants, poor quality wine, high prices.

Then off in morning and a pretty long drive would get you to Benicassim next day. Or you could split that with another stop at Zarragoza. Once you clear Bilbao the toll roads are pretty empty, we tried going non toll around Zarragoza its much slower.
View attachment 192859
View attachment 192860
The campsite at Haro closes from early december until the end of January, not a problem for the OP but was for us as we didn't check the info we were given!

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The campsite at Haro closes from early december until the end of January, not a problem for the OP but was for us as we didn't check the info we were given!
Thanks Carolyn I'm just the hunter gatherer of information SWMBO will scrutinize all suggestions well before we set off.....and be checking hourly for adverse weather forecasts :)

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There is a dedicated truck stop on this route that is free, has ample parking including dedicated motorhome bays, a service area for motorhomes and all free. Used to have free lecce too but that was removed a couple of years ago. There are also hot showers, a bar, restaurant. fuel station and shop. I stop here every year and never had any problems.
https://www.truckfly.com/en/truck-stops-parkings-gas-stations/19272/petromiralles-marlofa-la-joyosa/
Thanks Phil for the mass of useful information in your replies :)

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
In February i suspect u may struggle to find campsites open.

In March this year we had rain, fog and freezing temperatures on this leg. The rain and fog lasted well into central Spain.

Then a dash for the Costas. Sunny and hopefully warm all day now. :)

Strangley, apart from us coming in to Santander, this is what we did this year.
I wanted a change and loved Burgos and Aranjuez. Then on to Benicassim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back